Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2024, 04:04 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Who cares. He can post where ever he wants. Maybe he likes to keep up with friends on the this forum.

What makes me want to move off Long Island is the downright rudeness of Long Island drivers with this "me first" attitude. Everyday there is an a-hole on the road.
Come out to Brooklyn. You’ll see real aholes and a lot of straight up dangerous dummies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 04:54 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Lot of people missing the point of what I posted.

That good LI education at work.

My point - again - a location does not solve your problems.

If you're in debt on LI you can move anywhere you want, but if you keep outspending your earnings, you will stay in debt.

You have a crappy marriage, crappy kids, a new location isn't changing that.

You hate your job and move your job to a new location you're still gonna hate it.

There are plenty of people who moved off LI who used to post here and hated where they ended up, because they had no real plan in place for when they moved. They hated where they moved too, because moving DIDN'T SOLVE WHAT AILS THEM.

You moved and you're happier? GREAT!! SO AM I!!! But there was not one specific problem that I sought to be solved by moving. And moving, particularly with small school age children, is a LOT of work. You're either committed to the process and doing right by them, or you're not. Lot of people aren't.

Oh. And if anything you read on CD works you up that much, you need to get a life, Jesus.

Old 01-29-2024, 05:58 PM

68 posts, read 25,461 times
I would never move back to LI. Glad I got out.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:03 PM

1,239 posts, read 311,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

If you're in debt on LI you can move anywhere you want, but if you keep outspending your earnings, you will stay in debt.

You hate your job and move your job to a new location you're still gonna hate it.

There are plenty of people who moved off LI who used to post here and hated where they ended up, because they had no real plan in place for when they moved. They hated where they moved too, because moving DIDN'T SOLVE WHAT AILS THEM.

You moved and you're happier? GREAT!! SO AM I!!! But there was not one specific problem that I sought to be solved by moving. And moving, particularly with small school age children, is a LOT of work. You're either committed to the process and doing right by them, or you're not. Lot of people aren't.

Oh. And if anything you read on CD works you up that much, you need to get a life, Jesus.
You’re not making much sense. What you write is way too broad. For some it works and for others it doesn’t. A lot of people get divorced. Does that mean people should stop getting married?

I’m looking to move to LI from Brooklyn for better schools, more space, and to get away from the ghetto/ handout class. Should I just stay in Brooklyn?

I would actually argue that many people wait too long to change their circumstances and therefore experience limited upside. It’s like staying in a bad job (unless the compensation is way above average). Most people should change jobs but they don’t or do it way too late.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:16 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
I left twice, once in '82 when my employer transferred me to New Jersey. BIG Mistake! It was like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire. Went back to the island in '85 and spent the next four years trying to get out and stay out. Finally moved out for good to New Hampshire. Less than a year later I bought a house for half of what it would have cost on LI. Haven't looked back since.

No income tax, lower cost of living, no traffic, no nosey neighbors! Live free or die!

Old 01-30-2024, 05:12 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamvmax1 View Post
I would never move back to LI. Glad I got out.
Wait didn’t you say you were working on fios upgrades in Brookhaven like a week ago?

Old 01-30-2024, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Correction he has a NYC education. Even worse lol

Old 01-30-2024, 07:48 AM

297 posts, read 132,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Correction he has a NYC education. Even worse lol
It is not how you start, but how you finish that really matters. NYC education is just a stop on your way to greatness. The only people who would disagree are the losers and complainers.

But really, Twingles your analogies make no sense. The thoughts are not cohesive or connected and why it fails to make a solid point. The listener is only as good as the speaker making their point - education is not the barrier. Anyways, Progress or improvement is not guaranteed, it requires time and effort - you said it yourself with the small kids comment.

Last edited by Uggggs; 01-30-2024 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-30-2024, 10:05 AM

I don't know why you keep seemingly responding to me Ugggs Ive had you on ignore for weeks. You are literally talking to yourself

Old 02-02-2024, 08:40 AM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
There’s no place like the North East.
I just couldn’t ever, never ever, live in the south.
Ever. I love New England in general. Maine, NH, parts of VT, they’re just awesome.
They all have dumpy areas like NYC/Schlong Island, but once you get away from metro areas it’s a different world. And you would mostly feel at home, as it’s all very familiar, similar.
It’s not like going to palm trees, bugs, and smothering miserable humidity.
NH is looking better to me, toying with ME. I am considering selling my VT home. Looking forward to the day when LI is in my rear view mirror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island