Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 12:39 PM

11 posts, read 22,934 times

Advertisements

Tell me about Huntington Schools and where to live and where not to live? Which schools in Huntington are the better/good schools? Looking for a house probably up to about $675K with good schools, good neighborhood, close to LIRR if possible. Also, any info on Greenlawn would be great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:16 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,583 times
You might look at Cold Spring Hills which is in the South Huntington School district. It is a lot like Cold Spring Harbor and the train ride from there to the city is about 53 minutes vs about an hour for the Huntington station.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:20 PM

Thanks, we saw a listing we liked in Cold Spring Hills but not a whole lot.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:22 PM

Stupid question but do you take Cold Spring Harbor train into Penn for LIRR?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Not a stupid question - yes, CSH train goes into Penn, as do all of the LIRR trains.

My suggestion, if you get lucky with price and what's up on the market, is to take a look at Midland Street in Huntington. It's at the western end of the Village (Walter would say "hamlet" - he's educating me), still part of Huntington, I believe, but if you check the tax bill and the school lines, I think some if not all of it falls in the Cold Spring Harbor SD. Well worth the money I believe.

Basically, any house north of 25A but south of Lloyd Harbor will put you about 5 - 10 minutes away from the LIRR station up in Huntington Station. My other suggestion would be not to live near the RR station. Check out other threads on this site regarding the RR station area.

Again, more threads to check here about Greenlawn - there are some areas to stay away from. But their schools are rated fairly well - probably better than School District 3 in Huntington.

If it were me looking for a good school district, I'd aim for the top and try and find a house on the fringes of the CSH school district. Top district, really caters to the kids, most people living in CSH have big $ and spend, spend, spend on the students in the schools so they have extra extra curriculars. Kind of a private school feel. The kids get a good education - better than Greenlawn, Huntington and South Huntington.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:41 PM

175 posts, read 657,506 times
For that money I would stay away from Cold Spring Harbor Schools, you aren't going to get anything for under $1 mil. I own a house here in that price range and quite frankly even for that money I get an inferiority complex about it sometimes compared to my neighbors and kids friends.

Harborfields (SD 6) is your best bet. It's one of the top 5 districts in Suffolk. You would be able to get something nice for your money. Parts of Huntington, Greenlawn and Centerport are in Harborfields.

Next choice would be Elwood, another very good district. Parts of Huntington, Greenlawn and East Northport are in Elwood.

Huntington and South Huntington School Districts are definitely considered a pretty big step behind those two.

I would check out the parts of Huntington that are in Harborfields or pretty much any of Greenlawn as long as it's in Harborfields/Elwood. (The north part closer to the train is in Harborfields)

Good luck

Old 08-22-2008, 07:02 AM

Thank you. My fiances cousin lives in Centerport and her kids go to Harborfields. The towns all intertwine so much it's hard for me to understand. Coming from NJ it's not like that, each school is in each town and there is no overlap. I'll check into Elwood too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island