Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 08:49 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times

Advertisements

We had a friend for a while in Bay Terrace. I visited her several times a year. I liked the area a lot, as well as her building. She got married and moved to Franklin Square on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 07:59 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Hi Amy. Life long Queens native in this area. I'm also about your age. Both are great neighborhoods. And, as you said, both are clost to the LIRR and a short ride into Manhattan.

However I'd personally prefer Bay Terrace area. You have access to the wonderful walking path by Ft. Totten and the Throgs Neck bridge. Also, while GN does have many restaurants, they really have nothing going on after 9pm. That place is like a ghost town. Very, very weird. Bayside has plenty of bars/lounges for drinks, if you're into that. Between Bay Terrace shopping area as well as Bell blvd, tons of places to shop/eat/drink.

I would also finish by saying GN has a very strange cultural vibe. People are very introverted, from what I have seen. There's a heavy conservative Jewish pop and they tend to stick to themsevles. Bayside is a bit more diverse (even though I hate that word).
GN is more diverse than that - there is big presence of Asians, and many more liberal Jewish families as well. You’re thinking of kings point? I love both areas, lived in both bayside and GN. Some people forget that GN is in Long Island proper so it’s going to be family oriented by design. Being in GN also gives you access to a lot of places by virtue of living in Nassau county - such as a pass to various sport facilities, like Olympic size swimming pool and all local events. There’s always events in the neighborhood, and the Stepping Stone Park is a gem - here's a link to concerts but I believe you need to have a residency for the most part https://www.gnparks.org/421/Summer-Concert-Series

Bay Terrace is cool and in Queens; more diverse, it’s not walking distance to LIRR though, you'll need to take a bus or drive to get to LIRR. Some restaurants in Bayside on Bell Blvd are great, some are ok. I would prefer to live near the LIRR as opposed to Bay Terrace unless I had a house over there east of Bell (there are some private roads over there!), but that's me.

Last edited by speediestevie; 07-19-2023 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-20-2023, 08:44 AM

544 posts, read 939,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylauren View Post
How did he find available rentals in that complex? It is a great location!
He found it online. They are in the process of moving out as I type as they have purchased a home out east. The link below is one of the available units. This is very similar to theirs. Nice building, the tenants I encountered were friendly. My son and his wife liked the on site laundry and that there was a doorman 24/7 who accepted packages.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ny/bayside/...0#lil-mediaTab

Old 07-20-2023, 08:48 AM

544 posts, read 939,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
wd are also a few blocks from the shopping center..

my wife does not drive so before we were married she found surviving very easy in the area .

she even worked preschool at sam fields Y and the pool club in back of the shopping center ..
Totally unrelated, but do you recall a house on the corner of 26th ave & 213th st which used to be decorated for Christmas and other holidays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island