Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 AM

53 posts, read 659,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
Long Island teachers do not make as much as they deserve. I don't know if it is public knowledge or not because it is a union contract.

I doubt most places of employment post employees wages, why should school districts???

Teachers deserve every penny. I work in the city and I wanted to campare my salary with a local long island school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 AM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
I work in the city and I wanted to campare my salary with a local long island school district.

You will see that they fall somewhere in the low middle. However, NYC teachers pay nothing for health care benefits which adds quite a lot to their salary and that our pensions (I am a retired NYC teacher) are somewhat better.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-09-2008, 11:31 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,785 times
Default City Teacher Salary Schedules are easily obtained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawoman4368 View Post
Teachers deserve every penny. I work in the city and I wanted to campare my salary with a local long island school district.
If you want to know what city teachers make just go to The United Federation of Teachers - A Union of Professionals

Old 10-09-2008, 12:42 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Long Island teachers want to keep it a secret.

They don't want the public to know how much they make.

If the public did know, there would be hell to pay.

The public already knows, and it's easy to see because there are hundreds of people moaning about their salaries, as well as cops, daily, on local message boards,

Teachers are well paid, but what people need to remember is that a masters degree is required for this line of work..it's not like a Suffolk or Nassau Police Officer, who makes more than a teacher, has just as much time off, and retires earlier, yet only needs a high school education.

Compare what a masters degree in business or finance or engineering will get you in terms of salary, and you will realize that teaching is fairly compensated on LI. If you want to pay people less, maybe you should lessen the requirements? Do you expect someone to get a masters degree and make $35K a year in an area where rent is $1200 a month?

Old 10-09-2008, 01:57 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,785 times
Default Please! Don't Compre Police to Teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The public already knows, and it's easy to see because there are hundreds of people moaning about their salaries, as well as cops, daily, on local message boards,

Teachers are well paid, but what people need to remember is that a masters degree is required for this line of work..it's not like a Suffolk or Nassau Police Officer, who makes more than a teacher, has just as much time off, and retires earlier, yet only needs a high school education.

Compare what a masters degree in business or finance or engineering will get you in terms of salary, and you will realize that teaching is fairly compensated on LI. If you want to pay people less, maybe you should lessen the requirements? Do you expect someone to get a masters degree and make $35K a year in an area where rent is $1200 a month?

Lets see.

A police office risks his/her life every day he/she puts on the uniform. In no way does a teacher face life and death issues on a regular basis that a police officer does.

As far as getting a masters to be a teacher, it is all B.S. Any person with a pulse and a pencil can get a masters in education. There are no entry tests to get into a "school of education." The LAST and ATSW tests that teachers do need to pass are a joke. The requirements to become a teacher are an insult to the actual qualified teachers out there.

In no way does having a masters in education compare at all to having a MD degree, CPA license, a Law degree, an MBA or a Masters in a field like engineering or other practical sciences.

Would Long Island school districts be able to pay less and still attract qualified teachers? The answer is a definitive YES. If the choice is between teaching in some inner city school or a pleasant suburban school (even for less money) I'd bet the teacher candidates would still be lining up for the suburban school jobs.

I don't know why the school districts keep giving the teachers raises out here. They should offer a pay cut. I mean what are the teachers going to do? Threaten to go teach in NYC - DOUBT IT.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Default Teachers are not the sole cause of high taxes on LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Teachers are well paid, but what people need to remember is that a masters degree is required for this line of work
Sadly, there are many positions that require master's degrees that do not make anywhere near the equivalent of an engineer, for example. Librarians and certified social workers come to mind. Then there are master's degrees where people find it hard to get jobs. History and Art come to mind. Just the virtue of having a master's degree does not and should not guarantee you are "set for life" when it comes to salaries.

That being said, I think there is too much focus on teacher salaries on Long Island when placing blame for the high taxes. If teachers are paid above average wages, we have the pick of the litter, not people who "can't do, so they teach." The teachers are the ones with the children all day, guiding them. I was raised on LI and I will say that I had several teachers who were an inspiration to me and who also looked out for me in ways that did not garner them extra pay. For example, I had an english teacher who went out of her way to correspond with me during the summer. I think good teachers are worth it.

I place the blame on the multiple fiefdoms of school districts and the school superintendents and administrators that PAY THEMSELVES LIKE ROCK STARS. If you have to recreate an entire school district bureaucracy every few miles and it is staffed with superintendents and administrators who make on average over $200K a year, of course the taxes are going to be high.

That is a good reason for consolidation of school districts. However, it is a double-edged sword. Many people, while they do not like the high taxes, realize that the rating of their school district favorably or unfavorably affects their property values. So, if for example, there was a push to consolidate a very highly rated school district with others that were not very well rated, I could see those in the highly rated school district protesting against it, even if it would lower their taxes.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,832 times
If you want to know what Long Island school district salaries are go to longislandschools.com

Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times
How come that the parochial school teachers make about 1/2 what a public school teacher makes. But yet the children are learning, and doing better in their tests??

What are the public schools doing wrong that their children cannot do better?? How come in a 8th grade graduating class, only 53% of children can pass??

There is something wrong here. I know its not the op's question, but it gives food for thought.

d

Old 10-10-2008, 05:44 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,545,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
How come that the parochial school teachers make about 1/2 what a public school teacher makes. But yet the children are learning, and doing better in their tests??

What are the public schools doing wrong that their children cannot do better?? How come in a 8th grade graduating class, only 53% of children can pass??

There is something wrong here. I know its not the op's question, but it gives food for thought.

d
Well, thats easy to answer, parochial schools can be selective. If a kid needs special services, will they be in parochial school? No, they are in public.

What about just bad and lazy kids....well they tend to get kicked out of parochial schools and go to public.

Most, not all, parochial school kids come from very stable families who spened alot of time and money in educating their kids. They support the teachers, not dismiss them.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:15 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
They should offer a pay cut. I mean what are the teachers going to do? Threaten to go teach in NYC - DOUBT IT.
Quit and leave. Because you can't take a job that doesn't pay enough for you to live on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island