Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2022, 07:40 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,764,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
It's my hope that Hochul received a wake up call and realizes that she's gotta put serious effort into reducing crime and fixing the economy. To do otherwise would be foolish. These are issues that all NYers will support.
Cruella didn't think crime was a problem till 2 days before the election because everyone told her she was going to lose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 07:46 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,427,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Cruella didn't think crime was a problem till 2 days before the election because everyone told her she was going to lose
She will be back to letting the animals out, now that she won.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:18 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,002,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Haha that is Southwestern PA style.
Fetterman was a former mayor of Braddock PA.
I once attended a wedding not far from there in the Mon Valley. Guests wore flannel shirts and CAT hats. Great wedding .
My guess is he wanted to connect with his constituents, and it worked for him.
Not sure he’s currently making those sort of calculations while carefully weighing his sartorial options each morning.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:31 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,538,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
The fools that voted for her only care about abortion, abortion, abortion. Public Safety, the well being of their family members, the high cost of living, inflation, employment and education don't mean that much to them.
I don't even give them that much credit. Abortion played a non-zero role in this election, and damn SCOTUS for throwing that decision out there when the Democrats were busy shooting themselves in the foot.

Still, the Democratic machine is extremely efficient at getting out their voters, by hook or by crook. This is partly by necessity. Their voters are traditionally younger people and minorities, who have the lowest rate of actually showing up to vote on election day. Conversely, the Republican base has been fairly reliable voters, particularly older people, the religious right, etc. that show up en mass on election day to vote in person.

Thus, in the "old days", the Democratic machine would go into overdrive, getting people motivated to vote, going door to door meeting with voters - the "community organizer" role, famously played by Obama before he became a Senator, was all about this. And they reward their community organizers well - in Obama's case, with a Senator nod, and then President. Come election day, the party operatives would provide transportation to the polls, refreshments for those standing in line to vote, and sometimes other... ahem... incentives.

They still do those things, but in recent years they added new strategies. The fought for, and often won, bonuses like early voting and mail-in voting. These disproportionately benefit the left, since Democrats already have a numerical advantage in many places (50% of all registered voters in NY are Democrats), they just needed to give their voters more "opportunities" to vote.

This went into overdrive during Covid. You used to need some kind of reason to use an absentee or mail-in ballot, but those standards were relaxed, along with the verification standards - signature matching, for example, was removed in certain states. Other states allowed ballot drop boxes.

These things allow Democratic operatives to canvas areas and "help" voters fill out their ballots for them. They can go around to favorable neighborhoods, such as the Bronx, and get voters who were either indifferent, undecided, or too lazy, to cast their votes. Much of this is above-board, but you also have cases where operatives go to places like nursing homes in the ghetto and return with a stack of ballots all cast for Biden (or whoever).

On top of that, the time periods for mail-in ballots were extended dramatically. So if you're wondering how Fetterman won, he basically pulled a Biden - he made very limited appearances during the campaign, and the mainstream media, which is on his side, didn't much cover the fact that he was impaired. Meanwhile, in the background, their operatives were scurrying all over the cities of Pennsylvania, getting those mail-in ballots filled out and dropped off. By the time the debate rolled around, and everyone could see how bad he was, it didn't matter - the votes had already been cast. Election day itself was a foregone conclusion.

These things should have been obvious to the GOP after 2020 (or even earlier - the groundwork for this stuff was laid by the Stacey Abrams machine in Georgia in 2018). In some states, it was - Florida and Ohio, and to a lesser extent, Texas and Georgia, tightened up voting after 2020. You'll notice that there were no irregularities there this time. In Pennsylvania and Arizona though - nope, nothing was done, so they pulled the 2020 game all over again, and we're witnessing the same mess.

You'll notice I didn't use the word "fraud" once. Technically, it's mostly not fraud, or at least, it's not mostly illegal. Yeah, there's some of that too, but mostly it's relaxing voting standards and then letting the machine operatives take the lead with ballot harvesting.

