Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:59 AM

783 posts, read 1,426,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So you're not coming in from LI? I was curious as to which line you were taking to GC. Never take subways either.
Base on the temp schedule, I can take the Ronkonkoma or Port Jeff lines. I can commute out of Bethpage or Hicksville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 10:47 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,555,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Base on the temp schedule, I can take the Ronkonkoma or Port Jeff lines. I can commute out of Bethpage or Hicksville.
Awesome, thanks.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:29 PM
exm

3,732 posts, read 1,790,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
They need to color code the trains that head to Penn one color and the ones that head to Grand Central another.

It is confusing and in what is likely the biggest overhaul of LIRR schedule changes in forever you need to highlight from the origin station on the Island which train goes where since they seem to alternate. (so if you miss your train to Grand Central it looks like the next train is to Penn, so you may have a much longer wait for the next train to Grand Central). But you get more options.

The biggest change is there will no longer be connecting trains at Jamaica, which is nice. And folks who work in the midtown East business core will have a short walk to work now. Reverse peak commuters also benefit.

Folks who have a one seat ride to downtown Brooklyn to connect to the subways to get to lower Manhattan will likely also see an impact now as they would need to a) take the train to Grand Central and get on the dreaded 4/5 express downtown or b) take the train to Penn and take West side subways to lower Manhattan or c) change at Jamaica and wait for a shuttle train to Atlantic (which is going to be tracks 9/10 and may require a longer wait).

At this point, I'd probably recommend folks who go to Brooklyn now go to Penn and catch the 2/3 express downtown as opposed to Grand Central.

A lot of folks who commute from the Island don't really know NYC subways that well aside from whatever train they catch at Penn to get to their jobs. Now you have more options via East Side subways.

There's a lot of people working withing walking distance of Penn near Hudson Yards or Times Square. Those people are getting screwed, it's not even funny. Usually I'm taking a 8:05 express train to Penn arriving at 8:50. 10 Minute walk to Hudson Square. Done. Coming home I had the option of 4 trains between 5 and 6:30. Now? Inbound a local train with a transfer at Jamaica arriving at either 8:20 or 9:20 in Penn. Going back there are exactly 2 trains and that's it. How is that an improvement? Does the LIRR even know about the Hudson Yards area? Epic fail.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:04 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,413,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
There's a lot of people working withing walking distance of Penn near Hudson Yards or Times Square. Those people are getting screwed, it's not even funny. Usually I'm taking a 8:05 express train to Penn arriving at 8:50. 10 Minute walk to Hudson Square. Done. Coming home I had the option of 4 trains between 5 and 6:30. Now? Inbound a local train with a transfer at Jamaica arriving at either 8:20 or 9:20 in Penn. Going back there are exactly 2 trains and that's it. How is that an improvement? Does the LIRR even know about the Hudson Yards area? Epic fail.
WaH wah...Cry me a river.

Old 06-03-2022, 03:11 PM

544 posts, read 942,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
you are making an assumption they care what the riders want,,,
LMAO They've already ignored the concept of efficiency and lower fares...why would they care about anything else, right?

Old 06-04-2022, 07:01 PM

3,531 posts, read 5,718,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
you pay over $400 a month for a ticket and they screw up your service, then tell me how you feel

Old 06-05-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
you pay over $400 a month for a ticket and they screw up your service, then tell me how you feel
I did it for 11 years, and get it. EVERYTHING about the LIRR blows.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:17 AM
exm

Quote:

Quote:
I did it for 11 years, and get it. EVERYTHING about the LIRR blows.

If you did this for 11 years, why are you commenting like this? You must feel the frustration of us. Geez.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
If you did this for 11 years, why are you commenting like this? You must feel the frustration of us. Geez.
Because I did something about it. I work on li now.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:52 AM
exm

Quote:
Because I did something about it. I work on li now.

We don't all have the luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island