Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:44 AM

10 posts, read 99,239 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by brunette-T
we checked the BBB, found a local chimney service Chimney King, paid $89 for our wood burning chimney and the gas burner chimney to be cleaned. they were here all of a 1/2 an hour or so and complimented how well maintained our chimney's were.

From what I know of this company they are very reputable, I have never worked for them but I have heard good things about them, I have even seen some of their estimates.
89 bucks for cleaning two flues is a really good price, though if a gas chimney was always gas and not previously oil for instance , there are no cracks or spalling of the liner , there is really nothing to clean there, it is usually just an inspection that generally does not take that long.
They still have to pull the pipes off the furnace, maybe vac out any little dust that might have accumulated over 15years

Unless your gas heater is burning the fuel incorrectly or unless it used to be an oil furnace, there should be no carbon built up whatsoever.

depending on what type of wood stove it is , they usually will not take that long to clean.
A wood stove insert would take about a 1/2 hour just to pull out, then you need to clean all in there and then re-install.
A free standing wood stove is a quick sweep "USUALLY"
FYI for anyone cleaning the fireplace this year . . .
MAKE SURE THE CHIMNEY GUY IS PULLING THAT DAMPER OUT AND CLEANING THE SMOKE SHELF AND SMOKE CHAMBER !
Please, unless they do that , they really only swept the flue and pushed all of that debris right down behind the damper area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,299 times
Anthony,

We took out the damper/smoke shelf to clean it - a bird was on the shelf/damper - having a problem putting it back in place. We have a notched rod with cotter pin but cannot position the damper/shelf back in place. Help. Thanks

Old 08-14-2013, 04:54 PM

7 posts, read 15,356 times
I agree that a lot of the chimney cleaners in Long Island are a rip-off, because between my own property and family members or friends of mine that have had their chimney cleaned or roofing services, we've all shared our experiences and having used several of them, I really like these guys called Allied Chimney Cleaning Long Island. I'm not sure if that's their formal name but that's how I first found them, and they always have some sort of promotion going on with a special discount on Long Island chimney cleaning, as well as the 5 boroughs which I believe they also service. My home is in Suffolk County, but I also have a cousin in Nassau County who used them as well and they charge the same price for both counties, which I notice some other companies charge more for Nassau for what ever reason. But in regards to my experience with my home chimney cleaning long island I was happy with the work and quality of work, and ultimately the price, which for my was just over $30 which in my opinion is pretty darn good. They also had a special for $59 for a chimney cap hardware and installation, which is also much lower than other companies I or someone I know have used. The owner (I forget if his name is Mike or Matt) is very nice and was on the jobsite. He told me he's always on the job site, and that's always a good sign with service type businesses, because the owner being there usually means the crew will do their best work, as will the owner. Anyway, that's my recommendation. Hopefully this helps, but just make sure to do your own research and ask around for pricing also. Good luck.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:11 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
fireplace as a source of heat? I've heard that it doesn't do much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island