Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2022, 02:09 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times

Advertisements

Happened a few weeks back.
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...olice/3797944/

Reason I bring it up I was attacked by a Rottweiler/PB mix three weeks ago, broke it's restraining chain in half. Family has had this dog for years. The owner tackled the dog just as it lunged at me. Always knew it was going to get out and attack someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2022, 06:54 AM

5,804 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Family member lives few houses down from them. It was a horrific day.
I dont want to post details publicly.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:34 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
The impulse to defend pitfalls stems from the liberal belief in blank-slatism. It really is that simple. I think what provokes them is the cognitive dissonance between the fact that dog personalities correlate strongly with breed and the discomfort with extrapolating from that obvious truth.

The pitbull problem is a microcosm of liberalism in general. It's all there: the insistence on dogma that has no connection to reality, the refusal to listen to hard facts (there's plenty there because insurance companies have commissioned the studies), the willingness to sacrifice innocent people to prop up the dogma, the shrieking hysterics when the dogma is challenged. Arguing with a liberal about pitbulls and you realize why these people ruin everything they get put in charge of.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The impulse to defend pitfalls stems from the liberal belief in blank-slatism. It really is that simple. I think what provokes them is the cognitive dissonance between the fact that dog personalities correlate strongly with breed and the discomfort with extrapolating from that obvious truth.

The pitbull problem is a microcosm of liberalism in general. It's all there: the insistence on dogma that has no connection to reality, the refusal to listen to hard facts (there's plenty there because insurance companies have commissioned the studies), the willingness to sacrifice innocent people to prop up the dogma, the shrieking hysterics when the dogma is challenged. Arguing with a liberal about pitbulls and you realize why these people ruin everything they get put in charge of.
Very well put.

You can live with a Alligator and he might not snap, but one day he might.
Why live with a pit bull? Ever hear of a Poodle killing a person? A Yorkie? German Sheppard? No.

The breed is a violent one. YOu can domesticate it all you want to, Just like a bear, but why live with something that can kill any second.
People who own them are very insecure and try to prove their worth by owning a dangerous unwanted dog.
This is why the dog is popular in the hood and not on Park ave.

Old 08-18-2022, 10:11 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Dogs will always follow their breeding. I have a lab. He's obsessed with birds, he just doesn't know why LOL. He's caught a few and doesn't know what to do next - he just carries them around. Something in his DNA is telling him to do that. Can't overcome it. Same with herding breeds, hunting breeds, etc.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:25 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I grew up with dogs my whole life poodles, labs, sheltie, mutts, and now a golden doodle. None of which are "known" to be troublesome generally speaking. When we were kids, whenever someone would ask my dad if "he was friendly or does he bite" or some variation of that, he would reply. "He has always been friendly til now, or he has not bitten anyone yet". He stressed to us that it is still a dog and as such caution needs to be considered. My golden doodle could kill you will kisses and snuggles and I would be the most stunned individual if he ever harmed anyone. That said, I respond as my dad did.

This pitbull had suffered the loss of his master not more than 10 days before. They were inseparable until his master died. My theory is that he was missing his master and when the mom tried to play with him or perhaps feed him something went terribly wrong.

This home was across a school yard from my childhood home and I could see into the yard when playing. Prior to moving, I was a few blocks away to the east. I too, know some of neighbors that currently live there, and it is a terrible tragedy.

Old 08-18-2022, 11:58 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I grew up with dogs my whole life poodles, labs, sheltie, mutts, and now a golden doodle. None of which are "known" to be troublesome generally speaking. When we were kids, whenever someone would ask my dad if "he was friendly or does he bite" or some variation of that, he would reply. "He has always been friendly til now, or he has not bitten anyone yet". He stressed to us that it is still a dog and as such caution needs to be considered. My golden doodle could kill you will kisses and snuggles and I would be the most stunned individual if he ever harmed anyone. That said, I respond as my dad did.

This pitbull had suffered the loss of his master not more than 10 days before. They were inseparable until his master died. My theory is that he was missing his master and when the mom tried to play with him or perhaps feed him something went terribly wrong.

This home was across a school yard from my childhood home and I could see into the yard when playing. Prior to moving, I was a few blocks away to the east. I too, know some of neighbors that currently live there, and it is a terrible tragedy.
Yes on all counts.

All dogs are friendly till they're not - this is why people who let their dog off leash and say "oh don't worry he's friendly" are so freaking annoying - my dog doesn't react well to dogs off leash.

And this dog as you pointed out lost it's "alpha" - that's a huge thing in a dog's world.

There are people out there who shouldn't own dogs. No fault on them, but if you're gonna own a dog you need to know how to handle it. These people were in a really bad position and it cost them. The poor husband and father who lost two people in two weeks.

Old 08-18-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes on all counts.

All dogs are friendly till they're not - this is why people who let their dog off leash and say "oh don't worry he's friendly" are so freaking annoying - my dog doesn't react well to dogs off leash.

And this dog as you pointed out lost it's "alpha" - that's a huge thing in a dog's world.

There are people out there who shouldn't own dogs. No fault on them, but if you're gonna own a dog you need to know how to handle it. These people were in a really bad position and it cost them. The poor husband and father who lost two people in two weeks.
Dog belonged to his step son. Woman that was killed was his second wife, a mother of the guy who died a week earlier on a bike.

Old 08-18-2022, 04:18 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Arguing with a liberal about pitbulls and you realize why these people ruin everything they get put in charge of.

I doubt if the majority of pit bull owners are liberals. Usually they are uneducated insecure people who
believe that they have to prove that they are cool outsiders who have an outsider dog .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-18-2022, 04:40 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Fact:
Opinions....... everyone has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: