Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 10:37 AM

330 posts, read 1,977,175 times

Advertisements

Ok here we are in Jan 2007. I moved away from Long Island over 10 years ago, back then it was a nice place to live in my opinion, but from reading these chat boards it sounds as if Long Island is a horrible place now.

I'm reading rising crime, Illegal Aliens, Traffic day & night, low paying salaries on LI, high taxes, low job growth,high utilty costs, expensive housing, and a corruption problem?

If thats all true why stay?

So is it really that bad? Has it changed so much?

Any info helps.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,786 times
Hi, well, if you think "rising crime, Illegal Aliens, Traffic day & night, low paying salaries on LI, high taxes, low job growth,high utilty costs, expensive housing, and a corruption problem" are problems, than yes that is a good indication of the current climate.

BUT, these problems can be found MOST everywhere, not just LI.

If youa re the poster that moved from Huntington to LV 10 years ago and are looking to come back (I think this is you) well Huntington has changed A LOT.

I just left Hunt. a year ago after being a homeowner for 11 years, and I was born and raised in that area so to me it is a completely different town. BUT, people love it there, it just is not my thing anymore.

LI is more crowded, more built, more traffic, more RUDENESS than I have ever seen, more stressed, more angry, more malls, more road construction, EVERYTHING more. BUT, the beaches are still there, the towns are still there, etc. It depends on what you are looking for for you and your family-for mine the high price to live there was no longer worth it, for many it is a small price to pay for what they want! Indeed, to each his own.

I will share all I know of LI if you wish-though I am most familiar with NS Suffolk and the North Fork. Once we bought the house in Huntington we did not do a lot of wandering around on LI, too stressful and no fun anymore, so we stayed within the "zone".

Keep asking, I bet you will hear from all sides

Old 01-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,922,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Ok here we are in Jan 2007. I moved away from Long Island over 10 years ago, back then it was a nice place to live in my opinion, but from reading these chat boards it sounds as if Long Island is a horrible place now.

I'm reading rising crime, Illegal Aliens, Traffic day & night, low paying salaries on LI, high taxes, low job growth,high utilty costs, expensive housing, and a corruption problem?

If thats all true why stay?

Any info helps.

Thanks
Yes it is really that bad...

Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
I agree with much of what JustSayNo wrote, for the problems plaguing Long Island, are new, and common, to many other areas too.

Would I suggest that the majority of Long Island is unsafe? No, not at all. Yet, to those who grew up here, the severity of police calls were seldom more than: "our cat got stuck in our front tree." Yet, although crime is low, and although the frequency of crimes committed is low, many better areas are now confronted with things not heard of in the past. For example, over the past five years, three or so people were murdered, in Bethpage/Farmingdale.

Utilities are high, as always, although LIPA is a little better than LILCO. Cost of housing is high, and unlike years past, you no longer have the benefit of being able to "find something real cheap way out on the Island."

Fewer areas are friendly, while a few areas are home to unbearably obnoxious, self absorbed, self serving, incredibly rude, people.

On the other hand, most of Long Island is still safe, our standard of living is high, and our villages are more quaint and picturesque than ever.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:31 PM

262 posts, read 1,232,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Fewer areas are friendly, while a few areas are home to unbearably obnoxious, self absorbed, self serving, incredibly rude, people.

On the other hand, most of Long Island is still safe, our standard of living is high, and our villages are more quaint and picturesque than ever.
I agree with both those statements.

I grew up in huntington and when I visit there now, I can't believe how much it has changed. To me it seems like nassau county was 30 years ago-very congested and overcrowded. I remember there were certain places we would go (bakery, dry cleaners, pizza place) where everyone knew everyone else and the business owners took care of you. Now everything is a franchise and everyone is so removed from the community. It's sad.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:24 PM

491 posts, read 829,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post

Any info helps.

Thanks
Yes, It’s really that bad especially the corruption and stealth underhanded things between Townships and builders.
Its been the worst between County Executive Suozzi (D) and the now Democrat Town of North Hempstead. NOW the LIRR has jumped into the act and wants to build more tracks.
They all want to be in the real estate business and the hell with the people, trees, and the famous “old rotten timbers” that get in the way ! Included abusing Eminent Domain to take private and give to private willing to bring in more tax.

This Suozzi character and 'friends" wants all and I mean ALL zoning restrictions tossed down the toilet out to build this "Mini Manhattan between New Hyde Park/Garden SCity and Great Neck/Manhasset.
Want to call it "The Great Nassau Hub" to bring in the big $$$ corporations in Manhattan that pay $$$$ rent for floors of office space.
North Shore LIJ Hospital and the Democrats started all this crap !

-joe

Old 01-30-2007, 08:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,555 times
Please, you really need to take everything with a grain of salt. Be certain that the majority of people on forums like this are there to either make things up or to gripe about something.

