Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2023, 04:59 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,161,873 times

Advertisements

So we had company a week or so ago and the subject of how many things have changed that we simply accept as par for the course.

When we were kids (50's & 60's), if mom wanted to change the color of her telephone she simply called NY Telephone up and they came and changed the phone free of charge. You used to buy a 1/2 gallon of ice cream and a pound of coffee.

The subject of Christmas shopping and gift boxes came up because DH worked in A & S and he said that what ever you bought you went to the accommodations desk and they would cut the tag off and put tissue in the box for you and then put the item in the box, cover the hard sided box and put a stretchy gold tie on it.
I recall Bloomingdales also had bright yellow and orange and red boxes and they did the same. Ten years ago when we left LI, the stores often times had no boxes or tissue at all. The ones they had were all folded two piece soft boxes and it was rare that you got any tissue paper at all and if you did it was maybe two sheets. Then Lord and Taylor still provided boxes and tissue but not like in the old days. I always hit L & T the day after Christmas and would buy ornaments and then get a box.

To this day I still have a few of the old A & S star boxes and a bright yellow Bloomies and L & T all hard sides boxes. They hold some of the special Christmas ornaments from back in the day.

So, I am guessing that stores don't give out boxes like they used to but maybe I am wrong. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 05:10 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,733,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
So we had company a week or so ago and the subject of how many things have changed that we simply accept as par for the course.

When we were kids (50's & 60's), if mom wanted to change the color of her telephone she simply called NY Telephone up and they came and changed the phone free of charge. You used to buy a 1/2 gallon of ice cream and a pound of coffee.

The subject of Christmas shopping and gift boxes came up because DH worked in A & S and he said that what ever you bought you went to the accommodations desk and they would cut the tag off and put tissue in the box for you and then put the item in the box, cover the hard sided box and put a stretchy gold tie on it.
I recall Bloomingdales also had bright yellow and orange and red boxes and they did the same. Ten years ago when we left LI, the stores often times had no boxes or tissue at all. The ones they had were all folded two piece soft boxes and it was rare that you got any tissue paper at all and if you did it was maybe two sheets. Then Lord and Taylor still provided boxes and tissue but not like in the old days. I always hit L & T the day after Christmas and would buy ornaments and then get a box.

To this day I still have a few of the old A & S star boxes and a bright yellow Bloomies and L & T all hard sides boxes. They hold some of the special Christmas ornaments from back in the day.

So, I am guessing that stores don't give out boxes like they used to but maybe I am wrong. Anyone?
Fortunoff's was one of the last stores that offered free gift wrapping for purchased items.

Old 11-08-2023, 05:34 PM

13,062 posts, read 18,161,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Fortunoff's was one of the last stores that offered free gift wrapping for purchased items.
Yep. I was still there then. Gold and silver for wedding or shower. Hubby said A & S would charge for wrapping by the size of the box. But it was cheap for wrap a ribbon and a shopping bag.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:56 AM

3,532 posts, read 5,720,327 times
macys still has boxes if you ask nice

Old 11-09-2023, 08:06 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,772,269 times
Some stores have stepped up their game a bit in recent years in order to give you a reason to come to the store as opposed to online shopping.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:09 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,856,332 times
I remember when you didn't even have to go to accommodations - you'd check out and they'd just have the boxes at the register. And shopping bags.

Old 11-09-2023, 10:40 AM

3,532 posts, read 5,720,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I remember when you didn't even have to go to accommodations - you'd check out and they'd just have the boxes at the register. And shopping bags.
Shopping bags... blame NYS and the idiotic bag laws for that

Old 11-13-2023, 07:48 AM

5,534 posts, read 7,128,574 times
Remember the shoe salesman who would measure your smelly feet on that metal thing, and then go in the stock room and pull out a few pairs that he think you may like, and then put them on you?

I miss Thom Mc'An

Old 11-13-2023, 11:00 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,241,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Remember the shoe salesman who would measure your smelly feet on that metal thing, and then go in the stock room and pull out a few pairs that he think you may like, and then put them on you?

I miss Thom Mc'An
Ha . I visited a well known retailer (based in Wisconsin) looking for a decent pair of sneakers. Nobody working in the shoe department. The shoe displays on top of the shelves had no number to cross reference the boxes below, therefore making it necessary to open every box that fit my size. Many of the boxes had mismatched sizes in them, or only one sneaker.
Gave up after half an hour of searching.

Old 11-15-2023, 05:13 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,207,927 times
Lord and taylor definitely made you feel special and it was worth knowingly paying alittle higher price when the saleswomen lovingly and carefully folded your items with a bit of tissue inside so it would keep its shape and then wrapped in tissue with a sticker it keep it closed and this was whether or not you wanted s bag or a box. Either way you always got a shopping beg and you'd swing it proudly feeling like you had a million dollars in there. Also the sales people dresses so nice it made you want to elevate your own style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island