Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2007, 02:53 PM

68 posts, read 294,245 times

Advertisements

please tell me there really aren't people out there that believe a 9/11 can only happen in NYC!?!?!?!? Because it can happen anywhere.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,389 times
Red face shirley/mastic/mastic beach

I live in a beautiful community of Mastic Beach, soon to be incorporated!
People who speak badly of our neighborhood, are as bad as the slumlords that we are in the process of reducing right now as we speak.I have the most gorgeous views of narrows bay right at my fingertips, Smith's point beach,werthiem wildlife refuge,south haven park,carmen's river to canoe down and my children have excelled at the William Floyd school district!!We have a number 1 football team on long island, who won the rutgers football award, A great music and art department . Right now our neighborhood is going through a revitalization, we are a historic town with 2 historic home William floyd's estate and the manor of st. George.We are cleaning up the mess made by investment landlords and enforcing codes!!We have Anna Wintour who resides in our community( The lady from The devil wears prada)
WE have lawyers,doctors,nurses,tradesmen,teachers a large gay population,
art professors and many people from manhatten who have their second homes here!!WE love this community!!I challenge anyone who is thinking of moving here to get in now before we incorporate!!

Old 05-05-2007, 05:51 PM

125 posts, read 471,998 times
I've lived away from LI since 1999. Every time I visit my relatives in Massapequa, I am in shock at how different everything is. It's not all bad but I can not believe the traffic congestion! My folks are constantly complaining about the taxes and everyone seems so angry. I think LI is growing too quickly for the "natives", not to mention it's becoming more demographically diverse. High taxes, traffic congestion, AND having to deal with different types of people...sometimes that's hard to take.

I do love that there are more places to go on LI, like that great new water park, tanger outlets, the whole Westbury shopping scene, and the beach NEVER loses it's magic.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:33 PM

13 posts, read 53,992 times
i stopped reading these threads may be 10 minutes ago and just switched to headers only. again and again i saw people knocking LI. its expensive, its crowded, its this its that, lipa, water etc etc. i have no idea what world these people live in? i have lived in the bronx and westchester for last 12 years. and i will tell you that when some one says $8000 in taxes, i jump up to see where the house is and how small it is? i have school aged child and we have been looking for better school systems with mixed population( yes people thats how the real world in and around NYC is, its mixed. look around your work place, unless you work for KKK or al sharpton. no offence intended to anyone) and affordable housing. decent school system in westchester super expensive and think about westchester taxes for a second, most taxes start around $11000 and up. you can move to yonkers and live next to a school and most likely you will have your kid bussed to a different school due to certain school policies. riverdale in bronx is nice but try buying a house there, may be try with a co-op first, throgsneck the same, taxes are low but the houses start around $600000 and up. you can probably find a house thats is less expensive but be prepared that you may have to turn sideways to pass each other in the house.

and regarding, overcrowding. ever been in the city during rush hour. thats overcrowding.

traffic: comeon, stop complaining about traffic. stop buying huge cars and may be it will move faster and may be you will end up closer to the red light, if that makes you feel anybetter. people, what do you expect??? most of us are working people in the rush of life trying to live and make ends meet + its NYC and suburbs. a little traffic in a city where it can take almost 2 hours to get to 33rd street from 124th street on 2nd ave in rush hour should be no surprise or a major problem.

may be all you LI bashers ought to move outfor a while and then come back. its same all over.the only place that may be will make you happy is about 3 hours from NYC, rockland is gone too and overcrowded already. people are now moving to dutchess and orange to get a decent house and low taxes($6000-7000/year). 2-3hrs of daily one way commute on empty state highways shouldnt be a problem since you are so tired of crowds ( at 5:00am, your regular time to leave your house the state highways have very little traffic as well)

or may be you can move to new jersey. now jersey is not overcrowded at all.

there is a lot i would like to say ie LIPA vs CONED etc. but the point is people that stop bashing LI. it isnt that bad. enjoy the beaches, parks etc and stop putting a negative vibe about LI on the web.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:23 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,156,991 times
For all the cry babies out there. Growth in the New York Metropolitan area as slowed to a crawl. If it wasn't for immigration, the population would be shrinking. When you move to Phoenix, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Las Vegas etc., then you will really see what neck breaking growth is really like, in 5 years these places would have changed more than Long Island will in 15 years. And for people griping about the increase in diversity on Long Island. Increase in diversity in these new cities is happening at a much faster clip. Long Island is expensive for a reason, location.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:19 AM

