Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:55 PM

73 posts, read 292,475 times

Advertisements

I recently sold my house and the buyers were aware very early in the process that we would be staying in the house for a couple days to move on the weekend. We paid rent (amounting to the daily interest on their loan) and left the house in the same condition they saw when they did the walk-thru.
We left a couple grand in escrow which was returned to us after we left the house and it was a pretty smooth and painless process. I feel for you that you got stuck buying from some unscrupulous people but sometimes that happens. All you can do is make sure you have all the terms in the contract and make sure you have a good lawyer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 05:23 PM

61 posts, read 152,790 times
When is the house that you are buying technically yours? Is it when you sign the contract and give an initial down payment or only after the closing? If they haven't lived in the house for awhile will that make a difference on when you may get the keys?

Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railmomma View Post
When is the house that you are buying technically yours? Is it when you sign the contract and give an initial down payment or only after the closing? If they haven't lived in the house for awhile will that make a difference on when you may get the keys?
Once you close (money changes hands), the house is yours. And that's the time you should get the keys...

Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 AM

16 posts, read 60,946 times
We had our sellers stay for a week and they left the home absolutely filthy. I know a "broom sweep" is all that is required but the place had inches and inches of dust, food left in the fridge, and a layer of mold in the bathroom... things that weren't there at the walkthru (at least I didn't notice the mold).

They did leaves us wine and champagne... and boy did we need it!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:19 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,994 times
Default This isn't that big a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purelygeneric View Post
From what I've gathered, it's fairly commonplace for a seller to maintain possession several days after closing. I'm having a hard time grasping this concept.

So I will OWN the house and be paying the mortgage while a stranger lives in it? They are putting several thousand dollars into escrow, but what if something gets seriously damaged? Or, what if they refuse to leave? Get injured on the property? And so on.

My lawyer had me sign the contract, but every time I mention this to folks, they think it's nuts.

How can I make sure I am protected? Is this normal?
I did this once before, and the previous owner paid me rent for each day. Money was put in escrow as a security deposit. Take pictures during the walk-through, and use them to determine if there has been damage.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Default Sorry, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railmomma View Post
Why would it be yours after putting down a down payment. The house belongs to the owner until s/he/they have been paid for it. This happens at the closing.

The contract is a contract to buy. The guarantees that the house is taken off of the market. That the seller won't sell it out from under you. It alo guarantees the seller that you won't bail because you've put up a large down payment you hope not to lose by violating the contract.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 AM

Default Thanks for reminding me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
When I did this with my first house, my lawyer put in a daily rent, but if for some reason they stayed beyond the time they needed to close on their new house and get out, the daily rent increased over time.
When we rented the house we bought, the rent became increasingly punitive. It was designed to pay our emergency rent in the event that they stayed beyond the agreed time and beyond the point we HAD to leave our apartment.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 AM

146 posts, read 840,640 times
For us, the transaction went very smoothly. My initial fears were unfounded, though it certainly could have been plain luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: