Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,254,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Ok, I'll give you that such places may exist on Long Island, particularly out east. However that is definitely not the dominant way of life here. If someone can find an island of sanity on Long Island, more power to them!

I'm a middle class person with a middle class profession and salary. The overpriced, rate race culture of northern Nassau County was not for me. I'm like a fish out of water; I suppose it can be good if you are very wealthy and can buy your way out of the negative issues here, but for everyone else up to the upper middle class, its a struggle and frankly just not worth it.

Having a better quality of life for a lower price was a no brainer for me. Family connections there make it even more of a rational decision.

Are there snotty people up there? Sure, Orchard Park and East Amherst certainly have that reputation. But they aren't as dominiant in the overall culture up there. Middle class people rule up there and there is more of a sense of community and trust. It's not a paradise by any means. The weather in winter can be a challange and the East side of Buffalo has some very serious poverty and crime. However the better city neighborhoods and the suburbs still have that old school neighborhood feeling. Very unlike either the overgentrification of places like the North Shore of Long Island or the endless sprawl of southern metro areas. It's very Midwestern feeling with a touch of the Northeast, which is a good thing if you are an average person wanting a good quality of life for your family.
There are 3M people on LI and you seem to be basing your generalization of the entire Island (except a few places out East) on your interaction with a few hundred. Makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 03:19 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,283,799 times
Quote:
YES, DESTROYING YOUR CHILD!!

My child was stuck in a 12:1 class on Long Island based solely on his development 4-5 years before (despite his ABOVE AVERAGE academic achievement). Now he is in a regular class in his new school Upstate and is thriving all because he was looked at with a fresh eye AND because they fully embrace inclusion.

So yes, my anger is MORE than justified!!!
If you're even to be believed - a risky venture, given the overall feel of your posts - that's not Long Island "destroying" your child. That's a school. My original point stands - you need to ****can the hyperbole, boy.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:34 PM

852 posts, read 972,235 times
Quote:
Obviously you totally get what I'm talking about!

It was so nice not to be treated like a criminal when entering my son's school Upstate when I came up a few weeks ago to meet their teachers. At their old school on Long Island you had to submit your drivers license where they would do an instant background check on you just to freakin talk with your kid's teacher! Talk about overkill, talk about paranoia!

All the security theater and B.S. of living on Long Island does a lot to kid's heads. I don't want them living like it's freakin Israel! So glad for them to be out of LI.

Those of you who have never lived anywhere but LI have no idea how good life can really be.
WoW! WOW!! WOW!!!

It's sad; scary; and disgusting what people in the NY metro area will tolerate!!

They let their kids grow-up in a prison culture, and then wonder why they either become devious criminals, or compliant mice. The only good thing about that "security", is that maybe it helps to keep the little miscreants from escaping and doing harm to the people in the neighborhood!

It's unfathomable that people are not only willing to live like that- but that they pay top dollar to do so.

Look at that- you don't have that BS upstate...and yet the children there continue to live!

Just more proof that LI has become a HORRIBLE environment. I'll bet Soviet Russia never had such "security".

I hope you can sell your house soon (before the prices drop again) and wave goodbye to that cesspool. I left 13 years ago, and have never set foot in NYS again...and have no desire to, ever again. (Just about all friends and relatives have left by now, anyway.)

Old 10-11-2014, 12:17 AM
s13

ITT I learned that Port North created a "Mumbly Joe" troll account to agree with himself.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:48 AM

622 posts, read 856,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
WoW! WOW!! WOW!!!

It's sad; scary; and disgusting what people in the NY metro area will tolerate!!

They let their kids grow-up in a prison culture, and then wonder why they either become devious criminals, or compliant mice. The only good thing about that "security", is that maybe it helps to keep the little miscreants from escaping and doing harm to the people in the neighborhood!

It's unfathomable that people are not only willing to live like that- but that they pay top dollar to do so.

