Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2022, 04:38 PM

10 posts, read 6,084 times

Advertisements

Due to construction plans for my home, I've rented a house nearby. The lease started in April 1st. Due to delays in construction, we have yet to move in. Over this past weekend, I receive a call from the landlord that they need the keys to enter the house to do a gas leak test. The KEY that they gave me at signing of the lease was the ONLY key. Now I'm wondering why there needs to be a gas leak test 3 weeks into the lease. Was there no gas the whole time?

When and why is a gas leak test required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 05:05 PM

22,737 posts, read 36,984,293 times
Why didn't you ASK THE LANDLORD when he told you? Or ask him now? Maybe someone smelled gas or there is a gas bill even though no one is living there.

Old 04-18-2022, 05:53 PM

10 posts, read 6,084 times
First, the landlord wasn't fluent in English. I had only communicated through the real estate agent for the rental. Second, I wasn't in the position to ask "WHY" as I was working when I received the call. Third, I received a text from the landlord saying that they need to schedule for their plumber to come into the home for the test and if it was ok, at which point I reiterated that we have not moved in yet and that they can go in. Furthermore, they had to pick up the key that they gave us to copy. Lastly, because there obviously was a communication issue, I chose to contact the realtor who we dealt with when leasing the property. When I contacted him and explained the issue, he responded that the landlord was only complying to National grid's request for an annual leak test for safety issues and that it requires to enter the home. I explained that I never heard of it before and the realtor claims he has. I, in return, explain that I have lived in the area for the past 5 years and have never been requested by National grid to do so. Then he says that he misunderstood and that the landlord was performing their annual safety check.

My post was just asking when and/or why a gas test was required. As I was contracted to enter the home on April 1st, it should have been move in ready with no issues regardless of whether I moved in or not. Especially since the lease was signed 2 weeks prior to initiation. Whatever issues should've been resolved before the move-in date. We are paying 4k per month for the home and expect the home to be move in ready at start of the lease.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:15 PM

783 posts, read 1,431,994 times
Maybe landlord needs to perform a gas pressure test. That is required when a new gas appliance is installed and needed to close out on a permit.

Old 04-19-2022, 05:45 AM

28 posts, read 17,612 times
The real estate agent is correct. I received a letter from national grid back in February or march of this year requesting access for a gas leak test that is required by NY state law. I believe this is the first year they are doing this. The test is being done by an outsourced company, not national grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island