Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2023, 03:31 AM

11 posts, read 5,315 times

Advertisements

Town removed a tree on my sidewalk and requires me to repair sidewalk

d) in the letter says I can attach my homeowners insurance if no contractor is used. Can I hire someone who does not have insurance coverage and use this option?

b) sketch or survey? I guess I don't need this for sidewalk repair? If I must, how do I do that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2023, 07:26 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,998 times
Hahah good luck those criminal scum bags required a permit from me on 2015 or 16. I did it on my own.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:15 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutakee View Post
Town removed a tree on my sidewalk and requires me to repair sidewalk

d) in the letter says I can attach my homeowners insurance if no contractor is used. Can I hire someone who does not have insurance coverage and use this option?

b) sketch or survey? I guess I don't need this for sidewalk repair? If I must, how do I do that?

You want to hire a contractor that does not carry Liability Insurance? Are you crazy!!! As someone who works in the insurance business I cannot believe I am hearing this. Also in another post you mentioned you do not have insurance on your home because it's paid off? If someone trips and falls on your property you are screwed if you get sued.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:21 PM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
You want to hire a contractor that does not carry Liability Insurance? Are you crazy!!! As someone who works in the insurance business I cannot believe I am hearing this. Also in another post you mentioned you do not have insurance on your home because it's paid off? If someone trips and falls on your property you are screwed if you get sued.
This is the guy who doesn't have homeowners insurance either, remember???

OP, go ahead and hire someone with no insurance - when they get hurt you become their employer, responsible for all their bills.

When they damage something, YOU become your their insurer, liable for all the damages the cause.

OK, sarcasm over. No, what the letter means is if you do the work yourself you must provide proof of homeowners insurance, which I don't recommend doing because your homeowners insurance that you don't have anyway won't cover you for that.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:58 PM

20,028 posts, read 20,835,571 times
They wreck the sidewalk and you are now not only responsible, but you need to jump through all the hoops and crap to repair something that was no fault of your own?
What a joke. Fill it with gravel. Or dirt and grass. Eff them.

Old 04-08-2023, 05:42 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
They want you to fix what they damaged do this, go to Home Depot buy 2 or 3 bags of concrete based on the repair size. GO to Harbor Freight and buy a trowel for a few bucks if you don't have one. Mix, dump and smooth watch a YouTube video first if your really concerned.

They don't like it they can come out and repair the sidewalk to the standards they wish to maintain. What a crock when the county installed a french drain on my property and my neighbors behind the curb they repaved my driveway and replaced the section of walkway that were dug up by the project.

Old 04-13-2023, 11:44 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
I have to fix a section of sidewalk in front of my home too, thanks to having a tree planted by the town die and eventually removed by the town. I am in the process of getting estimates.

Old 04-14-2023, 06:06 AM

3,516 posts, read 5,698,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I have to fix a section of sidewalk in front of my home too, thanks to having a tree planted by the town die and eventually removed by the town. I am in the process of getting estimates.
Town damage should be repaired at town cost

Old 04-14-2023, 10:04 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Ironic how the OP has not responded guess he's busy trying to get homeowner's insurance LOL

Old 04-14-2023, 11:00 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Town damage should be repaired at town cost
The town owns the tree and is responsible. They can replant another tree in the fall. The homeowner is responsible for the sidewalk. At least that is how it works in my location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: