Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM

37 posts, read 172,356 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Greenwood Village in Manorville...they are Manufactured/Modular homes. They are south of the LIE and North of Sunrise highway off of Chapman Blvd.

They seem too good to be true!

Thanks for any feedback!
EM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
It is a 55+ community. I haven't driven through it, just past it, but it looks somewhat decent. Some of the homes aren't well kept.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:12 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
When I was doing cable work I did do quite a few jobs there.Most are 2 bedroom homes and are very nice. They are 55 and over,but stores are a little away from it. They are kept quite nice though and are safe. Personally I think Manorville is a great town except for their high taxes but the complex I would give a thumbs up!

Old 05-14-2010, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 19,272 times
You wouldn't want to live in Greenwood Village. Those lots are leased and some people pay over $900.00 a month to lease the ground their home sits on. It's outrageous!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 19,069 times
I live there and love it. There are slightly more than 500 homes in a gated community. You do not own the land but that means taxes are just on the dwelling. I have a 2 bedroon, 1 and 1/2 baths with a garage and pay only about $2000 in taxes. The maintenance fees can be considered high (mine are $900) but I feel it's offset by the low taxes. It includes city water and sewer fees. It is very quiet and peaceful. Many own a home here but winter in Florida so winters are really quiet. It is an active community and you can take advantage of the clubhouse, built-in swimming pool, a gym (usually I'm the only one in it), putting green, bocce, billiards, a wood-working shop, etc. If you need a ride or don't feel like driving, there's a courtesy bus that picks you up and drives to area shopping centers and churches. You don't have to worry about cutting the lawn or snow removal because that's done for you. I will be moving to Virginia to be closer to my children and grandchildren and will look to sell my home for $75,000. Where are you going to buy something decent on Long Island for that amount?

Last edited by Harstar; 07-20-2010 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: It was too long.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 15,342 times
I would like to learn more about your village, just exactly how far from the shopping center are you in Manorville?
also if you don't own the property how are you able to sell your unit? And can you fix the inside and out side to your liking?

Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 15,265 times
my dad bought a home in greenwood village in 1986 - since that time many of the original contract agreements have been "modified" by the subsequent management/owner companies. an example is that originally because they own the land the management company blacktopped the driveway every other year, now it is the responsibility of the "homeowner", although it is not required and you can just let the driveway go to rot and ruin. Another rule is that the maintenance payments will change when the title changes, not all owners disclose this to the potential buyer. Beware!!!

one of the posts mentioned snow removal. Even when my dad was disabled with Parkinson's, and I was "on the list" for snow removal, in order to get him out of the house, I would have to call every time to get the driveway cleared so I could get him to the physical therapy session or a doctor's appt, etc. When I called (the management) to ask how to keep this from being an ongoing issue, I was told I needed a doctors Rx, which I provided. the problem persisted and then the response from management was to stand outside the house and tell the guy to clear my driveway. Taking care of dad by myself (24/7) did not leave me a lot of time to stand and look out the window to see when they were there to clear the snow for the woman who lived in florida during the winter or the deceased man next door, so oh well.

when my mother asked about snow removal she was told that she had to be on a list of people receiving dialysis.

when posts mention how low the taxes are, and that this offsets the maintenance they do not include two items, which are that anything that has to be repaired on your home (structure) is your responsibility and cost, and that the maintenance goes up every year by at least 3-4% sometimes higher and if you are on a fixed income this (down the road) could become an issue, so don't let the initial purchase price be your only consideration.

My father at the end of his life called Greenwood Village "His Foley", since he felt that the original agreements had NOT been kept. Daddy was the Homeowners Association President for about 10 years. He eventually became disgusted with the politics and rewriting of the rules and stopped participating in any meetings.

As far as the landscaping, I know of a number of people that have either bought mature plants or patiently waited for young plants to grow. then one fine day one of the landscapers comes along and cuts down everything to a nub. You can go to the office and vent, but they will only say they are sorry and it won't happen again and in a few years everything will grow back. they do not replace/repair damage that the landscapers that they hire have done. So good luck with that.

Bottom line some people love it here, some people feel trapped and hate it. Buyer beware and know what it is you are getting into. Please look closely and make sure you can be happy and not have the regret that my father and so many others have had.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:09 PM

14 posts, read 23,390 times
I appreciate the honesty, Coleen Rudden, I was looking into this community and now have second thoughts. I live full-time in Florida, formerly from Long Island, and have been considering getting an inexpensive abode in Suffolk County since my son lives there and I could come up for six months during the summer. For $900+ maintenance and other expenses, I think I will just rent an apartment instead.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:10 PM

7 posts, read 19,091 times
55 and up, most units are pretty small and they all have electric heat. A fine community and Manorville is nice if being in the middle of nowhere is your gig. Very rural. Closest "rea" town where you'd find all your big box stores etc is Riverhead about 10/15 minutes to the east.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 9,514 times
Default 2016 better

We moved into Greenwood Village a little over two years ago and thought it would be a very temporary move. We were disappointed at that time with the state of the general maintenance and upkeep. It has gradually gotten better and this year saw lots of improvements with a great new gym, a new craft room (I just saw it yesterday for the first time), a nice job landscaping a path around the pond, new miniature golf area, upgraded bocce courts etc. etc. The biggest improvement was that a lot of the broken street lighting was fixed. There are still some mishaps with the grounds crews snowplowing mailboxes or weed-wacking siding, and stuff that you can grumble and complain about, but on the whole the land-lease deal makes retirement living much more affordable. We live in one of the more expensive units (over 100K) with a wider floor plan and a full basement, but there are smaller units here for less than half that price. Even though we really only use the gym and walk the grounds, it is clear that the maintenance fee is really a good deal for the older residents who attend the classes and social gatherings and use the various shuttles. We would still like to relocate further west to be closer to family in Nassau County; however with the recent improvements here, we are no longer in such a hurry to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island