Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 04:39 PM

55 posts, read 180,855 times

Advertisements

Walt Whitman mall is the uspscale mall that people like to frequent and shop at for alot of reasons. No food court, the best stores in a small location, and relatively stress free compared to roosevelt field. I would be very surprised to see any major closings there. If there are the space would be imo snapped up quickly by another retailer.
The economy is not doing well but Long Islanders are doing much better than other parts of the country. Drops in home prices have been relatively tame compared to the hotspots in the US. Could things get worse? Sure, but I am starting to believe that these headlines in store closings, everyone talking about oil, and tons of wall street layoffs will mark a bottom in our economy and not a top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:23 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Pretty soon we will have the new Tanger Outlet (The Arches) right down the road off Deer Park Avenue. I can't imagine that these new stores would be opening if the economic climate on Long Island were so unfavorable.

For me, in Babylon Village, it is only a ten minute drive.

http://thearchesny.com/site.swf

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Deer Park

[quote=nancy thereader;4232146]Pretty soon we will have the new Tanger Outlet (The Arches) right down the road off Deer Park Avenue./quote]

In the Hamlet of Deer Park ...

For those who may not be familiar with Deer Park:

Deer Park is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Babylon, inside the almost right angle formed by the Babylon/Huntington and Babylon/Islip town lines in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Deer Park in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington (the Babylon/Huntington town line); on the east by the Hamlet of Brentwood and the Hamlet of Baywood in the Town of Islip (the Babylon/Islip town line); on the south by the Hamlet of North Babylon; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Wyandanch and the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ac/Deer-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Deer Park has a different border than does the "Deer Park, NY 11729" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Deer Park, NY 11729" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Deer Park and a place can have other than a "Deer Park, NY 11729" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Deer Park): places that have a "Deer Park, NY 11729" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Deer Park are in the Hamlet of Wyandanch; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Deer Park with a "Wyandanch, NY 11798" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 06-25-2008, 07:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
Funny, I always found Walt Whitman to be very bare to begin with, in terms of shopping. It always seemed like something was closed. Maybe it's just me.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 06-25-2008 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Default This could be a good thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
Actually it's not about shopping it's about our economy. It's sad. Levitz..big to Long Island closing after 76 years. I think this has a lot to do with Long Island....our future....our job market...and inevitibly our real estate.....it's all connected.

ann taylor
cache
children's place
foot locker
j.jill
gap
sharper image
macys
zales

to name a few stores on that list from Walt Whitman Mall

people say that "they won't close those stores on Long Island"....but, how many homes on Long Island are in Short Sale & Foreclosure right now? How much is Gas? How much is oil going to cost this winter? This is certainly not about shopping.... it's about all of us....
I realize things are not great for some folks in a time of economic strain for many, but the route to solving much of this is to soak in some of the pain of faltering retail performances, writing off of crappy loans, and short selling housing supply to drop neighborhood comps in order to eventually return to an economic equilibrium. Retail stores who over-expanded and/or are now faltering are poorly run businesses. It is like a stock investor who can only make money in a bull market..when the bear market hits they are pink-slipped, and their more talented counterparts are still employed. If any long islander is an investor in these companies they will in fact benefit, even if they can no longer find their Zales diamonds locally .

Old 06-25-2008, 09:04 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Walt Whitman seems to do pretty well despite it's smaller size. It caters well to upscale professionals who dont want to deal with the zoo that Roosevelt Field can be.
But with the slowing economy, it's pretty hilarious that the folks who want to build that mall in Syosset, plan to go ahead, because they got a sympathetic judge.
Most of LI's malls seem to do OK, I dont notice many vacancies, Smith Haven, Roosevelt Field, and Walt Whitman seem to have the least amount of vacancies.
Sharper Image seems to be closing most of its stores on L.I., the ones at Smith Haven and Roosevelt Field are closing.
Long Island (and the NYC Metro area) are faring better retail wise than the west of the nation though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island