Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:52 PM

265 posts, read 945,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You are kidding, aren't you?
Centereach and Selden are probably like 5% black, tops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 02:58 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
(FYI; did you ever vote in Malverne. Lakeview is rudely segregated to the back of the gym while the "white" Malverne residents vote in the front. I always found this troubling and sort of obvious).

How can you assume that is due to racism? Isn't it quite possible there is another valid reason, like Malverne will have more voters than Lakeview and that's why it's set up that way?

I don't think that's a fair assumption just b/c one group is white/another is black, yet you really don't know the reasons behind the set up to begin with.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:30 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
How can you assume that is due to racism? Isn't it quite possible there is another valid reason, like Malverne will have more voters than Lakeview and that's why it's set up that way?

I don't think that's a fair assumption just b/c one group is white/another is black, yet you really don't know the reasons behind the set up to begin with.

True, but whatever the reasons, I always found it to be a bit uncomfortable.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:10 PM

213 posts, read 702,919 times
(FYI; did you ever vote in Malverne. Lakeview is rudely segregated to the back of the gym while the "white" Malverne residents vote in the front. I always found this troubling and sort of obvious).

I can't even begin to understand what you are talking about. Voting takes place at Herbers gym. Every booth is lined up along the far wall. Each voter signs in at the appropriate book based on their last name (npt color as if I had to type this) and then they walk to the nearest booth to that table. There are never people waiting to vote. Typical turnpout is 900-1100 voters and the polls are open all day. There is no segragation. I'm just not certain what you think you saw or even worse-heard.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 PM

213 posts, read 702,919 times
Quote:
My apologies. I was just giving my opinion from my own experiences in living there. Considering the very high taxes in Malverne (my parents pay $14,000) I really don't view the schools that highly at all. If you look at the Newsday school report card, their scores are near the bottom of passing schools. I don't think Lakeview is extremely dangerous, but I can't call it an ideal area (or middle class), which is what this posting is requesting. I'm not an elitist by any means, but I really do not like the Malverne schools. I am happy to see that they are trying to make improvements, but all I can post is my own opinion. Nobody has to agree with me.
The schools are not near the bottom. Please do your research before posting. Scores come out this Sunday. Have a look. Also refrain from disparaging the school district that your parents live in. They probably have a substantial amount of their equity tied to property values in Malverne. I also need to ask-did you attend Malverne schools and if not where did your information come from? How can you speak to the environment in our schools if you did not experience it yourself?

Old 06-16-2008, 08:23 PM

222 posts, read 892,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaam View Post
Can anyone tell me where the middle class african americans live? I'm open to both nassau and suffolk counties
I've been watching this thread and apparently it's heat-up so I'll throw in my opinion. First to answer your question we really need to define what you mean by "middle-class." This has been beaten to death in different threads, but let's assume for arguement sake you mean A.A. family of 4 with a minimum annual income between $120K to $150K. Where do these "middle-class" A.A. live:

In Nassau - Valley Stream, South Hempstead, West Hempstead, Baldwin (parts/especially the Harbor), NW Freeport (Stearns Park area), Westbury Village (especially North of Northern State Pkwy).

In Suffolk - Not much...really...parts of Huntington Station/South Huntington (?)and Wheatley Heights.

That being said, I'm extremely familiar with the places that I've mentioned, because these were all places I lived (VS) or considered moving to when I began house hunting a few years back. Some of the areas/sections you never hear about as being "middle class" because white people consider the areas to have "uncomfortable" levels of minorities irrespective of socio-economic status. Once a few two many people of color arrive "white-flight" begins to occur because no one wants to be the "last one" left. This is further compounded by people with children who prefer that their children not "mix" with minorities socially for fear one may bring one home. Once this occurs you will begin to hear things like "changing demographics" or general levels of "discomfort" around "neighborhood deterioration" that test scores and neighborhood asthetics do not support.

