Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2022, 12:30 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
I’m 37 with two kids, so it would be returning to LI and working. I come to city-data to get opinions from those who are older and most of the time wiser. I have posts on other boards asking the same questions to a the younger crowd as well
Thanks for clarifying. I was born in Jackson Heights, grew up on LI, lived in other states, traveled in more, & came back here to live again when my child was entering 7th grade, had to live with family at first but soon got back on my feet. <—- very long run on sentence there apologize I do not regret my decision to move back to LI, we are happy here. Of course I have every day regrets about various decisions I make but that is alright, who doesn’t? I am no Goddess or God or even an Angel The cost of living here is high but for us it is worth it. The thing I think about is would I be able to take advantage of the many benefits of living here if I was retired or not working or … ? I would have more time to do so but could I afford to live here if I was retired or not working or not receiving cost of living increases. Like that.

I hope that is helpful to you & yours & best wishes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 06:44 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
the correct way haha ! When I go to my local beach on the LI Sound , I sit facing the water even though everyone else faces the wrong way !
I am lost in this conversation. How is there a right or wrong way to face on the beach? Wouldn’t people simply face the water? Why would you face the opposite way and look at parking lots or concession stands, or even the people behind you. It’s like going to a movie and facing the back of the projector

Old 09-24-2022, 07:12 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am lost in this conversation. How is there a right or wrong way to face on the beach? Wouldn’t people simply face the water? Why would you face the opposite way and look at parking lots or concession stands, or even the people behind you. It’s like going to a movie and facing the back of the projector
Because some just go to the beach to sunbath? That’s what I’m guessing.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:16 AM

690 posts, read 584,982 times
Quote:
Not every beach has parking lots and concession stands. It's a joke, hardcore beach bums get it.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:56 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
In the event that you really are lost. On LI, I could go and sit at the beach facing the water and watching it lap the shoreline for hours. Here, you can watch the water, but you have your back facing the sun. For most lathering up on lotion and sunblock is easier on the front side than the back, Additionally, typically the beach declines as it gets closer to the water due to the tides eroding the sand, so you are also sitting angled backwards as opposed to frontwards, depending upon how close you are to the water. Is it a tragedy - certainly not, but it was a shock after spending 59 years looking at water, only to have to turn your back on it now. This year was particularly difficult because the beaches suffered major erosion after several storms (going through it again as I write). Three separate occasions this summer we had 3 foot drops from the dunes to the beach and had to wait til they deemed it safe to reopen the beaches. They do and did a great job though.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:02 PM

249 posts, read 515,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I am not a native of LI, grew up in queens, so I cant wait to GTFO this POS island. Traffic, rude entitled morons, high taxes, crap roads. I seriously don't see the draw, other than bagels, and pizza. Only thing holding me here is my job. 4 more years, and I'm out. I couldn't imagine moving back here. WTF!

Funniest thing I've read here in awhile. I agree with you. I already punched my ticket out of this cesspool by purchasing a house in NC. Only 21 months left to retire and buh bye !! You can keep the high taxes, ****ty winters, bad attitudes, and backwards politics.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:10 PM

249 posts, read 515,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
SNIP

As to islanders comment, yea, it can be hard to leave family, I understand that.....but in my opinion, it shouldn't be the reason you stay either. Are you married to your husband or are you married to your parents? They will always be there, and if anything, a 2 hour flight back to NY to visit, which is nothing, we can do that any weekend and at any time.

I never understood people's predilection to stay close to family......ya they are important, but are they so important that you have to be forced to stay in NY and forego having a better QOL elsewhere just bc you want to be near them? I never really understood that logic, but I'm a guy so......I guess maybe I think differently. That's why they have planes and trains and cars.....to go visit ppl.

You Sir, hit the nail on the head with your post !!
I have family in NY (the cards I was dealt) however, I also have a wife (the person I chose) so........I'm going to make my life with the person I chose and not be held down by the cards I was dealt.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:27 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Because some just go to the beach to sunbath? That’s what I’m guessing.
Then why not just lay in the backyard? Same sun as the beach. The only thing that’s different is the ocean and the sand. I hate the beach and haven’t gone since the 80s but when I did go, I never thought about which way I faced. I always laid on a towel. Never sat in a chair. It didn’t matter which way I laid on a towel. I either faced up or down. N,s,e,w did not even occur to me. I would never face opposite the ocean. Nothing to see there other than thousands of people.

Old 09-25-2022, 05:20 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Then why not just lay in the backyard? Same sun as the beach. The only thing that’s different is the ocean and the sand. I hate the beach and haven’t gone since the 80s but when I did go, I never thought about which way I faced. I always laid on a towel. Never sat in a chair. It didn’t matter which way I laid on a towel. I either faced up or down. N,s,e,w did not even occur to me. I would never face opposite the ocean. Nothing to see there other than thousands of people.

So there you have it. I do enjoy the beach and going into the water, something that thankfully I did not have in my back yard.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:53 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
you may be on to something. Why go to the beach on a 95 degree day in August when you an sit in your postage stamp sized backyard and REALLY enjoy yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island