Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2008, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 31,587 times

Advertisements

We'll be moving into a new home in manorville, and while it's not urgent, as there is oil left in the tank for now, we need to figure out who to use, and there are so many companies in the area- where do we begin?? I hate the price, obviously, but it's the same everywhere- basically. If i call for rates today, they will change come next month...
We will get a service contract, and prefer to avoid the COD route, for now- we want to get on a budget billing plan, and good customer service is key for us.
also, we have an underground storage tank (i know.... someday we will abandon it and move above ground)... so we will be needing tank insurance as well.

Can you negotiate prices with a company? There are so many, you'd think they'd respond to a little competition for business??

Can anyone recommend a company in the area??

We are also interested in biofuel, and would like to have that option in a company if we choose.

tia!~Holly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:06 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,546,713 times
Shop around for the best deal and get an service contract. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,393 times
from my experience when I lived in Wading River, I shopped around for the best price, it actually changes weekly, if not daily. I would suggest filling the tank now, rather than waiting until the first cold day/month as the companies will charge more, at least that's what I remember. I would ask your neighbors as well, see what company they have, if they are happy, shop between those names given for the best price/contract. Good Luck.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:50 PM

187 posts, read 863,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Shop around for the best deal and get an service contract. Good luck!

Agreed. Call around, ask questions and compare current prices, and see who gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling. Customer service goes a long way.

Also remember when asking about contract prices, a lot, if not most, of oil companies include just one heating zone in the service contract. So don't forget to ask about that and how much each additional zone would be. And make sure automatic deliveries are included.

Speaking of customer service, I chose my oil company for life based on the responses I got shortly after I moved into my house - it was a blizzard outside on a saturday night and we ran out of oil (the gauge was stuck and said we had a half a tank!). We called around and were told by multiple companies that they could deliver oil on monday! thanks for nothing!

We finally got in touch with one oil company who said they'd come right over, but would have to charge us a lot for the out of contract emergency call. He recommended I go and get some diesel fuel (and told me how many gallons would get us thru the night) so that I could save some money.

The next morning they called us back just to make sure we were ok.

I told them to come over and fill the tank, and signed the contract and I've been with them ever since, And they've never let me down.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,311 times
Default About WHO to buy from...Oil Pricing

I have recently gone through a divorce, gotten a new woman in my life and she currently has oil heat.

Now in my old (pre-divorce) home I had taken advantage of LIPA's (no longer using that name - oh well) rebate program and changed to GAS through them (apparently no longer an option for some strange reason - I smell whining). If this became an option I would jump on it. As prices changed over the years my heating costs stayed lower each year than oil and I saved a bundle and the air was a lot cleaner.

But, if you are staying with oil heat I can tell you that there are three methods that you will get charged.

1) Variable (based on oil/heating costs at the moment). As an example as of today (3.47 cents per gallon with a company call BLUE COLLAR (I have been checking for my GF).

2) Flat Rate/Fixed (for example around 3.599 gallon today with one such company).

3) The third option is speculative at best and offers lower rates IF the prices go below the current market rate. I would avoid this one. One example CAPS at 3.77 pg and today was 3.66 per gallon. While your prices MAY go down again I would not count on that...

Now the third option I would avoid...the second is good if you want steady prices and know exactly what your going to pay per gallon each month/year. But I warn you that this gets you into a lazy cycle. My GF has been using PETRO since way before she was divorced and got a bit complacent. They have her at a price of 4.50 pg or so. I can't tell you how disgusted I am with them (Petro) for charging that rate to a long term LOYAL customer who trusted them.

On top of that there price today was at least a dollar less per gallon than that price I mentioned above.

So take some time to review your options each year and when your first starting with a fuel company (it could literally same you a lot of money...ex: 400 gallons at 3.47 Cash would be 1422.70. In contrast at only 3.99 pg @ 400 gallons is 1596. That could amount to hundreds in savings each year.

Good luck and be safe BB.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:42 AM

537 posts, read 1,449,010 times
I would never get a variable or capped rate with an oil company, because they can basically charge whatever they feel is the "current" rate. I would expect to pay the max with any of these plans.

I would only go fixed rate for a year, or straight up COD and a service contract with a separate company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island