Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2023, 04:17 PM

122 posts, read 235,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Thank you for the clarification, it's a 4 bedroom with family of 3.
We have 2nd septic system for an extension thst was build in 80s that the washing machine drains to, and for guest shower/bathroom.
See how big that septic tank is and that leaching pool.
Typically, you calculate septic tank by bedroom size as per code.
Then you calculate the leaching pool.

Once you got that info, let me know. You might tie it back to that septic tank if it's big enough.

Edit: Just checked and if the septic tank can handle 1000 gallons and leaching pool is at least 8'dia and 8ft deep then you can tie the whole house to it.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2023, 07:51 PM

259 posts, read 174,115 times
Suffolk county really should get its act together and put sewers everywhere possible, instead of relying on septic systems, and outdated cesspools. Easier to treat the waste, prevents nitrogen from leeching in to ground water, and coastal water.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:03 AM

544 posts, read 938,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
It seems like you can get a septic system instead of a cesspool, but doesn't have to be the nitrogen system that is complicated and requires electrical installation as well.

Only new builds require the fancy new one.
Ground water shouldn't be an issue if people don't flush chemicals and use environmentally friendly detergents etc.
Our current client had to put in one of the new systems for an addition they are having built. IMHO the cost is ridiculous. They live across the road from a bay, are very 'green' and work in an environmental type business. The new system is appropriate in their setting.

I'm limping along a brick cesspool with a cast overflow. The pipe from the house to the old cesspool is some sort of clay. It has its issues, causing it to need snaking from time to time.

Old 06-24-2023, 10:56 AM

450 posts, read 385,563 times
I heard about the new system but it costs as much as $30k, but there is $10k incentive from town I believe, still even with that, running power etc seems very complicated. I think it makes sense for areas where sewage might leach to water supply.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I called for 2nd opinion and this guy (another cesspool company but they are not pumping they are the cesspool install guy came with a van) he was able to snake through the place where the 1st cesspool company said he can't clear the obstruction and insisted no need to pay for camera inspection. Thank god for this guy at least now we can use the bathrooms. He said if it gets stuck again call him and he'll come back for free one more time. We were able to see the water come through the cesspool inlet where it was trickling before.

However, he also recommend we change the system soon since it's old, he said we can change the pipes for few thousands (plus the hedges that might be damaged) and see if it helps but eventually we have to change the cesspool. 2 rings in the backyard.
He also somehow said we can do it under the driveway, they are very strong etc but I am not so sure.

About pipes being clay, he used the term paper-like actually, so they degrade a lot, might be a little cave down there that's still keeping the water flowing but pipes he said might have been damaged due to time.

Old 06-24-2023, 05:58 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
This is why I would never consider living in Suffolk County. Why and How in 2023 are people still living on top of their own waste? This is one step away of using outhouses. Just get sewers. I have been to tiny towns in Delaware and other states and all had sewers that nicely transport your disgusting human waste away to a waste site. Suffolk is still living in the early 1900s. Why dont residents demand sewers already they can’t all be thrilled with having their yard or basements fill up with feces and have to have them emptied. Please enlighten me.

Old 06-24-2023, 07:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
This is why I would never consider living in Suffolk County. Why and How in 2023 are people still living on top of their own waste? This is one step away of using outhouses. Just get sewers. I have been to tiny towns in Delaware and other states and all had sewers that nicely transport your disgusting human waste away to a waste site. Suffolk is still living in the early 1900s. Why dont residents demand sewers already they can’t all be thrilled with having their yard or basements fill up with feces and have to have them emptied. Please enlighten me.
You could put a sewer on my street next Tuesday i wouldn’t connect. My septic is 3.5 yrs old. I’ll have to pump it maybe once every 10-15 years. It’s not like people with septic or cesspool even think about it. Sewer taxes would be 1k a year maybe more if they installed them.

Old 06-24-2023, 09:32 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
It's not for want of trying, but things in Suffolk are what the eff they are. Not everyone is onboard with any efforts to do anything regarding wastewater for a host of reasons.

https://riverheadlocal.com/2023/06/2...y-legislature/

https://www.wshu.org/long-island-new...-to-pay-for-it

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...sewer-ysbjxg2o

Old 06-24-2023, 09:40 PM

122 posts, read 235,232 times
You never do drywells, septic tanks, leaching pools under driveways.
The reason is soil settlement. If you must do any of those because there is absolutely no option whatsoever, then the ring must be 2ft under grade instead of the typical 1ft.
Also, the base needs to be a little different. All of those will add to the price(soil removal + new soil infill).
Then, you'll need to know that because it is under a driveway, it won't last you as long and you will encounter problems sooner rather than later.

