Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:19 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,420 times

Advertisements

I have been paying $30/week to have my 1/4 acre cut and edged. This includes any necessary weed control/pesticides. Fertilizer treatments are extra and total $120 for the season ($30 x 4 applications). Trimming the bushes and spring/fall cleanups are extra. Trimming usually costs $150 - $200 depending on what we ask them to do and cleanups are usually $250 if I recall correctly. I have been using the same service for a few years - they are "OK" but I don't think they are great. I am not sure if I would have better luck with a different service - overall my lawn usually looks pretty good compared to my neighbors. I just have never really priced out different services and just kept using the same landscaper that the previous owners used.

So tell me folks, am I paying a fair price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
First and foremost...make sure your landscaper is using legal workers!
Ppl who use landscapers who use illegal day laborers contribute to LI's problems.

The "problem" is EVERY LONG ISLAND COMPANY, uses illegal workers of ALL "types" and nationalities.

This locality's economy, is predicated on it.

Basically, you have to "weed" through which ones are personally not suited to you, and to the others, show 'em the boot !

Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Boy, I wouldn't complain if I were you. Our's charges $100+ a mow! I guess we're getting our own mower this year.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
I have been paying $30/week to have my 1/4 acre cut and edged. This includes any necessary weed control/pesticides. Fertilizer treatments are extra and total $120 for the season ($30 x 4 applications). Trimming the bushes and spring/fall cleanups are extra. Trimming usually costs $150 - $200 depending on what we ask them to do and cleanups are usually $250 if I recall correctly. I have been using the same service for a few years - they are "OK" but I don't think they are great. I am not sure if I would have better luck with a different service - overall my lawn usually looks pretty good compared to my neighbors. I just have never really priced out different services and just kept using the same landscaper that the previous owners used.

So tell me folks, am I paying a fair price?
Definitely a fair price!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM

157 posts, read 458,080 times
Honestly, there is no "set" price. Alot of it has to do more with percieved value. If you like their work, and they are reliable... and you can afford the price, then it is fair. If you do not like their work, or they are unreliable or you can not afford the price... then it is not good.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I have the same deal Chrisk327...Why would anyone pay for lawn services? I love getting out and putting around for an hour on a saturday morning. Its good exercise and saves money.
Exactly. I wish more people did so I could have some more breathing room on the buses when the warmer weather comes.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:26 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,946 times
I pay $25 weekly which covers mowing, edging, general trimming and tilling the soil. Everything else I do (cleanups, leaf removal, trimming large buses and fertilize is extra). I've had the same guy for about 8 years.

With the economy in the crapper, you may see a reduction in prices as more people cut their own lawns to save money.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM

47 posts, read 259,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Who knew that landscaping costs would rile up such a rat's nest. This board seems to be filled with anti-immigration nuts recently and if the topic can encompass that issue in some tangential way, then the usual suspects come out of the woodwork to warn against those damn dirty illegals. Or... those damn dirty adults. Seems that bitterness toward one group is a good indicator of bitterness to all.

How does the fastidious homeowner go about ensuring that those damn dirty illegals aren't mowing MY lawn? What is sufficient due diligence for such a task? It is enough to just ask the office? Well, what if they lie to me? Certainly an operation willing to bend the rules is willing to lie, too, especially if they're employing those damn dirty illegals. Well, then what? Do I ask for copies of all of their employee social security numbers? Copies of their green cards? Pretty sure I'm not going to get that information (in fact, it's illegal for the company to turn it over to me). Uh oh I hear a lawnmower firing up right now, better run out there and demand proof of citizenship before he sues me.

As for that other nonsense, my wife and I work long hours and don't have children of sufficient age to conscript into manual labor in the yard. I enjoying spending what little spare time I have doing things that have far more value than pushing a lawnmower around.
Just as I've said before, the number one reason people on Long Island pay some little person to do their chores is SNOB APPEAL.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:55 PM

76 posts, read 179,507 times
First time poster here, just had to share my thoughts on this one. I am a college age kid, so I don't know the joys of Long Island homeownership yet, but I hope to one day.
I have to agree with you folks that are extolling the virtues of doing one's own landscaping/housework. I do not mean to brag or come off as snotty, but my family is in a very good financial situation - even with respect to the incomes that other LI'ers are pulling in. My Dad is a higher up at a very well known corporation in the City and worked very long and hard to get where he is today.
That said, my family does not hemorrhage money like everyone else on this island seems to. We did not move into a McMansion in Huntington the moment my dad started making a buck or two (We still live in the Crappy Levitt part of StonyBrook). We don't - and never have - owned any new cars. We don't go on expensive vacations. And, most importantly, we don't waste money on having Jose from Tijuana come and mow our lawn.
Call me crazy, but just because you have the money to afford something doesn't mean you should get it. My dad takes a train to the City that leaves before dawn and gets home well after dark each day. He works his ass off so he can afford the important things - like sending his kids to Catholic Schools, putting high quality food on the table, donating to the countless charities in need. I'm sure he's tired as hell on the weekends, but that doesn't stop our family from pitching in and doing the yardwork on Saturdays and Sundays - this is some of the only time we spend together and we are saving some money.
Maybe if people took a step back from the materialism and blatant extravagence that seems to run rampant on Long Island, they would actually find that they could SAVE some money - What a Novel Idea!!! It's because of saving and living well below their means that my parents will be able to afford a family summer house in the Hamptons after I graduate this May.

Bottom Line: Just because you make a buck or two doesn't mean you should just go and blow it in a New York minute. We would all be better off we saved a little.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaFish View Post
my parents will be able to afford a family summer house in the Hamptons after I graduate this May.
If that purchase doesn't fall under the category of "materialism and blatant extravagence" what does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island