Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 11:11 AM

10 posts, read 7,102 times

Advertisements

Hi! Would anyone that has elementary school kids that moved from NYC public schools to Roslyn Heights can share their experience? We are a middle class family and where my kid currently goes to school in NYC, 90% of the students eat school lunches and are low income. Can you pls share experiences on whether a middle class family (especially the kids) will feel inferior to their friends? We are excited to be moving to LI but extremely worried that my highly sensitive child will have a difficult time fitting in. I understand it also has to do with how we teach our kids but I just couldn't help with being nervous. Thanks for your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 06:55 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Doesnt Roslyn Heights go to Mineola schools? Plenty of working class Hispanics and other middle class in Mineola to keep things real.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:05 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypmanman View Post
Hi! Would anyone that has elementary school kids that moved from NYC public schools to Roslyn Heights can share their experience? We are a middle class family and where my kid currently goes to school in NYC, 90% of the students eat school lunches and are low income. Can you pls share experiences on whether a middle class family (especially the kids) will feel inferior to their friends? We are excited to be moving to LI but extremely worried that my highly sensitive child will have a difficult time fitting in. I understand it also has to do with how we teach our kids but I just couldn't help with being nervous. Thanks for your insights.
Wow. Rich people problems. Not bad.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:38 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Move to a more suitable neighborhood then.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:38 AM

297 posts, read 132,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Doesnt Roslyn Heights go to Mineola schools? Plenty of working class Hispanics and other middle class in Mineola to keep things real.
Depends on which part of Roslyn Heights. The SW portion is zoned for Mineola, but you can also be zoned for Roslyn or East Williston as well.

Considering children in elementary school don't really think in terms of wealth or money, your kids will be fine. Consciousness on material things aren't a factor until later on.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Considering children in elementary school don't really think in terms of wealth or money, your kids will be fine. Consciousness on material things aren't a factor until later on.
For real? Kids are some of the most judgmental one-uppers on the planet.
They’re just miniature versions of their crappy parents.
They’re actually worse because they have no filter. Kids are evil.
At least some adults have perfected the art of being phony.

Old 03-31-2023, 09:46 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggggs View Post
Depends on which part of Roslyn Heights. The SW portion is zoned for Mineola, but you can also be zoned for Roslyn or East Williston as well.

Starts as early as middle school which was the 5th grade for my kids. i tried to be one of those parents to not keep up with the Joneses. That lasted 1 month. Every single kid had an iPhone on her bus. I was proud to give her a dumb phone to start middle school but, you know the rest.

Old 04-02-2023, 04:36 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Whats a highly sensitive kid?

Old 04-02-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Whats a highly sensitive kid?
Isn’t that like every kid these days?

Old 04-03-2023, 03:46 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Isn’t that like every kid these days?
I don’t know. I tell my kids if they don’t do school work and read they will end up working in MCDonalds and be homeless all their life. They get the point even thought they never been to McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island