Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can we attract the same caliber of Police applicants for less money?
Yes 22 52.38%
No 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 06:57 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,935,331 times

Advertisements

I agree with you, but its not their fault *we* let things get so out of control, they are just getting away with what they can like the double dipping school supers.
Its the system that's effed up.
Figure out how we can fix & then you're on to something
Best
K

Old 08-18-2008, 07:00 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,935,331 times
yes, I personally know several NYPD officers & while they are paid like crap, they are excellent at what they do, they are dedicated, they are good family people.
Why do our LI officers have to be paid four or five times more than the city cops?

Best
K

Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 AM

155 posts, read 298,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Sounds like a guy who made a good career choice.

I have to agree with pdncret, get over it, it's a contract that isn't going to change by complaining. What you can do is start making your voice heard by those who negotiate the contracts.
If you don't mind paying to make cops wealthy, then do me a favor and open up your check book. This isn't a guy who made a good career choice, this is an example of just how broken the system is.

And no, I will not get over it. My fellow long islanders, as do those people thinking of moving here, need to see the inequity. Just because it is a contract doesn't mean we can't complain. How about I sign a contract with the county saying it should pay me 50,000 a year to pick my nose. Are you going to state then that, "well its a contract and it isn't going to change by complaing"? Clamboy said it best - sunshine is the best disinfactant.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:29 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Then complain all you want but don't expect anything to change until the next contract negotiation. Then when it does you better be working full time with as many citizens as possible to force your views to be heard. Also you better have a better argument than SCPD is paid too much and have a good solution to the problem ready.

Sorry but if someone is smart enough to take advantage of a broken system then that is a good career choice.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Also you better have a better argument than SCPD is paid too much and have a good solution to the problem ready.

Sorry but if someone is smart enough to take advantage of a broken system then that is a good career choice.
First of all, I do have a better argument than that. I guess you haven't been reading the other threads.

Secondly, that is very Machiavellian of you to say. So if an ATM is broken and spits out money I should just take it? I'm sorry, but I guess I live at a higher standard than you. I was brought up differently it seems. As to the police, I don't begrudge them for their salaries, but abusing OT, especially to increase pensions is 150% wrong.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:42 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,149,446 times
Nope, one is stealing and the other is how the system works. Don't like the way the system works, then change it, but sitting behind your computer insulting the SCPD isn't going to do much in that regard.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:58 AM

366 posts, read 1,036,996 times
If just discussing economics, we can say that any job can be done for less. Anyone out there who is working can certainly do their job for less money, but the question is . . . would you?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
If just discussing economics, we can say that any job can be done for less. Anyone out there who is working can certainly do their job for less money, but the question is . . . would you?
Wrong again - because those of us in the private sector are paid based upon the supply of our labor and the demand for it. If we are paid too much money, we can be laid off. If a company has 30,000 applicants for 200 open positions, and it can and will lower the compensation for those positions. This is not the case with the police force.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Nope, one is stealing and the other is how the system works. Don't like the way the system works, then change it, but sitting behind your computer insulting the SCPD isn't going to do much in that regard.
I'm not inslting anyone, just bringing to light the inequities that exist. Sorry if this differs from your agenda.

And again, if you don't think the police officers artificially increasing their OT the 3 years before they are retiring is not stealing, then we just have 2 entirely different sets of morals and must agree to disagree.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 AM

153 posts, read 380,821 times
No cop bashing here, I repsect and appreciate the job they do that I would not do, the stress and problems they face I cannot comprehend.

They are however overcompensated by a system in dire need of reform. I won't comment on the 125K average salary, but the pension program is like a winning lottery ticket.

Spiking overtime the last 3 years before retirement is the norm, cops will bust their a** for 3 years, making 140, 160, 180K a year to boost their average earnings. If the cop joined the force at 19, he can retire at 39 years old and collect 70, 80, 90K a year for the rest of their and their spouses lives.

This is not an indictment on the individuals, I would work hard and squeeze every nickel I could out for retirement as well. The issue is that the taxpayers foot the bill and it is not right, no public companies offer these type of benefits. They would go out of business. Very few companies even offer pensions anymore. Reform is neeed in most state governments to curb these excessive pensions.

To answer the OP, yes, if compensation was reduced but still fair there would be no drop off in quality people joining the force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island