Personally, unless/(until) I can afford to move cross the street to Old Westbury (which is 14% A.A.) I believe there is value in demonstrating to a young A.A. /(minority) child that it's not necessary to have all white neighbors as the sole or defining benchmark of success. So many inner-city A.A. and other less-affluent minority youth are unaware that their are middle and upper-middle class enclaves were people of color flourish by any standard. Unfortunately, these examples are more of the exception than the rule.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:44 PM

79 posts, read 320,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean Sean Sean Sean View Post
don't Get Confused, Kelly....i Think The Suggestions Are Appropriate For The Most Part, But How Come When These Places Are Suggested In Other Threads They Typically Elicit A Much Different Response From The User Base Here?

Yeah, But It's Also Pretty Expensive, No? I Actually Think Wheatley Heights Might Be Out Of The Grasp Of "middle Class" As Well. I'm Not Really Sure Though, I'm Not Incredibly Familiar With That Area. I Think Part Of Melville Goes To Half Hollow Hills Schools Too.

The First Two That Come To Mind For Me Are Valley Stream And Baldwin, But Having Some Statistics Handy Never Hurt! Here's A List Of Every Place In Nassau & Suffolk Counties That Have Both An African-american Population Larger Than 10%* And A Median Family Income Between $65,000-$95,000. Please Note That These Figures Are From The 2000 Census And At That Time The Median Family Income Was $72,112 For Suffolk And $81,246 For Nassau.

*since These Figures Are Eight Years Old, They're Somewhat Out Of Date And I'm Using A Low Percentage Of Black Population Because It Has Increased Considerably In Most Areas. Baldwin, For Instance, Was Only 17.9% Black At The Time Of The Census, While The School District Was At 40% For This Year - A Good Indication Of The Current Population.

location...................mfi($).....%african-american
South Hempstead.......$85,259.....12.1%
East Massapequa........$83,373.....12.3%
Brookhaven................$80,863.....10.1%
Greenvale..................$80,292.....12.7%
Wheatley Heights........$79,745.....48.4%
Baldwin.....................$78,400.....17.9%
Westbury..................$77,988.....22.7%
North Valley Stream....$77,914.....44.7%
Greenlawn.................$76,917.....10.3%
Bridgehampton...........$74,583.....17.4%
Yaphank...................$72,348.....11.2%
East Farmingdale........$71,726.....14.8%
Coram......................$70,769.....33.6%
East Garden City........$70,048.....54.1%
Islandia....................$69,615.....12.3%
Bay Shore.................$69,046.....17.0%
Lakeview...................$68,946.....85.0%
Elmont......................$68,646.....34.7%
Long Beach...............$68,222.....26.2%
South Floral Park........$68,000.....59.1%
Uniondale..................$67,264.....55.5%
Deer Park..................$67,128.....12.1%
Huntington Station......$67,115.....11.6%
West Babylon.............$67,015.....10.3%
Thank You Very Much. This Is Very Informative And Helpful!!

Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 PM

222 posts, read 892,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaam View Post
Thank You Very Much. This Is Very Informative And Helpful!!
I would like to add that the median income for A.A. in Westbury in 1999 $ was roughly $97K...the $78K for 2000 is a blended number...just fyi.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:07 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
My apologies. I was just giving my opinion from my own experiences in living there. Considering the very high taxes in Malverne (my parents pay $14,000) I really don't view the schools that highly at all. If you look at the Newsday school report card, their scores are near the bottom of passing schools. I don't think Lakeview is extremely dangerous, but I can't call it an ideal area (or middle class), which is what this posting is requesting. I'm not an elitist by any means, but I really do not like the Malverne schools. I am happy to see that they are trying to make improvements, but all I can post is my own opinion. Nobody has to agree with me.
What I find interesting is that you cite Elmont over Lakeview and trying to make the suggestion that Elmont is more middle class than Lakeview and seemingly has better schools than Malverne (which is where Lakeview students go). However, the very state be it, test scores, college entries, regents diplomas and incomes show the exact opposite and that Lakeview is in a better school district and a bit wealthier than Elmont.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,089 times
John in Westbury brings up a very good point...how does the OP define middle class? Because some people on here have posted that making 150K on LI doesn't even constitute middle class.

From my own personal experience, I look for a good SD and neighborhoods that hold resale values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island