Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:10 AM

413 posts, read 600,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Obviously you were one of those snotty little downstaters that went to UB. I had to endure your ilk for 4 years. Always so cliquey and conformist, and always complaining about Buffalo! Locals couldn't stand you people! If you hated it so much you should have transfered your behind to Stony Brook!
Loving them now though aint ya as SUNY B buys up and gentrifies every block they can get and leads Buffalo's "boom." I'm only half facetious. My bro's family moved there from Chicago (career necessity) and for what they get for the dollar and the neighborhood, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I've lived in Maine and LI and visited Buffalo plenty and they're all equally cold in the winter to me. Buffalo has better culture (ethnic food, pro sports, original music, etc) to me than LI by far. If I got offered a job, my wife were on board and my kid could go to City Honors, I'd pack up the jalopy and blow this clam bake in a minute. That's a lot of "if's" though, especially the wife part!

Last edited by marigold69; 10-10-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,802,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Loving them now though aint ya as SUNY B buys up and gentrifies every block they can get and leads Buffalo's "boom." I'm only half facetious. My bro's family moved their from Chicago (career necessity) and for what they get for the dollar and the neighborhood, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I've lived in Maine and LI and visited Buffalo plenty and they're all equally cold in the winter to me. Buffalo has better culture (ethnic food, pro sports, original music, etc) to me than LI by far. If I got offered a job, my wife were on board and my kid could go to City Honors, I'd pack up the jalopy and blow this clam bake in a minute. That's a lot of "if's" though, especially the wife part!
Middle two letters in wife are IF!

Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,877,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Loving them now though aint ya as SUNY B buys up and gentrifies every block they can get and leads Buffalo's "boom." I'm only half facetious. My bro's family moved their from Chicago (career necessity) and for what they get for the dollar and the neighborhood, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I've lived in Maine and LI and visited Buffalo plenty and they're all equally cold in the winter to me. Buffalo has better culture (ethnic food, pro sports, original music, etc) to me than LI by far. If I got offered a job, my wife were on board and my kid could go to City Honors, I'd pack up the jalopy and blow this clam bake in a minute. That's a lot of "if's" though, especially the wife part!
Wifey just got a great job at HSBC's office in Downtown Buffalo, so there are good jobs there, especially if you can pull some strings with some local connections. A friend who I grew up with helped us out with that one.

If you really would like to move there I would say give it a shot. It hit rock bottom in the 1990's and 2000's but is definitely on its way back, more than just because of Cuomo's Buffalo Billon or UB buying up parts of University Heights. Local employers are expanding and many of my friends that I grew up with are moving back after being away for decades. It's not the Rust Belt city of yesteryear.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Isn't a 12:1 for children with academic &/or behavioral issues? A child can be 'above average in academic achievement' yet still have behavioral issues warranting a 12:1. There are many schools on LI which 'fully embrace inclusion' as my district has had them for around 2 decades that I know of. There are students, however, who despite inclusion, still have special programs they are pulled for. An autistic boy in my son's elementary school was one such child.
Anxiety was his major issue and you know what? Now that is being treated like a human being, and having more of a normal childhood, he is thriving and this anxiety issue has gotten much better.

Being in an environment that is not so fear based (like Long Island) has done wonders from him. There are kids in the neighborhood and they ride bikes, play basketball, hockey and interact. Yes, he goes to swimming lessons and basketball practice and after school Spanish classes, but that is balanced with stuff that kids everywhere used to traditionally do on their own. He is 9 years old.

It's a cul-de-sac neighborhood surrounded by woods, no cut through traffic. It's a nice self-contained neighborhood where people actually know and talk with each other. Lots of retired people in the neighborhood and believe me they let you know if your kid is up to no good. He is only allowed to ride his bike on the sidewalk and the neighbors all know this is our rule. It's called COMMUNITY, amazing!

People may think that all of this that I speak is all "nostalgia" or all in the past. But there are places where you can still find this kind of life for your kids.

Sometimes I think Long Islanders need to get out more because just its done one way on Long Island doesn't mean its gospel.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:14 AM

Another thing I might add: The cost of kids activities is amazingly cheap up there. $35 for swimming lessons, $65 for Spanish lessons, $50 for after school basketball, all for the entire school year!. Somehow they manage to afford all these low prices charging only $4500 in property taxes on a 1800 sqaure foot home. Amazing isn't it?

Old 10-10-2014, 09:36 AM

791 posts, read 1,627,652 times
Quote:
Anxiety was his major issue and you know what? Now that is being treated like a human being, and having more of a normal childhood, he is thriving and this anxiety issue has gotten much better.

Being in an environment that is not so fear based (like Long Island) has done wonders from him. There are kids in the neighborhood and they ride bikes, play basketball, hockey and interact. Yes, he goes to swimming lessons and basketball practice and after school Spanish classes, but that is balanced with stuff that kids everywhere used to traditionally do on their own. He is 9 years old.

It's a cul-de-sac neighborhood surrounded by woods, no cut through traffic. It's a nice self-contained neighborhood where people actually know and talk with each other. Lots of retired people in the neighborhood and believe me they let you know if your kid is up to no good. He is only allowed to ride his bike on the sidewalk and the neighbors all know this is our rule. It's called COMMUNITY, amazing!

