Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times

Advertisements

Well, we see the emotional knee jerk response that is common amongst many Long Islanders. I understand..I pay taxes here too, but the first instinct of many is to go after teachers, as they are the most visible due to property taxes.

The number of police killed in the line of duty in Nassau and Suffolk County is infinitesimal compared to truly dangerous areas, and is usually the result of traffic accidents, not being targeted by felons. So, saying that police should be paid more here because of the danger just doesn't hold water on Long Island.

I wonder how many of the people saying how easy a Masters in Education is to achieve even graduated college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAview View Post
If you want to know what Long Island school district salaries are go to longislandschools.com
I don't see all the salaries on this website. All I see are a list of the salaries of positions making $100,000 a year or more?

Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 PM

175 posts, read 657,585 times
GOOD teachers aren't overpaid. The problem is that pay is strictly based on experience and education level and not performance. So the average to bad teacher is paid the same way as the good to great teacher. The idea should be to pay this much (if not more) to the teachers that are having an impact and pay less (if not fire) the teachers that are not having an impact.

The other thing you have to remember is that you need to tack on at least 15% to these salaries to make up for the insane time off compared to other professions and another 20-30% to make up for the benefits that the teachers get. A teacher making $100,000 is basically like a regular joe who doesn't get the summer off and isn't going to retire at half pay and health benefits for like making $150,000.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:19 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
How come that the parochial school teachers make about 1/2 what a public school teacher makes. But yet the children are learning, and doing better in their tests??

What are the public schools doing wrong that their children cannot do better?? How come in a 8th grade graduating class, only 53% of children can pass??

There is something wrong here. I know its not the op's question, but it gives food for thought.

d
Private schools can have actual consequences for students actions such as detention, and even expulsion. Public schools do not have detention, many don't have in-school suspension, and it is nearly impossible to expel a student even if that student has assaulted another student or a teacher.

That's why private schools can do so well with so much less money. They can get rid of the unwanted, and get the rest in line. In addition, most parents who send their children to private schools have a vested interest and involvement in their children's education - which is not to disparage the parents of public school students, some are very involved but some are not.

As a public school teacher in Brooklyn, I have had two truant students return to school this week simply because ACS got involved. The students have already told me that they have no interest in school and are only going to come enough to keep ACS from putting them in foster care. How sad is that!? I did my level best to encourage these students to open their mind at least to the possibility of learning. When I tried to call the homes, the numbers were disconnected. This is not how all of my students are, but its not a rarity either. The fact is, there is a huge difference between public and private schools and the teachers' salaries have less to do with the success rate than the background of the students do.

Last edited by KarenBo; 10-10-2008 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-10-2008, 06:19 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
How come that the parochial school teachers make about 1/2 what a public school teacher makes. But yet the children are learning, and doing better in their tests??

What are the public schools doing wrong that their children cannot do better?? How come in a 8th grade graduating class, only 53% of children can pass??

There is something wrong here. I know its not the op's question, but it gives food for thought.

d
Not only can parochial schools be selective about who they take in, most of those kids come from families that value and care about education (since they are willing to pay for tuition). The same cannot be said for many public school students. I am a product of Catholic education and I am a LI public school teacher. I can speak from my experience that the caliber of students in private school is quite a bit different than in public education. In public school, mediocre is accepted, while in Catholic school, students are expected to strive for excellence. Also, Catholic schools can actually discipline students and eliminate those that interfere with the learning experience of others.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:33 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Lets see.

A police office risks his/her life every day he/she puts on the uniform. In no way does a teacher face life and death issues on a regular basis that a police officer does.

As far as getting a masters to be a teacher, it is all B.S. Any person with a pulse and a pencil can get a masters in education. There are no entry tests to get into a "school of education." The LAST and ATSW tests that teachers do need to pass are a joke. The requirements to become a teacher are an insult to the actual qualified teachers out there.