Typically, septic tanks are calculated based on number of bedroom in a dwelling, not per person living in the dwelling.
To save you a bit of a headache so you will have knowledge for the future of this upcoming installation or any new future home that may need a septic tank, calculations based on the information you've given me are as follows:

Septic tank size = 1,250 gallons.
You've already told me you have an existing septic tank. Therefore, you will only need a 1,000 gallon ST. HOWEVER, for a 1 bedroom addition, prior codes allowed to install a 250gal ST. In case you have anything more than a 250gallon ST, you will only need 1000 gallon ST. Find out what your current home has.
In case there is no septic tank and a drywell was installed instead(which would make more sense for the 1br addition), then you need to have it marked up on the survey.
Leaching Pool size = 8ft diameter by 10ft effective depth for a 1,250 gallon ST.
If what you said is indeed accurate and you do have a small septic tank, then 8ft diameter by 8ft ED is good.

Now, we need to go for a cesspool abandonment. You do NOT want a cesspool removal as it will add a lot of extra cost UNLESS you need space to put the new septic tank in.
There are rules for minimum distances between existing septic tanks to drywells to leaching pools.
Rules are as follow:
- Septic Tank to Leaching Pool = 5ft minimum distance.
- Septic tank to Drywell = 20 ft minimum distance.
- Leaching Pool to drywell = 20 ft minimum.
- Septic Tank to House or ANY structure with a foundation(think of a pool) = 10 ft minimum.
- Septic tank/leaching pool to Property Line = 10ft minimum.

Now, after all of that is drawn on a piece of paper and you submit the calculations to the town, you might get away to get it done under a contractor instead of an engineer or architect. Delineate everything on a survey and make an appointment with the building department. They will tell you if what you did should be fine. An additional item that the building department might ask is for a percolation test to see water absorption. Boring test might not be needed but have a budget for both, just in case. Typically, it should cost you $800-$1000.

Lastly, once you've placed the new system with the minimum setbacks(distances) I've listed above, the town will give you a permit to do the work with the approval of the town's engineer.

This may seem like a lot of work but it's not. It just takes time to learn. Homeowners need to learn a bit to know what they're getting into and to know what to do in case x, y or z happens. And the more information you gather and know, the less likely someone will scam you for extra work that is not needed.

Old 06-25-2023, 09:19 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You could put a sewer on my street next Tuesday i wouldn’t connect. My septic is 3.5 yrs old. I’ll have to pump it maybe once every 10-15 years. It’s not like people with septic or cesspool even think about it. Sewer taxes would be 1k a year maybe more if they installed them.
$1000 /yr is a small price to pay not have to deal with backed up human excrement again. We had a cesspool in our house in the mid 60s in Nassau and I will never get that disgusting smell of sh$t out of my head from when my father had to snake the front of the house every once in a while. My mother in law just had her cesspool back up a few months ago and it was all in her basement. Totally disgusting and downright dangerous.

I lived in an apartment in Commack and the first thing the landlord told me was to make sure that women don’t flush their tampons down the toilet because it will clog their cesspool. Jeez. I work in Suffolk and always hear my coworkers complaining about having to get their cesspool emptied or they smell crap. People are crying over a measly $1000/yr ($120/mo) for such a huge convenience? Yet they have no problem paying $200 for their cell phone bill or drink Starbucks every day. Then I guess they shouldn’t complain.

My understanding is that sewers are not even available if you wanted them. I lived in Holtsville and I could not have one. Moved straight back to Nassau and never have to worry about it again.

Old 06-25-2023, 10:41 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
Quote:
$1000 /yr is a small price to pay not have to deal with backed up human excrement again. We had a cesspool in our house in the mid 60s in Nassau and I will never get that disgusting smell of sh$t out of my head from when my father had to snake the front of the house every once in a while. My mother in law just had her cesspool back up a few months ago and it was all in her basement. Totally disgusting and downright dangerous.

I lived in an apartment in Commack and the first thing the landlord told me was to make sure that women don’t flush their tampons down the toilet because it will clog their cesspool. Jeez. I work in Suffolk and always hear my coworkers complaining about having to get their cesspool emptied or they smell crap. People are crying over a measly $1000/yr ($120/mo) for such a huge convenience? Yet they have no problem paying $200 for their cell phone bill or drink Starbucks every day. Then I guess they shouldn’t complain.

My understanding is that sewers are not even available if you wanted them. I lived in Holtsville and I could not have one. Moved straight back to Nassau and never have to worry about it again.
I’m on septic not cesspool, there is a big difference. Especially with newer systems that are built way bigger than really needed and of course have a leeching field. I had sewers in Nassau me and my neighbors all had poop water backup at times due to roots in the lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island