People may think that all of this that I speak is all "nostalgia" or all in the past. But there are places where you can still find this kind of life for your kids.

Sometimes I think Long Islanders need to get out more because just its done one way on Long Island doesn't mean its gospel.

My friend has this exact set-up. On Long Island. No, seriously. I'm sure you and MumblyJoe are going to chime in now to tell me why I'm wrong - because, you know, I've directly observed my friend's home in a cul-de-sac neighborhood and met her neighbors and seen her kids play outside, so what do I know? - but you're actually describing my friend's exact Long Island experience.

Not every community on Long Island is like the one you lived in, and not everyone has the experience you had. This isn't an issue of "all of Long Island sucks for all families", it's an issue of "the particular neighborhood I lived in sucked for my family" - see the difference? There are family-friendly places on Long Island, just like there are snooty and unfriendly places elsewhere (probably even in the glorious heaven that is Buffalo!). I'm glad you found a place that was a better fit for your family, but the problems you've identified with your life on Long Island (a) aren't at all unique to Long Island; and (b) aren't even remotely representative of "the Long Island experience," since there's really no such thing.

Edited to add: I'll concede that Buffalo has Long Island beat, hands-down, on cost of living. It doesn't affect me personally because I'm lucky to be financially comfortable, but I completely agree that for families living on the financial edge, relocating to stretch your income further makes perfect sense.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,803,003 times
Quote:

What a shock. I have all of this above in my neighborhood on LI (minus the surrounded by woods). Kids are out in the street, riding bikes playing all the time. I know all of my neighbors and we have block parties and socialize. Sorry that wherever you lived on LI didn't work out (either that or you just decided you hated LI and didn't even try).

Glad you are happy where you are at, but not everyone shares your opinion. I personally could never stand living in Buffalo or any place north of Westchester for that matter.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
My friend has this exact set-up. On Long Island. No, seriously. I'm sure you and MumblyJoe are going to chime in now to tell me why I'm wrong - because, you know, I've directly observed my friend's home in a cul-de-sac neighborhood and met her neighbors and seen her kids play outside, so what do I know? - but you're actually describing my friend's exact Long Island experience.

Not every community on Long Island is like the one you lived in, and not everyone has the experience you had. This isn't an issue of "all of Long Island sucks for all families", it's an issue of "the particular neighborhood I lived in sucked for my family" - see the difference? There are family-friendly places on Long Island, just like there are snooty and unfriendly places elsewhere (probably even in the glorious heaven that is Buffalo!). I'm glad you found a place that was a better fit for your family, but the problems you've identified with your life on Long Island (a) aren't at all unique to Long Island; and (b) aren't even remotely representative of "the Long Island experience," since there's really no such thing.

Edited to add: I'll concede that Buffalo has Long Island beat, hands-down, on cost of living. It doesn't affect me personally because I'm lucky to be financially comfortable, but I completely agree that for families living on the financial edge, relocating to stretch your income further makes perfect sense.
Ok, I'll give you that such places may exist on Long Island, particularly out east. However that is definitely not the dominant way of life here. If someone can find an island of sanity on Long Island, more power to them!

I'm a middle class person with a middle class profession and salary. The overpriced, rate race culture of northern Nassau County was not for me. I'm like a fish out of water; I suppose it can be good if you are very wealthy and can buy your way out of the negative issues here, but for everyone else up to the upper middle class, its a struggle and frankly just not worth it.

Having a better quality of life for a lower price was a no brainer for me. Family connections there make it even more of a rational decision.

Are there snotty people up there? Sure, Orchard Park and East Amherst certainly have that reputation. But they aren't as dominiant in the overall culture up there. Middle class people rule up there and there is more of a sense of community and trust. It's not a paradise by any means. The weather in winter can be a challange and the East side of Buffalo has some very serious poverty and crime. However the better city neighborhoods and the suburbs still have that old school neighborhood feeling. Very unlike either the overgentrification of places like the North Shore of Long Island or the endless sprawl of southern metro areas. It's very Midwestern feeling with a touch of the Northeast, which is a good thing if you are an average person wanting a good quality of life for your family.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,802,728 times
Quote:

Your child's progress owes nothing to do with the fact that a child grows and develops, and that some children with the help of medication are able to handle their environment better. (I am not stating your child is medicated.)

Fear-based? The fact that it sounds as though you (can't speak for your SO) wouldn't let your children out to play might have something to do with his/her environment. What happens when you're all reunited and an Amber Alert goes out in the Buffalo suburbs goes out because a child is abducted? It sounds like no matter where you move, you will be a helicopter parent.

Contrary to your views, many children on LI ride bikes, play basketball, hockey, and interact. There's swimming lessons, many sports, more language classes than we can shake a stick at. Amazingly enough, we have cul-de-sacs.

You're frustrated here. We get it. Lashing out at all of LI because your choice of town to reside in wasn't a good fit is immature.

My children have been raised where their father grew up. Is it the same? No. I doubt where you grew up is the same, either. Nostalgia is nostalgia not matter where you are raised.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:19 PM

796 posts, read 1,763,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
commit sodomy with a local politician just to get their driver's license
Go on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island