Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,206 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have a 2 year old and we're definately planning on moving somewhere in Nassau. (Currently we live in Forest Hills)We don't want to be too far from the city considering we both work there. Somewhere before exit 40 would be good, but any other suggestions would be great! We want a convenient location thats close to the LIRR, and a beautiful, clean, culturaly diverse neighborhood with no crime/low crime.

We're not looking to buy were looking to rent... a 2bedroom and our budget is around 2000 a month. (We would love to buy but we're working on getting our credit good and also working on our careers...)

Also, would u you guys happen to know of any gated communites/apartment communites that are in good neighborhoods and are in our price range & distance?

Thanks alot in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,555 times
Great Neck. 20 min to Penn, good downtown, excellent schools, diverse housing and population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenem86 View Post
My husband and I have a 2 year old and we're definately planning on moving somewhere in Nassau. (Currently we live in Forest Hills)We don't want to be too far from the city considering we both work there. Somewhere before exit 40 would be good, but any other suggestions would be great! We want a convenient location thats close to the LIRR, and a beautiful, clean, culturaly diverse neighborhood with no crime/low crime.

We're not looking to buy were looking to rent... a 2bedroom and our budget is around 2000 a month. (We would love to buy but we're working on getting our credit good and also working on our careers...)

Also, would u you guys happen to know of any gated communites/apartment communites that are in good neighborhoods and are in our price range & distance?

Thanks alot in advance for your help!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:56 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,904 times
You may have a tough time finding a 2 bed at that price in Great Neck--I looked.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Great Neck Plaza area would be my 1st choice...safe, close to everything, great schools and a decent amount of rentals. However like the other posters said, finding something at $2000 may be tough, but not impossible.
There are other areas in Nassau, the towns on the south shore, Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa are nice, but its gonna be harder to find a rental there, but if you do it'll be cheaper than Great Neck.
There are certain areas which have a good amount of rentals but need to be avoided, in my opinion. Glen Cove is isolated and has some pockets of undesirable sections. The schools aren't great. Hempstead..Freeport...again...areas to stay out of for good reason. They are building new apartments in my town, Westbury village, but most of the village (except for the section west of Ellison) is going downhill, with a huge problem with illegals and gangs.
Really try and go for Great Neck, they may have some rentals right by the train station for $2000 or less, esp in the buildings along Schenk ave which have rent stabalized.
If you cant get Great Neck, try some of the towns along the south shore like I mentioned. But the central part of Nassau (with the exception of NHP/Herricks) is going downhill. Avoid Westbury,New Cassel, Freeport, Hempstead, Uniondale, etc,
You may be better off in Queens if you cant get into a safer area in Nassau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island