51 posts, read 193,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIer2b View Post
i stopped reading these threads may be 10 minutes ago and just switched to headers only. again and again i saw people knocking LI. its expensive, its crowded, its this its that, lipa, water etc etc. i have no idea what world these people live in? i have lived in the bronx and westchester for last 12 years. and i will tell you that when some one says $8000 in taxes, i jump up to see where the house is and how small it is? i have school aged child and we have been looking for better school systems with mixed population( yes people thats how the real world in and around NYC is, its mixed. look around your work place, unless you work for KKK or al sharpton. no offence intended to anyone) and affordable housing. decent school system in westchester super expensive and think about westchester taxes for a second, most taxes start around $11000 and up. you can move to yonkers and live next to a school and most likely you will have your kid bussed to a different school due to certain school policies. riverdale in bronx is nice but try buying a house there, may be try with a co-op first, throgsneck the same, taxes are low but the houses start around $600000 and up. you can probably find a house thats is less expensive but be prepared that you may have to turn sideways to pass each other in the house.

and regarding, overcrowding. ever been in the city during rush hour. thats overcrowding.

traffic: comeon, stop complaining about traffic. stop buying huge cars and may be it will move faster and may be you will end up closer to the red light, if that makes you feel anybetter. people, what do you expect??? most of us are working people in the rush of life trying to live and make ends meet + its NYC and suburbs. a little traffic in a city where it can take almost 2 hours to get to 33rd street from 124th street on 2nd ave in rush hour should be no surprise or a major problem.

may be all you LI bashers ought to move outfor a while and then come back. its same all over.the only place that may be will make you happy is about 3 hours from NYC, rockland is gone too and overcrowded already. people are now moving to dutchess and orange to get a decent house and low taxes($6000-7000/year). 2-3hrs of daily one way commute on empty state highways shouldnt be a problem since you are so tired of crowds ( at 5:00am, your regular time to leave your house the state highways have very little traffic as well)

or may be you can move to new jersey. now jersey is not overcrowded at all.

there is a lot i would like to say ie LIPA vs CONED etc. but the point is people that stop bashing LI. it isnt that bad. enjoy the beaches, parks etc and stop putting a negative vibe about LI on the web.
hardly bashing, just stating what has happened since I grew up there. Now, I have lived in other areas as well and you have rush hour traffice everywhere. That is not what I meant by becoming overcrowded. For, and remember we are all sharing our OPIONIONS here, i don't like people being right on top of me all the top and that is what you get there now...JUST MY OPIONION.
Ye you have the beaches, blah blah blah but there is more than beaches when you live in a place. And we all have parks, beautiful ones by me right along the hudson..oh yea and there are beaches here too

Old 05-06-2007, 05:21 AM

51 posts, read 193,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjandamom View Post
please tell me there really aren't people out there that believe a 9/11 can only happen in NYC!?!?!?!? Because it can happen anywhere.......
my commment about 9/11 was the fact that a lot of people started migrating away from NYC up here to the hudson valley and other areas as well. Not stating that it wouldn't happen anywhere else....

Old 05-06-2007, 09:16 AM

125 posts, read 471,998 times
I didn't say Diversity was a BAD thing I said for some people it's hard to take. The reason people complain about taxes in LI is because they are among the highest in the NATION. The traffic is terrible because the highways are not meeting the needs of the population increase. LI is growing fast and that's OK for some and difficult for others who enjoyed a quieter life.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,156,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
I didn't say Diversity was a BAD thing I said for some people it's hard to take. The reason people complain about taxes in LI is because they are among the highest in the NATION. The traffic is terrible because the highways are not meeting the needs of the population increase. LI is growing fast and that's OK for some and difficult for others who enjoyed a quieter life.
Long Island is not growing fast anymore. Go to the Census web site to see for yourself.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 AM

18 posts, read 76,314 times
AMEN LIer2B...I agree with you! Long Island is a great place to live! It's more than just a place to shop! Crime is low...schools are good...beaches are beautiful...parks abound...winters are mild...why complain? You can shop in a mall, then drive out east to the farms and relax...all in the same day! Ok, ok...taxes are high, but some places are only a few dollars short of our tax system...Long Island always gets a bad rap....and it's a shame. Also, the roads have been cleaned up alot...thanks to the people who volunteer their time and share their names on those signs on the highways! We all, at one point, have a "grass is always greener" thought..but wake up! Smell the wonderful sea air, and thank the good lord you live in a very desirable place! Peace out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island