Look at that- you don't have that BS upstate...and yet the children there continue to live!

Just more proof that LI has become a HORRIBLE environment. I'll bet Soviet Russia never had such "security".

I hope you can sell your house soon (before the prices drop again) and wave goodbye to that cesspool. I left 13 years ago, and have never set foot in NYS again...and have no desire to, ever again. (Just about all friends and relatives have left by now, anyway.)
Look, if you don't like the ad hoc security screenings, just go and get the DOHS chip implanted into your neck. One quick scan and you'll be set at LI schools, airports, jails and precinct houses... etc.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:03 AM

5,303 posts, read 4,803,003 times
Quote:
WoW! WOW!! WOW!!!

Lol!!! Thank you for such an entertaining post! Gave me a great laugh. Have fun over in Mayberry...

Old 10-14-2014, 01:56 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,877,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
ITT I learned that Port North created a "Mumbly Joe" troll account to agree with himself.
That's news to me

By the way I had a great long weekend in Western New York with my wife and kids. Went for a nice drive to the Ellicottville area. The Bills lost, but hey you can't have it all.

No stress, no traffic jams getting back home and I probably spent 1/2 the amount I would doing the same thing out on the east end. The air was crisp and the leaves beautiful.

Hey, keep on believing that Long Island is da bomb. That way places like Western New York won't get crowded and it will maintain its fantastic quality of life forever!

I'm willing to make peace with Long Island. Just one favor, when you make your Nanny-state laws restrict them to NYC and Long Island. We won't care what crazy restrictive law you make, as long as you leave us out of it. Deal?

Old 10-14-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
WoW! WOW!! WOW!!!

No use wasting your breath. Too many people on LI were raised to accept this kind of control over their lives. Those that value things like freedom are jumping ship now very quickly from this overpopulated sandbar.

Yeah, you have no idea how much happier my kids are now. Their school is a real gem. The only security they have is that they buzz you in when you state why you are visiting. That is an appropriate level of security. No need for Gaza Strip style security!! I know Long Island is heavily Jewish, but it isn't actually Israel

Old 10-14-2014, 03:09 PM
s13

Quote:
That's news to me

By the way I had a great long weekend in Western New York with my wife and kids. Went for a nice drive to the Ellicottville area. The Bills lost, but hey you can't have it all.

No stress, no traffic jams getting back home and I probably spent 1/2 the amount I would doing the same thing out on the east end. The air was crisp and the leaves beautiful.

Hey, keep on believing that Long Island is da bomb. That way places like Western New York won't get crowded and it will maintain its fantastic quality of life forever!

I'm willing to make peace with Long Island. Just one favor, when you make your Nanny-state laws restrict them to NYC and Long Island. We won't care what crazy restrictive law you make, as long as you leave us out of it. Deal?
Just curious, did how many times did you get shot as you got closer to Buffalo (NY's answer to Detroit)? I'll understand fully if you're posting from an area hospital.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Just curious, did how many times did you get shot as you got closer to Buffalo (NY's answer to Detroit)? I'll understand fully if you're posting from an area hospital.
The "Detroit" like section of the City of Buffalo is mainly confined to the East Side. I do go there for the Broadway Market during Easter time to celebrate my Polish roots, my mother and Grandmother grew up in that area. I'm not afraid to go there just because black people live there now. I'm not a racist coward like many Long Islanders seem to be on this board.

As long as you stay out of the east side at night, crime is not a major issue. It's like saying that Great Neck or Garden City is full of crime just because its in the same statistical metropolitan area as the South Bronx or East New York. So so ignorant!!!

But to you, it's all Buffalo, all redneck hicks, or is it urban gang-bangers? Seems like you can't decide who or what we are! We're just those people "up there" with nasally accents.

It's pathetic how New Yorkers see the world, everyone and every place is lower than them. That is is why you are hated coast to coast. Show a little humility and that might change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island