Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 02:46 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times

Advertisements

So many of the violent thieves “mask up for Covid” (see the pics in the thread and the thugs in the subway) it’s almost as if they are deliberately hiding their faces.

Any chance we can ban the masks in the interest of public safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 03:02 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
you need a guard dog and a house alarm and a shot gun.

Old 12-12-2022, 03:06 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
and commas.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:26 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Did you get an alert on your phone that someone rang your doorbell?
I sent your pics to friends to warn them and they knew about this type of burglary. They are an organized gang doing this from Bayside to Stonybrook. They pretend to be a delivery guy and if no one answers the door, they break in from the backyard.
THis is why you should always let it be known that you're home, even if solicitors bother you. I work upstairs and I go to an upstairs window and talk to people.

We had a spate of break ins here about 8-9 years ago, and this is what the police recommended.

I have a dog too, and his barking has sent a few people packing before they even get to the door.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
So many of the violent thieves “mask up for Covid” (see the pics in the thread and the thugs in the subway) it’s almost as if they are deliberately hiding their faces.

Any chance we can ban the masks in the interest of public safety?
Yes I’ve noticed that too! I’m all for banning masks for public safety!

Old 12-12-2022, 08:42 PM

708 posts, read 577,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
and commas.
I didn't think you needed commas if 'and' was between each noun. So, you'd need commas if he said..
You need a guard dog a house alarm and a shot gun.

Correct: You need a guard dog, a house alarm, and a shot gun.
Today 05:46 PM

Old 12-13-2022, 10:36 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
I didn't think you needed commas if 'and' was between each noun. So, you'd need commas if he said..
You need a guard dog a house alarm and a shot gun.

Correct: You need a guard dog, a house alarm, and a shot gun.
Today 05:46 PM
You don't but this poster lives in his mom's basement and never posts anything of any use, just insults and juvenile comebacks.

Wait for it.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:18 PM

450 posts, read 385,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
How about harsher punishments?
Regarding shotguns, I thought they banned those. I used to go to Suffolk and Upstate from city 15-20 years ago and every store had good amount of hunting equipment including shot guns. I have not been seeing those anymore. Sports Authority, Dicks, etc were well stocked.

Guard dog is not really a thing either, you can just get A dog, and hope he/she barks and not too friendly. People thinking, they will get a dog and that dog will protect them is a fantasy world, unless you get an aggressive dog that barks and lunges at anyone, and that's a nuisance. Our neighbor had one of those, the dog drained the life out of them.

House alarm is probably best bet, but it needs to monitored professionally. People toss a $200 system and assume it's good enough... and later like takotan, if you don't have good reception, or bad internet connection anywhere, you will miss the alerts. Has anyone gotten a quote recently? The prices are higher than before, I remember getting professional monitoring for $1/day (not with free equipment) and I did get advertisement for it, ADT hung up on me when I brought it up to the sales guy who called me (he wasn't even from ADT, some random 3rd party company)

Old 12-13-2022, 02:40 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
How about harsher punishments?
Regarding shotguns, I thought they banned those. I used to go to Suffolk and Upstate from city 15-20 years ago and every store had good amount of hunting equipment including shot guns. I have not been seeing those anymore. Sports Authority, Dicks, etc were well stocked.

Guard dog is not really a thing either, you can just get A dog, and hope he/she barks and not too friendly. People thinking, they will get a dog and that dog will protect them is a fantasy world, unless you get an aggressive dog that barks and lunges at anyone, and that's a nuisance. Our neighbor had one of those, the dog drained the life out of them.

House alarm is probably best bet, but it needs to monitored professionally. People toss a $200 system and assume it's good enough... and later like takotan, if you don't have good reception, or bad internet connection anywhere, you will miss the alerts. Has anyone gotten a quote recently? The prices are higher than before, I remember getting professional monitoring for $1/day (not with free equipment) and I did get advertisement for it, ADT hung up on me when I brought it up to the sales guy who called me (he wasn't even from ADT, some random 3rd party company)
Lol they have not been banned. Outside of the city you don’t even need a permit for a shotgun. Sports authority has been out of business for years and years and Dicks still supposedly sells them. Regardless in NYS you can go to any gun dealer buy a shotgun and walk out with it the same day.

Old 12-13-2022, 02:42 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Forget whatever you knew or thought about safety on Long Island. It's over. Young men, mostly black and hispanic, no longer fear driving into an upper class white/asian/jewish neighborhood, scouting out homes and then robbing them (or you or your car). The police can not profile them. It's happening to every middle/upper class area of NY, including the nicer areas of Queens.

Just 2 weeks ago there was a person followed from Great Neck all the way up to Kings Point where they were car jacked at a stop sign.
Plenty of white opioid addicts commit break ins too. Very common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island