LI is NOT as bad as most people ***** about on this board and I can virtually guarantee that many of them would stay if they could "afford" to. I'm still not 100% certain that all the people that claim they cannot afford to really cannot. I don't know, I could be wrong.

LI still has low crime and many nice areas. Tons of shopping and restaurants, parks and other forms of recreation. You're close to NYC and to the rest that the NY metro area offers. Nassau and Suffolk have some of the highest salaries, highest savings, highest retail spend, and highest home values...along with highest taxes of anywhere in the country...so it can't all be that bad.

I think the main issue with LI people that gripe is that there is SO much nostalgia. It's like people with the Brooklyn Dodgers...anything different than 25 years ago is bad.

Who knows...I know I just moved here less than 1 year ago from Queens and I love it. I work here, will raise my kids here, and who knows what else. It's like anywhere else...you make the most of it or you don't. People can find something to gripe about anywhere or anything.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,555 times
Oh yeah, by the way...Nassau Hub is 77 acres of basically parking lots surrounding Nassau Coliseum. Now, I do not want LI to be like NYC, but some more, concentrated commericial development is the key to the future. Homeowners need to be able to lean on that.

I mean...does this look terrible...

http://www.lighthouseli.com/ (broken link)

Old 01-30-2007, 10:47 PM

491 posts, read 829,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Oh yeah, by the way...Nassau Hub is 77 acres of basically parking lots surroundinghttp://www.lighthouseli.com/ (broken link)
That's just the small friendy cartoon drawing bit fed to the Sheeple
A small city, housing for millionares and a Coliseum on 77 acres and you think it stop there once started ?
We already have this crap its called Great Neck Plaza and it's bad enough directly above a 2 track LIRR line WITHOUT a 22,000 seat arena, Aquarium and Zoo.

The Meadowbrook parkway is heavy or jammed from M3 Roosevelt field to M5 East on a normal day. Let alone this thing and a Coliseum who did the studies Jerry Lewis ?
100%. We already have the world largest parking lot its called the LIE.

Here is the rest of the song not in Newsday or NYT
Proof how crazy and sick detrimental Suozzi and his "friends" are. The complex will also include a Zoo, Aquariuman, 11 office buildings (5-10 floors high) and connections to towns he calls "Islands" Monorails, a Bus terminal, a new An intra-island rail system.(No doubt this will run on the old LI Motor Parkway ROW, currently owned by LIPA to supply power to the old NHP Sperry plants)
This guys crazy, Nassua County gov will take more peoples homes then Robert Moses and Aldorf Ratner (Atlantic Yards) put together !!
Read the stuff in the .PDF's Newsday doesnt print.

Check out this thread of info
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5686

Last edited by Joe L; 01-30-2007 at 11:01 PM..

Old 01-31-2007, 05:03 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,657 times
I think most of LI is heading down a slippery slope to becoming a very undesirable place for hard working middle class people. In my opinion some of the areas that are considered high end or affluent are filled with super wealthy, snobby, mean sprited people. If I won the powerball you wouldn't catch me dead on the 'miracle mile'. Its a friggin miracle if I can get down that road in my energy conscience economy car without getting killed by some obnoxious soccer mom, talking on her cell phone in some foreign tongue & drining a latte while speeding in her 6000 lb Range Rover. I'd feel safer if my car broke down on Straight Path in Wyandanch, at least somebody there might stop to help me.

To me the attitude & lifestyle choices of the majority of LIers(even the 'regular' people) make it crystal clear why the better part of the world hates americans. 'We' are greedy, self absorbed, gas guzzling, garbage creating, pigs.
I know lots of other places in the US are like this too, but its sad that 5 short years after 9/11 people are worse than they were before.
The housing prices are just not equivilent with what you get, the taxes as high as they are, never seem to be enough to fix our roads, or rainwater run off problems or maintain our local government facilities & god forbid your school district needs to build a new school. Brace yourself for even HIGHER taxes.
Everyone on LI is against alterative energy sources-the whole not in my backyard mentality again so people rant about their LIPA bills. Meanwhile on any given night in December you can drive through any LI neighborhood and count hundreds of those hideous blow up Christmas decorations & enough lights to illuminate a ball field-ALL NIGHT LONG(which as a side bar I'm sure Jesus really appreciates-that's exactly what he had in mind for his birthday no doubt).
How about a timer? Or shutting them before bed? With all of the highly educated people on this island you'd think they would understand the principles of energy conservation. And how when we don't practice it we cannot expect lower energy rates.
I've lived on Long Island my whole life, I now live in Eastern Suffolk. I feel like things are still a little less tainted here, but it will happen. I don't see myself living the rest of my life here, I'm not a fan of the rat race, or keeping up with the Joneses. My husband & I would like more land so we can attempt to be more self sufficient, the way humans were meant to be.
I do think there are a lot of natural things about Long Island that are fantastic, the beaches & parks for example. The proximity to NYC for those that work there.
I think making a move is a very personal choice & just like your decision to move to LV, its really up to you if you want to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island