Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:27 AM

208 posts, read 913,703 times

Advertisements

To ILLIB, I am happy for you that your experience living in VS is as pleasurable as you have described it, I really am, however, I have given my opinion as well, and I guess it's up to the OP and other people reading this to take everything we wrote and make an informed decision on whether or not they want to live there. My experiences in VS were not as rosey as yours no doubt.

But one thing I had to laugh at was your description of the "beautiful" state park right in VS. Beautiful alright...I remember riding my bike down the path off of Hendrickson Ave and winding up in the state park surrounded by a huge group of black people who basically were on the verge of chasing me out just for riding my bike around there. Yep, never went to that park again!

If you don't mind me asking, what part of VS do you live in? I ask because like I mentioned, the different parts of VS have different make ups and maybe I just lived in a section that was further along the demographic change curve than you do. I grew up south of Sunrise off Rockaway Ave, and when I came back 3 years ago I lived in Westwood.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 AM

35 posts, read 126,029 times
Funny when I saw the OP question I thought here we go again TROLL ALERT!! the OP knew where this would head. All he/she has to do is look up the demographics of the area and drive through and take a look. It probable would not have made much of a difference if the OP worded the question different, but asking the question this way I have been reading these boards for a while and I swear it never fails, someone comes on ask a passive/aggressive question about an area usually mixed or black area just to generate controversial off topic post. Just to get back on topic, my suggestion is if the OP is concerned about white flight, then they may want to look into Massapequa, wantagh, seaford just to name a few. VS is close to queens, so it is only a matter of time the demographic will change and so would everywhere else.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
This thread certainly reeks of hatred and hostility!

This is exactly why Long Islanders are considered a JOKE throughout much of the rest of the country. Small minded, racist, intolerant, ignorant, provincial mentality.

Sadly, this reminds me of a recent conversation I had with my cousin who lives in Houston. She told me about a new coworker, who is a transplant from Long Island. The coworker complained bitterly to her that he could not find a middle class neighborhood to live in that was all white. Conservative Junior Leaguer and member of the DAR that she is, she even had good reason to down her nose at him. (And I used to tease her and call her a redneck when I was a kid. Is my face red!) So to that nameless Long Islander who is horrified to live in Houston where middle class blacks, asians and hispanics are not marginalized and segregated, thanks for embarrassing us. Although due to this thread, I see we manage to show our ignorance quite nicely, don't we?

Or maybe I am the weirdo and do not fit in on Long Island.
When you take a number of quotes from various people, then copy and paste them out of context, you can create a post rife with hate.

Had you taken a moment and read my post with respect to the post I was answering, you would have seen I was trying to explain the anti-black sentiment I saw as a kid in Massapequa. Did I say those things, believe those things, or even promote such intolerance? NO. But your cutesy copy and paste makes me look like a hater.

You've taken my post and misconstrued it to fit your agenda. While I might have had this hatred around me, I did not allow it to make me one of them.

To paint all LIers as "small minded, racist, etc." is as bad as the Massapequa families who called black people bad names in Italian. Haters come in all shapes and sizes. By labeling all of us without knowing all of us, you are no better.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I am temporarily closing this thread. It has just gotten too heated and unpleasant. Remember that this is primarily a real estate forum & not really a debate forum about social issues. I'll speak with the other mods to get an opinion about re-opening it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island