Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2022, 09:32 PM

54 posts, read 47,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
I actually like Texas, esp the Dallas and Austin areas. San Antonio is very nice too with the riverwalk there. The food is great in Texas, the ppl are friendly, and the cost of living is pretty low compared to NY. Also I am not sure if you care about politics, but I like that Texas is more of a red "conservative" state.
As you know here in NY it's super liberal blue state and those policies have spilled over to LI and it's changed.

You say you are from Franklin square? I live in West Hempstead right next door and let me tell you it's getting like Queens now. Cars parked all along the side streets at night just like Queens, no room, over crowded, traffic at all times of the day now on the Southern state and Belt. And since you left taxes and houses have only gone up due to the whole Covid spike in real estate here.

I know you want to come back, just be prepared what you are coming back to.

Imo, the only thing I think I'd miss about NY is the food (pizza, bagels, sushi). Other than that, say in FL or Texas.....it's warmer (no snow which I like) , the water and beaches are cleaner, the streets are cleaner, the ppl are nicer, and the taxes are all much lower.

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to come back to LI once they left, unless you were going to go live in Westchester or somewhere upstate where there is less ppl and it's more rural. I really like the Finger Lakes region around Ithaca, it's very nice up there.
I lived in Mckinney 45 mins north of Dallas, it gets cold in the winter and they get ice storms. It’s hot most of the time and there is some really wicked weather there. But I still liked it very much, but it didn’t feel like home to me. I miss the a lot about NY weather, the beaches, food, people, NYC, the vibe, etc

I’m not sure about west Hempstead but Franklin square always was like queens with the parking. But then again I lived right off Hempstead turnpike. Once you move give it a few months or a few years, the newness wears off. You start to see things about your new home and miss things about your old home.
I was in Franklin square tonight it doesn’t look as nice as it did when I left, but I saw it coming years ago. Other places I drove by still looked nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 09:51 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
The real appeal of course is the tech industry there if that is your field it’s becoming Silicon Valley east.
Unfortunately true. One of the reasons we moved here was to make it easier for the kids to get a start in life, but houses in my subdivision starting at $700K puts them back at square one. And it's all Apple money.

Old 09-18-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Unfortunately true. One of the reasons we moved here was to make it easier for the kids to get a start in life, but houses in my subdivision starting at $700K puts them back at square one. And it's all Apple money.
One of my reasons too, only difference is my kids are very young (2 and 8). When I came to NC it was cheap, so I could over look a lot of things. But now it’s expensive too and I still don’t like it.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:53 AM

426 posts, read 959,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
Cary and most of NC is very dull, come down a pay a visit. It’s like living in a fish bowl and once you leave that fish bowl it’s hill billy hell. I’m 37 with two young kids and I hate it here, I would have killed myself living here without kids
Interesting, I'm 41 and the wife and I still try and go out to eat once or twice a week on the weekend and hit up the occasional bar just to feel young lol.

Does Cary/ Raleigh not have a good restaurant scene or nightlife? No cool bars or anything? Raleigh is a college town so I feel like there would be tons of young people/ bars/ nightlife/ things to do......

Just remember if you come back to LI each of you needs to be making at least 100k......both people need a 6 figure income to survive here now. 200k minimum.

And if you come back to Nassau (ie- West hempstead, Franklin square) as I'm sure you know the houses and lot sizes are very small and you'll still be paying 700k for a 1700 sq foot house on a 100x 100 lot.

If you're looking for value it's definitely not here, esp since Covid shot the prices up in NY. Houses are still being overbid by 20-30k over the ask price.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:08 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Interesting, I'm 41 and the wife and I still try and go out to eat once or twice a week on the weekend and hit up the occasional bar just to feel young lol.

Does Cary/ Raleigh not have a good restaurant scene or nightlife? No cool bars or anything? Raleigh is a college town so I feel like there would be tons of young people/ bars/ nightlife/ things to do......

Just remember if you come back to LI each of you needs to be making at least 100k......both people need a 6 figure income to survive here now. 200k minimum.

And if you come back to Nassau (ie- West hempstead, Franklin square) as I'm sure you know the houses and lot sizes are very small and you'll still be paying 700k for a 1700 sq foot house on a 100x 100 lot.

If you're looking for value it's definitely not here, esp since Covid shot the prices up in NY. Houses are still being overbid by 20-30k over the ask price.
Except the Nassau county household median income is 120k and Suffolk is 105k so somehow plenty are surviving on less.

Old 09-19-2022, 01:28 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Except the Nassau county household median income is 120k and Suffolk is 105k so somehow plenty are surviving on less.
They must be living in an outdated ranch with no swimming pool and driving a 5 year old used car…lol!!!

Old 09-19-2022, 05:42 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
They must be living in an outdated ranch with no swimming pool and driving a 5 year old used car…lol!!!
The horror!

Old 09-19-2022, 05:51 PM

Quote:

If you come down to Raleigh and want to hang out at college bars you can hit up Glenwood ave. But Why would you want to hang out at college bars there all in the 20’s. Restaurant seen is very weak here, there’s some places, but it’s not the foodie town they make it out to be. Also if your looking for all the Italian stuff you find on Long Island you can forget it. Don’t mention bagels, Chinese or pizza or you will be chased out of town with pitchforks and torches

Hell I have a house in fuquay my lot is 60x100, don’t come down here excepting a huge house with a lot of property unless your going to spend about 600-700k. If you want that you’ll have to move out with the hillbilly’s, nothing around for miles.

I like having stores and restaurants close by, I hate feeling like I live in the sticks. Come down maybe you will like it. I mean I grew up in Long Island and used to work in NYC so I’m used to having lots of options

Last edited by chrisacm2117; 09-19-2022 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-20-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That seems really low, or it's people who bought their houses in the 80's or early 90's thirty years ago and paid it off now.

No way a couple is making 120K together here and affording a 700K house. Say that they even put down 150K and theyre still carrying a 550K mortgage.....their payments are easily over 3000 a month just for the mortgage not including taxes.

I dont put too much stock in median income statistics.

The past two years with the Covid housing boom people were paying 500K-700K all cash deals so i dont know where these people get their money from.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
If you come down to Raleigh and want to hang out at college bars you can hit up Glenwood ave. But Why would you want to hang out at college bars there all in the 20’s. Restaurant seen is very weak here, there’s some places, but it’s not the foodie town they make it out to be. Also if your looking for all the Italian stuff you find on Long Island you can forget it. Don’t mention bagels, Chinese or pizza or you will be chased out of town with pitchforks and torches

Hell I have a house in fuquay my lot is 60x100, don’t come down here excepting a huge house with a lot of property unless your going to spend about 600-700k. If you want that you’ll have to move out with the hillbilly’s, nothing around for miles.

I like having stores and restaurants close by, I hate feeling like I live in the sticks. Come down maybe you will like it. I mean I grew up in Long Island and used to work in NYC so I’m used to having lots of options
I plan to come down soon to see Charlotte and Raleigh. You see, i dont mind getting in the car and driving 20 minutes to the store or the mall or Costco, i put on my music and it's soothing. I don't need to be 5 minutes away from everywhere because you know what that creates? Congestion and overcrowdedness!

It takes me 45 minutes to go 10 miles on the southern state and it's infuriating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island