Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2016, 11:19 AM

174 posts, read 181,654 times

Advertisements

Awesome thread! Ran into it unexpectedly. Grew up in East Islip and later moved to Medford. Anyone remember Levels on Route 112. Cruising Port Jeff, Bay Shore Farmers Market off of Sunrise HWY. Captain Bills the point at MT Sanai rd, great memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 03:02 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atariman View Post
Next door to the Broaster House in East Meadow was the Italian restaurant called Borelli's. Both places were excellent, 55 years ago. Borelli's moved to Miami I believe.
As of March Borelli's was still in business on Hempstead Turnpike.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:46 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinctwentyone View Post
Awesome thread! Ran into it unexpectedly. Grew up in East Islip and later moved to Medford. Anyone remember Levels on Route 112. Cruising Port Jeff, Bay Shore Farmers Market off of Sunrise HWY. Captain Bills the point at MT Sanai rd, great memories.
Levels -- was that a little south of 495 on the east side of 112?

Old 06-19-2016, 03:48 PM

92 posts, read 127,913 times
No it was north of LIE on the west side of 112

Old 06-19-2016, 10:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,869 times
Default Commack arena rocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDaveL View Post
I remember the Commack Arena. I never saw the Duck play (I'm too young for that) but remember my grandmother taking me to the flea market. There also used to be an RKO movie theater there where I stood in line w/ my father and younger brother when I was 6 years old to see STAR WARS when it first came out. Changed my life.

The other 2 movie (Empire & ROTJ) I saw at the theater on Montauk Highway in West Babylon
Saw the ducks play, and saw Styx and Aerosmith live there. Was disappointed when it was a flea market but now I'm nostalgic for even that....

Old 06-19-2016, 10:51 PM

Default Bay shore roller rink

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
The Bay Shore Roller Rink.......(still sitting there empty after god knows how many years).....whenever I hear "Say you Say Me" by Lionel Richie I think of holding some strange boys sweaty hand and skating around in circles....lol......Life was great back then..lol

What about the Islip Speedway........we used to go to the races when I was little with my family......they did away with it because the entire area was built up around it.....so the residents had racing cars in their backyard....

also way back when Chevy's was Hammerheads there was a little mom and pop ice cream shop.....we used to walk there since I grew up on the other side of sunrise hwy in west islip....

also there was a disco club in East Islip in the shopping center where
applebees is now right on sunrise hwy....it was called Escapes.....I saw
"Expose" there.....Come go with me...yadayyyaaa come go with me....Your taking me.....to the point of no return.....oh oh ohhhh

Ok.....now I've put myself in a time warp.......
Bay shore roller rink... Every Friday night... All the girls went religiously to perfect their moves and to flirt with Gene..the long haired flirt/player who rented ur skates😀 Rock ruled at school...disco ruled at the rink.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:55 PM

Default Mr softee ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroknot View Post
Every kid on the block out playing in the street. Mr. Softee and the Good Humor Man would come around and we'd all tell them to keep going - we wanted to wait for Bungalo Bar (Tony was the guy driving the truck in my neighborhood and he knew every kids name). Eating Marino's Italian ices with the little wooden spoon- the best part was at the bottom.

The Circus at Commack Arena.

Going to church at the Bay Shore Drive in becasue the new church wasn't built yet. We had listen to mass on the speaker that hung on the car window. Check the speaker before you park!

The orange wax harmonicas that turned into gum at halloween.

We called dodge ball "Bombardment" and played it every day at recess and sometimes in gym class with those red rubber recreation balls that were also great for kick ball.

We used to go to Charlie's Deli for all our candy needs (or Katrina if you lived on the west side of Brentwood Road). Then 7-11 opened up and they had a bigger selection. But we would never go there because the guy charged 2 cents tax on a 5 cent Big Buddy gum slab.

Parfaits and Flying Saucers at Carvel; those big chocolate chip cookies at the Cinderella Bakery.

Bohacks, Hills, A&P and Big Apple were the supermarkets.

"I call you out". Fights after school in back of the Prince of Peace Church (how ironic).

Every class went on field trips to the Rabbit Farm and the Carriage House.

And of course, that great fresh ink smell of a paper copy right off of the mimiograph machine.
Does anyone remember a mr. Softee truck or ANY ice cream truck that u could go inside. The rear passenger side had 2 or 3 metal steps and there was a tiny counter...

Old 06-20-2016, 05:20 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I remember when it only took 12 minutes to get to Sunrise Highway from Long Beach.
Now it takes like a half hour or more.
And that's not even in the summer.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
You know you're from Long Island when paying $15 to go the beach is totally normal

Old 06-20-2016, 07:51 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You know you're from Long Island when paying $15 to go the beach is totally normal
or show ID that you are from TOBY or TONH to get access to certain beaches or parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island