Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 05:38 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I don’t know. I tell my kids if they don’t do school work and read they will end up working in MCDonalds and be homeless all their life. They get the point even thought they never been to McDonalds.
Your kids are not special little snowflakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 05:54 AM

5,806 posts, read 2,934,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Your kids are not special little snowflakes?
Nah. We like to ski on snow flakes. Vermont specifically.

Old 04-03-2023, 06:36 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Nah. We like to ski on snow flakes. Vermont specifically.
That’s racist against NY snowflakes.
Or even New Hampshire snowflakes.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 1,074 times
I grew up in Roslyn Heights and went to the Roslyn school district. Graduated in 96. Brutally honest here… it was terrible. I was bullied for being poor (middle class was considered poor in Roslyn). The kids and parents were extremely materialistic. I was also a minority (not Jewish) and was bullied for that as well. Some of the teachers were great and there was pretty much little to no crime. Feel free to private message me if you have questions.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:05 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursamajr View Post
I grew up in Roslyn Heights and went to the Roslyn school district. Graduated in 96. Brutally honest here… it was terrible. I was bullied for being poor (middle class was considered poor in Roslyn). The kids and parents were extremely materialistic. I was also a minority (not Jewish) and was bullied for that as well. Some of the teachers were great and there was pretty much little to no crime. Feel free to private message me if you have questions.
If I recall, and I could be wrong by a few blocks, the divider for Mineola & Herricks vs Roslyn SD's is the expressway.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:03 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,526 times
I have a friend who lives in East Williston. She told me how the mommies compete in buying the best\expensive gifts for the teachers. I can only imagine how bad Roslyn Heights would be.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If I recall, and I could be wrong by a few blocks, the divider for Mineola & Herricks vs Roslyn SD's is the expressway.
I’m not sure how it is now but in the 80s I had a friend that lived on Peachtree Lane off of Mineola Ave. just south of the Northern State. The cut off was the end of his block.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
I have a friend who lives in East Williston. She told me how the mommies compete in buying the best\expensive gifts for the teachers. I can only imagine how bad Roslyn Heights would be.
In Roslyn it was the cars. Who got a BMW or Mercedes for their 16th. Hummers were popular too. I remember being asked if I was getting a nose job for mine since those were fairly common as well.

My mom picked me up from a play date once and the parents thought my mom was the maid.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:59 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursamajr View Post
I’m not sure how it is now but in the 80s I had a friend that lived on Peachtree Lane off of Mineola Ave. just south of the Northern State. The cut off was the end of his block.
Yep, I stand corrected it is Northern not the expressway. Thank you. The old memory is not what it used to be. In fact we had friends who lived on the Mineola side of Oxford and down the block was the Roslyn district. Same street just further East is Mineola and West was Roslyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island