When people say the 2020 election was "stolen" this is what they SHOULD be talking about. It was all outlined in the SCOTUS lawsuit filed by Texas (which was denied, probably rightly so, due to lack of standing). In many states, particularly swing states that had Republican-dominated legislatures but Democratic governors (e.g. Pennsylvania), the governors abused their Covid-related executive authority to relax voting standards, which enabled the Democrats to harvest more votes than they would have normally gotten. It was probably even easier then, since Trump was more polarizing. But it works just as well on getting stroked-out ogre into office. This isn't strictly legal, since Legislatures by law have the exclusive right to regulate voting within a state, however the GOP is generally spineless and didn't call them on it at the time.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:08 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,263,872 times
If they all cared about proper elections they would require the same rules that are generally accepted security regulations for many things. For example, no ID, you can't get a drivers license. You can't get certain medications at a pharmacy, you can't pick a child up from DayCare if you are not the parent or guardian, you can't open a bank account, etc.

Here, in Delaware, you need to present an id to vote. It can be a drivers license, a passport, a signed SS card, a signed car registration, a credit card with photo or other card with a signature or photo. In the absence of one of them you need to fill out and affidavit and you will then be given a provisional ballot. Once you are verified that ballot will then be counted. My drivers license was scanned into the scanner. I have no problem with that at all, other than they did not have any sanitizer to wipe it off with after the poll worker was handling it.

IF you are unable to stand on line, file for an absentee ballot. There is no need for mail in voting other than absentee. Typically less between 50% - 58% of those eligible to vote, do, according to nationwide statistics. We should certainly be able to handle that number. Every polling location has a chairperson. If there are conflicts, they are the ones with the phone to the BOE and ultimately the judges. I served as a chair on LI for 10 years and I always resolved the problems via those means. Of course even then, now 9 years ago, there were people who refused to believe that a provisional ballot would be counted and since we did not participate in that aspect of the count, I will admit that we had to take them at their word. That said, in my 10 years, I never once heard that there were small numbers that separated the winners from the losers and we rarely had more than at most 5 provisional ballots.

While I don't believe in a lot of Govt interference, this could easily be resolved by Election standards set out by the federal govt. Not by the individual states.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:16 PM

193 posts, read 272,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I don't even give them that much credit. Abortion played a non-zero role in this election, and damn SCOTUS for throwing that decision out there when the Democrats were busy shooting themselves in the foot.

Still, the Democratic machine is extremely efficient at getting out their voters, by hook or by crook. This is partly by necessity. Their voters are traditionally younger people and minorities, who have the lowest rate of actually showing up to vote on election day. Conversely, the Republican base has been fairly reliable voters, particularly older people, the religious right, etc. that show up en mass on election day to vote in person.

Thus, in the "old days", the Democratic machine would go into overdrive, getting people motivated to vote, going door to door meeting with voters - the "community organizer" role, famously played by Obama before he became a Senator, was all about this. And they reward their community organizers well - in Obama's case, with a Senator nod, and then President. Come election day, the party operatives would provide transportation to the polls, refreshments for those standing in line to vote, and sometimes other... ahem... incentives.

They still do those things, but in recent years they added new strategies. The fought for, and often won, bonuses like early voting and mail-in voting. These disproportionately benefit the left, since Democrats already have a numerical advantage in many places (50% of all registered voters in NY are Democrats), they just needed to give their voters more "opportunities" to vote.

This went into overdrive during Covid. You used to need some kind of reason to use an absentee or mail-in ballot, but those standards were relaxed, along with the verification standards - signature matching, for example, was removed in certain states. Other states allowed ballot drop boxes.

These things allow Democratic operatives to canvas areas and "help" voters fill out their ballots for them. They can go around to favorable neighborhoods, such as the Bronx, and get voters who were either indifferent, undecided, or too lazy, to cast their votes. Much of this is above-board, but you also have cases where operatives go to places like nursing homes in the ghetto and return with a stack of ballots all cast for Biden (or whoever).

