Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 06:56 AM

13,072 posts, read 18,305,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Those rules do not reflect the pandemic-era law passed in a number of Blue states allowing the counting of absentee ballots on receipt of the ballot.

Here is NY's:
https://www.democracydocket.com/wp-c.../10/S1027A.pdf

This legislation basically provides a map, before election day, of where the party needs to provide resources to "get out the vote". Yes, Republicans can play the same game but their support is spread out across NY. The Democrats registered voters are concentrated in NYC, Albany, Buffalo and Rochester. It's much less expensive and more efficient for the Dems to target their resources.
I will say in all honesty I only scanned your link and it appears to support what I stated. It is very possible that I missed the areas that it didn't however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 07:21 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,183,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
I get it. Politics. She conceded . She lost. There was no coup attempt against trump ....
Now that's pretty darn funny.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:12 AM

1,382 posts, read 1,711,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I will say in all honesty I only scanned your link and it appears to support what I stated. It is very possible that I missed the areas that it didn't however.
Section 1 - states explicitly the ballots are being opened.

Old 11-15-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Section 1 - states explicitly the ballots are being opened.
Of course they are opened. I never said they weren't. Here is my post

In NYS absentee ballots can be signature verified within 4 days of receipt, they can then be scanned bit no counted the day preceding the start of early voting. They can begin counting an hour before the polls close.

Here are the rules:
https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...can-begin.aspx

I was a poll chair for many years in NY. Apparently you are not familiar with an absentee ballot (can only speak to NY for certain, however, I believe it is fairly uniform)

NY Absentee ballot contains
A ballot
An affirmation envelope
Return Envelope

You vote on the ballot, fold it and place it in the affirmation envelope and seal it. The back of the ballot affirmation envelope has a box for your signature. You sign it and then place it in the return envelope, stamp it and mail it or drop it off to the BOE.

What is opened are the return envelopes. Then representatives of BOTH parties verify the signature with past signatures on file with that on the envelope without opening the affirmation envelope. IF it is unsigned or the signature is questioned, they get sorted into two different piles. They are then reviewed again.

So while the outer envelope is opened the inner one with the ballot is not.

Old 11-15-2022, 03:06 PM

1,382 posts, read 1,711,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Of course they are opened. I never said they weren't. Here is my post

In NYS absentee ballots can be signature verified within 4 days of receipt, they can then be scanned bit no counted the day preceding the start of early voting. They can begin counting an hour before the polls close.

Here are the rules:
https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...can-begin.aspx

I was a poll chair for many years in NY. Apparently you are not familiar with an absentee ballot (can only speak to NY for certain, however, I believe it is fairly uniform)

NY Absentee ballot contains
A ballot
An affirmation envelope
Return Envelope

You vote on the ballot, fold it and place it in the affirmation envelope and seal it. The back of the ballot affirmation envelope has a box for your signature. You sign it and then place it in the return envelope, stamp it and mail it or drop it off to the BOE.

What is opened are the return envelopes. Then representatives of BOTH parties verify the signature with past signatures on file with that on the envelope without opening the affirmation envelope. IF it is unsigned or the signature is questioned, they get sorted into two different piles. They are then reviewed again.

So while the outer envelope is opened the inner one with the ballot is not.
Sorry, keep reading Section 1, opened and counted.

That is the primary reason the Republican party in NY took the issue to the NY SC.

Old 11-15-2022, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry, keep reading Section 1, opened and counted.

That is the primary reason the Republican party in NY took the issue to the NY SC.
Start at line 42 and read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island