Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,026,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
Most LI folks are living above their means, that is why they are so angry!! Ever notice that the average speed limit on the LIE is about 80? If you go 65 (which is way above the 55 speed limit) you are run off the road and cussed out. Everyone rides aggressively and they are angry. Angry about the recession and the costly huge home they purchased in the earlier 2000's when they knew deep down they could not afford it. I used to tell my husband, wow, these folks must make some income to purchase these homes and then CRASH!! This is why we are in the mess we are. Most folks on LI do not have an exceptionally high income, just average, but they do not spend like they are average. I have lived here since 1966, but the first chance I have, I will leave. I do not believe my teenaged child will ever be able to call LI home, and that is ok, there seriously are much better places to live. We are overcrowded and overcharged(and have very rocky beaches) The salaries on LI are not that high either, considering how expensive it is to live here. I wonder every day why more people come here to live.
They are looking for utopia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,590,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaselvis View Post
forget long island ...with a whole world out there why would anyone choose longisland..i was born and raised here im 44 and cant wait to get my family out of here...im moving to texas...goodby longisland...
Someone has their head on straight.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,590,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I like to be around cultured people, and that's why I don't think I'd ever fit in in Texas.
Just the opposite...you wouldn't fit in because your ignorant and don't realize it.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:52 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,026,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Just the opposite...you wouldn't fit in because your ignorant and don't realize it.
Nah...it's all about the "entitlement factor" - ask any NYC/NYS/LIRR/MTA employee - we deserve this, we deserve that - we put out fires, we police the laws , we move NY, we...we...wee.....wee.....yada,yada,yada

Right now, schools out, so they are either at the beach or down in Texas on vacation..

Old 07-07-2010, 12:13 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,575,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
Most LI folks are living above their means, that is why they are so angry!! Ever notice that the average speed limit on the LIE is about 80? If you go 65 (which is way above the 55 speed limit) you are run off the road and cussed out. Everyone rides aggressively and they are angry. Angry about the recession and the costly huge home they purchased in the earlier 2000's when they knew deep down they could not afford it. I used to tell my husband, wow, these folks must make some income to purchase these homes and then CRASH!! This is why we are in the mess we are. Most folks on LI do not have an exceptionally high income, just average, but they do not spend like they are average. I have lived here since 1966, but the first chance I have, I will leave. I do not believe my teenaged child will ever be able to call LI home, and that is ok, there seriously are much better places to live. We are overcrowded and overcharged(and have very rocky beaches) The salaries on LI are not that high either, considering how expensive it is to live here. I wonder every day why more people come here to live.
That's why I left!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,181,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
That slap down made my head spin!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM

581 posts, read 1,247,562 times
Is it Long Island that is expensive or the entire NY?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:46 AM

456 posts, read 1,126,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
Is it Long Island that is expensive or the entire NY?
LI, NYC, Westchester...upstate NY is very different. If you want to live on LI you need a combined income of around 100k to live in a decent area. If you want to live in a not as convenient area, you can still find houses for 150k in areas like Sound Beach, Shirley, Mastic, etc.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:56 PM

581 posts, read 1,247,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
LI, NYC, Westchester...upstate NY is very different. If you want to live on LI you need a combined income of around 100k to live in a decent area. If you want to live in a not as convenient area, you can still find houses for 150k in areas like Sound Beach, Shirley, Mastic, etc.
Exactly. To me, it is more expensive in NYC because you rarely see anyone asking about purchasing house on that site of the site.

houses are more expensive

car insurance more expensive

city tax

pretty much every utilities are more expensive

The only thing that cost a lot on LI is tax on homes.

I see houses in OK areas for less than 200k or around 250k. You rarely see a house in NYC for less than 300k with any sort of decency to it.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:20 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,789,188 times
In New York State, according to per capita income and housing prices, two main factors for determining "true" wealth not "disposable" income. The wealthiest counties in order are Manhattan, Westchester, Nassau and Rockland about even (they switch year to year), Putnam and finally Suffolk. I consider "upstate" anything north of Orange and Dutchess county because of their hourly railroad stops to New York via Metro-North. However, most people consider anything north of the Bronx as being "upstate." So upstate is just as, if not more expensive to live as Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island