On top of that, the time periods for mail-in ballots were extended dramatically. So if you're wondering how Fetterman won, he basically pulled a Biden - he made very limited appearances during the campaign, and the mainstream media, which is on his side, didn't much cover the fact that he was impaired. Meanwhile, in the background, their operatives were scurrying all over the cities of Pennsylvania, getting those mail-in ballots filled out and dropped off. By the time the debate rolled around, and everyone could see how bad he was, it didn't matter - the votes had already been cast. Election day itself was a foregone conclusion.

These things should have been obvious to the GOP after 2020 (or even earlier - the groundwork for this stuff was laid by the Stacey Abrams machine in Georgia in 2018). In some states, it was - Florida and Ohio, and to a lesser extent, Texas and Georgia, tightened up voting after 2020. You'll notice that there were no irregularities there this time. In Pennsylvania and Arizona though - nope, nothing was done, so they pulled the 2020 game all over again, and we're witnessing the same mess.

You'll notice I didn't use the word "fraud" once. Technically, it's mostly not fraud, or at least, it's not mostly illegal. Yeah, there's some of that too, but mostly it's relaxing voting standards and then letting the machine operatives take the lead with ballot harvesting.

When people say the 2020 election was "stolen" this is what they SHOULD be talking about. It was all outlined in the SCOTUS lawsuit filed by Texas (which was denied, probably rightly so, due to lack of standing). In many states, particularly swing states that had Republican-dominated legislatures but Democratic governors (e.g. Pennsylvania), the governors abused their Covid-related executive authority to relax voting standards, which enabled the Democrats to harvest more votes than they would have normally gotten. It was probably even easier then, since Trump was more polarizing. But it works just as well on getting stroked-out ogre into office. This isn't strictly legal, since Legislatures by law have the exclusive right to regulate voting within a state, however the GOP is generally spineless and didn't call them on it at the time.
That's a lot of sky screaming right there.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:16 PM

1,778 posts, read 3,253,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Not sure he’s currently making those sort of calculations while carefully weighing his sartorial options each morning.
for the people of PA, it was either him or the carpetbagger who promotes false health alternatives.

Old 11-10-2022, 01:17 PM

226 posts, read 130,456 times
Voter fraud is a perennial problem. Because of New York's lax laws, I myself voted early and often for Hochul. About tree hunnid and fiddy times in total. They just kept asking me if that was me, and I just kept saying yes.

For good measure, I voted for Zeldin twice to even things out.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:31 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,782,679 times
As the only Blue guy around town (literally) I think 1/6 and the end of Roe helped us out here in NY. I have actually met a d shook hands with Zeldin. Seems like a stand up guy. Would have crossed party lines and voted for him. I can't support anyone who stands with Trump after 1/6. Watching cops being beaten and the capitol being ransacked and guys in antisemitic shirts and Dixie flags fight to install their leader trump was a wake up call. And Zeldin supported it. Shameful. Whoever advised him to stand with Trump on that issue should be fired from his team. Glad it was a red dribble rather than a wave. Lol.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:22 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,263,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
As the only Blue guy around town (literally) I think 1/6 and the end of Roe helped us out here in NY. I have actually met a d shook hands with Zeldin. Seems like a stand up guy. Would have crossed party lines and voted for him. I can't support anyone who stands with Trump after 1/6. Watching cops being beaten and the capitol being ransacked and guys in antisemitic shirts and Dixie flags fight to install their leader trump was a wake up call. And Zeldin supported it. Shameful. Whoever advised him to stand with Trump on that issue should be fired from his team. Glad it was a red dribble rather than a wave. Lol.
I had this exact convo with a friend who also did not vote for Zeldin because of what you said and my reply to him was : so you are ok electing a governor who made a comment to Zeldin, “ I don’t know why that is so important to you”. When he offered that crime and cashless bail were problematic. Really??? She was so bad that a MSNBC host took her to task.
Obviously, the both of you were part of a majority, and while I never will say that I hate NY, I will say that better you than me living with her as governor..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island