Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 05:26 AM

11 posts, read 5,320 times

Advertisements

I am in Nassau county and a tree in front of my house ruined sidewalk and curb/Apron.

Town came out and removed the tree and now they sent me permit application with a letter, but I am a bit confused. Please take a look at screenshots I attached here and advise me if there is anyone who has done this before. I really appreciate it. My native language is not English, so I feel more comfortable in writing here instead of calling the town directly because I'd like to have some idea first before discussing this with town.

Thanks in advance anyone who will help me! - And please bear with me for these dumb questions

Letter:

Permit Application:

1. Do I need to get a contractor first? (since the application (2) asks me to enter contractor info)
- 1A: The letter specifies requirements of a contractor. (see highlighted section in the letter) Do I just ask a contractor when hiring?

2. Am I supposed to fill out the permit application or a contractor?
- 2A: I do not have home insurance. Can I leave 3) in the application blank?

3. The letter shows the documents that are needed for curb/apron/sidewalk permit. Should I prepare them or contractor?
- 3A: I guess only documents a), b) and c) are needed. Correct me if I am wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Advise a dummy(myself) for sidewalk/curb repair in Nassau.-2023-03-28_070043.jpg   Advise a dummy(myself) for sidewalk/curb repair in Nassau.-2023-03-28_070143.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 06:42 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
You need homeowners insurance. NOW.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:11 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,041 times
If you have no mortgage on your house can the town force you to have homeowners insurance? Asking out of curiosity.

@Krutakee, you need to find the contractor first and then fill out the application. The town just wants it's $100 fee.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:21 AM

Thanks for reply @TMing. The house is paid off.

I'd like to get home insurance but usually they want to fix sidewalk first to get it covered.. right? Or will they allow me without fixing it first?

I am still curious if I need home insurance for the permit application.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:13 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
You are out of your mind if you don't have insurance. Go to a national carrier like Geico do it online and get coverage asap. The blood sucking leaches in Oysterbay just want $$, you have to pay to the fix the sidewalk also! They threatened me in 2016, I took a sledge hammer broke up the 1 raised square of sidewalk, got bags of concrete at home depot and repaired it myself! They where going after me for no permit but I ended up selling the house before they ever did anything, OB gov is scum of the earth.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:19 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You are out of your mind if you don't have insurance. Go to a national carrier like Geico do it online and get coverage asap. The blood sucking leaches in Oysterbay just want $$, you have to pay to the fix the sidewalk also! They threatened me in 2016, I took a sledge hammer broke up the 1 raised square of sidewalk, got bags of concrete at home depot and repaired it myself! They where going after me for no permit but I ended up selling the house before they ever did anything, OB gov is scum of the earth.
When I lived there as a kid, it was known as "the Oyster Bay Way". They were always happy to supply a list of "preferred contractors" (who of course were friends of the town) in situations like this.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:37 AM

Can you guys recommend any good contractors?

And can anyone tell if town would issue permit without home insurance? (I am getting one, but just curious)

Old 03-28-2023, 09:39 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
Why on earth would anyone not have homeowners insurance? That is crazy. One spark and you will lose it all. When I bought my house in Farmingdale (TOB), my HO insurance said they would not cover the house unless the sidewalks were free of any lifted squares. There was one. I called around to get it replaced but concrete guys never got back to me. I heard the TOB does them for $100 each. SO, I called. They came by and left a note on the door that said that since I called them, they were obligated to do a property to property inspection inspection. They said I needed to replace 13 squares, even though the ins co only cared about one. They sent their guys and billed me $1300. I didn't need to fill anything out. I guess because it was their own guys. If you only need one or two squares done, call them but make sure the rest of your sidewalk is in good shape.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:47 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
I doubt you need homeowner's insurance to get the permit, but who knows. If someone trips and falls, the town will want to bring you into it, which is a lot easier if you're insured.

I never understand people who say "I own the house so I don't have to have it". You pay $50K down on a house and you have insurance you own the whole $500K worth and you don't. Stupid.

Old 03-28-2023, 10:36 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Why on earth would anyone not have homeowners insurance? That is crazy. One spark and you will lose it all. When I bought my house in Farmingdale (TOB), my HO insurance said they would not cover the house unless the sidewalks were free of any lifted squares. There was one. I called around to get it replaced but concrete guys never got back to me. I heard the TOB does them for $100 each. SO, I called. They came by and left a note on the door that said that since I called them, they were obligated to do a property to property inspection inspection. They said I needed to replace 13 squares, even though the ins co only cared about one. They sent their guys and billed me $1300. I didn't need to fill anything out. I guess because it was their own guys. If you only need one or two squares done, call them but make sure the rest of your sidewalk is in good shape.
TOB no longer repairs the sidewalk for a fee. And that $100 price per square is 2015 pricing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: