Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 07:52 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2022/08/04/maryla...ns-house-fire/

This is an absolute tragedy. 2 sisters who had their whole lives ahead of them are gone because of a house fire. My deepest sympathies goes out to the family for their loss as I do not know how I would be able to handle this horrible situation if I was in this predicament.

However there is a sentence in the article that just does not sit well with me "Their father reportedly tried to re-enter the house to save his daughters but could not penetrate the flames."

I'm speaking for myself when I say this but I know that those flames would not stop me from trying to save my children's lives. I would have done everything possible and without a shadow of doubt I would have risked my own life to save them. There is no way I would ever be able to live with myself if I didn't. Maybe I'm not a rational thinker but my kids are my life. My job is to protect them no matter what. Even if they were grown adults. Once again I'm speaking for myself here. Maybe others don't feel how I do about my children.

RIP Jillian and Lindsay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 11:59 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Ridiculous to say you would run through flames. How exactly would you rescue someone (actually two people) on the second floor when you're on fire on the first? This is not about experiencing pain, it's about what happens to a body experiencing extreme trauma.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:59 PM

According to the article "Their father reportedly tried to re-enter the house to save his daughters but could not penetrate the flames." In all honesty as soon as you (the father) noticed the smoke and broken glass wouldn't your first instincts be to make sure your kids and family are safe before you ran outside? Not saying I would think logically but if 2 of my kids were upstairs in a burning house there is no chance I wouldn't try make my way up there to get them.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:17 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
However there is a sentence in the article that just does not sit well with me "Their father reportedly tried to re-enter the house to save his daughters but could not penetrate the flames."

I'm speaking for myself when I say this but I know that those flames would not stop me from trying to save my children's lives. I would have done everything possible and without a shadow of doubt I would have risked my own life to save them. There is no way I would ever be able to live with myself if I didn't. Maybe I'm not a rational thinker but my kids are my life. My job is to protect them no matter what. Even if they were grown adults. Once again I'm speaking for myself here. Maybe others don't feel how I do about my children.
the implication that you love your kids more than this poor guy loved his daughters is laughable. It sure is easy to be brave and say "what I would have done" from your keyboard.

Last edited by S.I.B.; 08-04-2022 at 01:27 PM..

Old 08-04-2022, 01:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
You have no idea what he did, didn't do, thought, knew, thought he knew - it was 3 a.m. - it's mind boggling to me that people think they will know exactly what they will do in any given situation.

If I wake up in the middle of the night IN MY OWN HOME to smoke and fire I'm probably completely dazed and panicked. I'd like to think I'd first try to get to my kids (who like these girls are young adults). If I wake up in the middle of the night in a rental multiple that confusion by 100.

Let's also remember we don't know what actually happened, only what the media is reporting.

People like to think nothing bad can ever happen to them because "I'd do this". You really have no idea. Let's not pile on this poor man.

Old 08-04-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
the implication that you love your kids more than this poor guy loved his daughters is laughable. It sure is easy to be brave and say "what I would have done" from your keyboard.
And how would you possibly know how much I love my kids and what I would do for them? And how would you know how much this father loved his kids?

Old 08-05-2022, 09:31 AM

412 posts, read 289,325 times
I think the original poster has some type of social/emotional disorder. Let's give them a break.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:26 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
And how would you possibly know how much I love my kids and what I would do for them?
I don't know and I don't care. But YOU sure seem sure of the fact that you would have done more than what the father did. Which, again, is quite the assumption on your part when you don't know the whole story.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:00 AM

958 posts, read 1,105,731 times
How long before They start using the RACE CARD

Old 08-06-2022, 06:03 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Another day, another person on the internet trying to claim they are better than someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island