Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 06:02 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times

Advertisements

For the past few years, it seemed like the stores along Rockaway Ave. were struggling. There were quite a few vacant storefronts and the new ones were either nail places or 99 cents type of stores. Lately, I've noticed some type of revitalization going on. There is a new moderately priced (not low-scale) restaurant with a connecting eat-in bakery, a women's evening wear store, a consignment toy store, a Starbucks style independent coffee shop with lectures/entertainment/collectibles.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was some change in the local government policy or what was done to entice new independent businesses to come to Rockaway Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Hmm have not been on rockaway ave in a long time. Is cafe napoli still there?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:36 PM

Yes, it is, Lubby. I have not been in there for years.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Yes, it is, Lubby. I have not been in there for years.
Me neither, how abut itgen's and that other coffee shop (forgot the name)

Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
For the past few years, it seemed like the stores along Rockaway Ave. were struggling. There were quite a few vacant storefronts and the new ones were either nail places or 99 cents type of stores. Lately, I've noticed some type of revitalization going on. There is a new moderately priced (not low-scale) restaurant with a connecting eat-in bakery, a women's evening wear store, a consignment toy store, a Starbucks style independent coffee shop with lectures/entertainment/collectibles.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was some change in the local government policy or what was done to entice new independent businesses to come to Rockaway Ave.
About a year ago I remember being in the library and they had a questionnaire for residents about what kind of new businesses we would like on Rockaway Avenue and information about plans to fix it up over there. Besides the new stores there is nice new masonry, sidewalks, plants, etc. I wanted a bookstore that would have readings, signings, etc. (like Book Review in Huntington), but these days they are not doing too well.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Me neither, how abut itgen's and that other coffee shop (forgot the name)
You probably mean Mitchell's.

Itgen's and Mitchell's are still there, although Mitchell's is under new ownership.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You probably mean Mitchell's.

Itgen's and Mitchell's are still there, although Mitchell's is under new ownership.
yes thanks, Mitchells was the other place I was thinking of.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM

Mitchell's is always under new ownership.

Still curious about the turnaround in occupancy and why now.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Mitchell's is always under new ownership.

Still curious about the turnaround in occupancy and why now.
I meant the original owners of Mitchell's who ran it for years are no longer there.

I guess business owners recognized that the Village is a good place to open a store? There are also other long-time successful businesses besides Itgen's and Mitchell's there like the girl's dress shop "Ask Alice" and the skateboarding store. Maybe the new businesses saw their success and decided to replicate it.

Why not now? Now is as good a time as any!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 PM

The original owners of Mitchell's have been gone for quite a while and it has changed hands several times. I do think that Itgens is still family run, but I haven't seen Walter (Itgen) in a long time, not sure if he is still around.

For several years, as old businesses vacated, the stores remained empty or were replaced with nail place after nail place. Since the economy has gotten worse, I am just surprised that there are new businesses and they are not all catering to a low-income clientele. I also know that the Itgens owned much of the commerical space and supposedly charged high rents, not caring if they were leased or not. So perhaps, they have either changed their policy or they no longer own the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island