Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 09:51 AM

352 posts, read 386,844 times

Advertisements

I received a phone call from PSEGLI requesting I contact them regarding meter replacement.
I have no problem with them installing the smart meter, but I don't feel I should have to bear the expense.
They are telling me that my meter pan may be too small and too old (circa 1943) to accommodate the smart meter, and that it would be my responsibility to have the pan replaced by a licensed electrician at a cost of upwards $1K. If not upgraded by 8/1/2022 they will start surcharging $15/mo.
Does this sound right? I don't understand why I should be obligated to incur a large expense in order for them to upgrade the meter so as to reduce their labor expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2022, 11:04 AM

1,465 posts, read 757,268 times
I opted out last year and they said they will eventually charge me. I guess that time has come sadly.

Old 06-11-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I opted out last year and they said they will eventually charge me. I guess that time has come sadly.
Do you know if the $15 charge is per reading or per month. My meter is read once every two months, so if it were per reading the surcharge would equate to $7.50 per month.
But the part about me having to replace the meter pan at my expense is what I find disturbing.

Old 06-11-2022, 01:23 PM

When I spoke to just the worker to install it I said no thanks since I was home. He said it will be a monthly fee. I never confirmed it. This was over a year ago. I have to call them Monday and ask now that You posted this.

Edit

Here’s the link with more info.

https://www.opt-outlongisland.com/how-to-opt-out.html

No, only customers with a non-communicating digital meter will have to pay a monthly service fee starting January 2023.

^Pseg website says 1/23 they will start charging.

Last edited by 94nasupra; 06-11-2022 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-11-2022, 01:53 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
I received a phone call from PSEGLI requesting I contact them regarding meter replacement.
I have no problem with them installing the smart meter, but I don't feel I should have to bear the expense.
They are telling me that my meter pan may be too small and too old (circa 1943) to accommodate the smart meter, and that it would be my responsibility to have the pan replaced by a licensed electrician at a cost of upwards $1K. If not upgraded by 8/1/2022 they will start surcharging $15/mo.
Does this sound right? I don't understand why I should be obligated to incur a large expense in order for them to upgrade the meter so as to reduce their labor expenses.
Unfortunately they are correct here. The pan is actually 100% the homeowners responsibility not PSEG’s

Old 06-12-2022, 02:28 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,482 times
What a load of crap.

Old 06-12-2022, 05:45 AM

259 posts, read 174,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
When I spoke to just the worker to install it I said no thanks since I was home. He said it will be a monthly fee. I never confirmed it. This was over a year ago. I have to call them Monday and ask now that You posted this.

Edit

Here’s the link with more info.

https://www.opt-outlongisland.com/how-to-opt-out.html

No, only customers with a non-communicating digital meter will have to pay a monthly service fee starting January 2023.

^Pseg website says 1/23 they will start charging.
Don't believe the nonsense the website above states about cancer risks. You get more radiation, etc from your cellphone. And you have that right next to your ear, and in you pocket.

Old 06-12-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbathunter View Post
Don't believe the nonsense the website above states about cancer risks. You get more radiation, etc from your cellphone. And you have that right next to your ear, and in you pocket.
Trust me I know. Easier to pay it than argue with my significant other sadly

Old 06-12-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Unfortunately they are correct here. The pan is actually 100% the homeowners responsibility not PSEG’s
I understand the pan is my responsibility.

However I don't understand why it's my responsibility to upgrade the pan and associated wiring so as to accommodate a new PSEG meter when there is nothing defective with the current meter/ pan.

I have no objection to PSEG upgrading to a smart meter at my home, they could do it tomorrow if they want. However I don't feel I should be required to bear any of the costs associated with the smart meter upgrade.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:23 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
I understand the pan is my responsibility.

However I don't understand why it's my responsibility to upgrade the pan and associated wiring so as to accommodate a new PSEG meter when there is nothing defective with the current meter/ pan.

I have no objection to PSEG upgrading to a smart meter at my home, they could do it tomorrow if they want. However I don't feel I should be required to bear any of the costs associated with the smart meter upgrade.
You actually don’t have to. You always have the option to not upgrade and pay the 15 dollar surcharge next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island