In no way does having a masters in education compare at all to having a MD degree, CPA license, a Law degree, an MBA or a Masters in a field like engineering or other practical sciences.

Would Long Island school districts be able to pay less and still attract qualified teachers? The answer is a definitive YES. If the choice is between teaching in some inner city school or a pleasant suburban school (even for less money) I'd bet the teacher candidates would still be lining up for the suburban school jobs.

I don't know why the school districts keep giving the teachers raises out here. They should offer a pay cut. I mean what are the teachers going to do? Threaten to go teach in NYC - DOUBT IT.
You do need to take a test to get into graduate school (masters of education). I don't think a master's in education is a joke at all and it is one of the few jobs that make it a necessity. You are clearly someone who has no experience in these matters. As to your comment about teacher's taking a pay cut....do you realize how hard teacher's work throughout the year? Our day doesn't end with the last class, we have tons of take-home work and lesson planning. Teacher's deserve their salaries for without teachers, no other job would be possible. Who trains lawyers, doctors, CPA's, and police officers? Before you criticize, perhaps you should think about that.

As for police officers putting their life on the line....I respect cops, but Nassau and Suffolk cops have pretty cushy jobs. It's the NYPD that have it rough. Perhaps cops should take a pay cut too. Where does it end? I guess people won't be happy unless teachers are at the poverty line.

Maybe one reason why long island is considered such a desirable place to live is because of the many superior school districts. Without paying quality teachers as much as they do, school districts would not be considred as great as they wouldn't attract better teachers. This would lower property values and make homes worth even less when standardized test scores fall. It is in an areas best interest to be competitive in teacher salaries if they want true quality professionals.

Saving a little in taxes could adversely affect the value of your home.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:33 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well, we see the emotional knee jerk response that is common amongst many Long Islanders. I understand..I pay taxes here too, but the first instinct of many is to go after teachers, as they are the most visible due to property taxes.

The number of police killed in the line of duty in Nassau and Suffolk County is infinitesimal compared to truly dangerous areas, and is usually the result of traffic accidents, not being targeted by felons. So, saying that police should be paid more here because of the danger just doesn't hold water on Long Island.

I wonder how many of the people saying how easy a Masters in Education is to achieve even graduated college?
Let's not go down this road again. They're talking teachers, not cops. Don't let your distaste for police compensation start another furball that'll get this thread shut down, too.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:36 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
You do need to take a test to get into graduate school (masters of education). I don't think a master's in education is a joke at all and it is one of the few jobs that make it a necessity. You are clearly someone who has no experience in these matters. As to your comment about teacher's taking a pay cut....do you realize how hard teacher's work throughout the year? Our day doesn't end with the last class, we have tons of take-home work and lesson planning. Teacher's deserve their salaries for without teachers, no other job would be possible. Who trains lawyers, doctors, CPA's, and police officers? Before you criticize, perhaps you should think about that.

As for police officers putting their life on the line....I respect cops, but Nassau and Suffolk cops have pretty cushy jobs. It's the NYPD that have it rough. Perhaps cops should take a pay cut too. Where does it end? I guess people won't be happy unless teachers are at the poverty line.

Maybe one reason why long island is considered such a desirable place to live is because of the many superior school districts. Without paying quality teachers as much as they do, school districts would not be considred as great as they wouldn't attract better teachers. This would lower property values and make homes worth even less when standardized test scores fall. It is in an areas best interest to be competitive in teacher salaries if they want true quality professionals.

Saving a little in taxes could adversely affect the value of your home.
Same comment. This is about teachers, not cops.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,143,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawoman4368 View Post
Does anyone know how to find out school district salary schedules? Is this public knowledge?
Come on guys, The op is asking school district salaries. So is there a site?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:08 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Please try to keep this about the stated topic (teachers' salaries) . I know some of you have strong feelings about the police & their salaries, but that was another thread & look what happened there.

All I am saying is please try not to make provocative comments against the Nassau or Suffolk County Police here . Thanks.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island