Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 10:52 AM

83 posts, read 381,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Jones beach salt water taffy

Zeppoli's

LI pizza, second to none.

Mr softee ice cream trucks

street hockey

late 70's early 80's NY Islander's
Ahhh... I can second each of these. I grew up rooting for the Isles (Potvin, Bossy, Smitty, Trots, et al) and playing street hockey for hours a day after school. For years it was a tradition to run out after school with my powerplay skates (Roller SKATES, NOT roller blades) slung over one shoulder, a couple of sticks in hand (you always needed a spare in case you broke a blade) and rode my bike to a friend's house to play until dark. Life was great rooting for the Islanders and hating the Rangers .. 1940 forever!!!

Mr. Softee rules!!

I worked at Jones Beach for a few summers.

Noone else seems to even know what a Zeppoli is outside of NY. I miss going to Italian Feasts and coming home with a bag of them... covered in powered sugar.. the grease soaking through the bag. Ahhh.. memories.

And I can add from experience... ther'es nowhere that has pizza anywhere near as good as that from the NY/NJ metro area. And yes, I'm quite partial to Long Island pizza (Tony's in Deer Park or Fra Amichi in Massapequa or any Umbertos).

Last edited by SoCalDaveL; 05-22-2008 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrantia View Post
Wasn't that where the Long Island Ducks hockey team played, back in the early/mid 1960s?

I seem to recall that during the 1980s the Commack Arena got turned into an indoor flea market.

The funny thing is that I was right in that area the other day (had to get something at the Linens & Things there that the locations closer to me didn't have in stock) and I can't remember if that shopping center is where the Arena used to be or not. "duh" Senility setting in, no doubt...
I remember the Commack Arena. I never saw the Duck play (I'm too young for that) but remember my grandmother taking me to the flea market. There also used to be an RKO movie theater there where I stood in line w/ my father and younger brother when I was 6 years old to see STAR WARS when it first came out. Changed my life.

The other 2 movie (Empire & ROTJ) I saw at the theater on Montauk Highway in West Babylon

Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Unless I missed it... I can't believe that I haven't seen anyone else use the phrase:

"Lawn Guyland"

not only the way we (those of us born & raised in LI) are accused of pronouncing it, but also likely the most common occupation for high school (or post high school) guys.

I found it funny when I came home from college over the summers and ran into guys I was friends with in High School. The typical conversation was,

Me: Hey, How are you man? What'cha up to?
Them: I'm great. Just started my own Lawncare business.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 17,129 times
Default More Memories (Bay Shore/Brentwood)

Every kid on the block out playing in the street. Mr. Softee and the Good Humor Man would come around and we'd all tell them to keep going - we wanted to wait for Bungalo Bar (Tony was the guy driving the truck in my neighborhood and he knew every kids name). Eating Marino's Italian ices with the little wooden spoon- the best part was at the bottom.

The Circus at Commack Arena.

Going to church at the Bay Shore Drive in becasue the new church wasn't built yet. We had listen to mass on the speaker that hung on the car window. Check the speaker before you park!

The orange wax harmonicas that turned into gum at halloween.

We called dodge ball "Bombardment" and played it every day at recess and sometimes in gym class with those red rubber recreation balls that were also great for kick ball.

We used to go to Charlie's Deli for all our candy needs (or Katrina if you lived on the west side of Brentwood Road). Then 7-11 opened up and they had a bigger selection. But we would never go there because the guy charged 2 cents tax on a 5 cent Big Buddy gum slab.

Parfaits and Flying Saucers at Carvel; those big chocolate chip cookies at the Cinderella Bakery.

Bohacks, Hills, A&P and Big Apple were the supermarkets.

"I call you out". Fights after school in back of the Prince of Peace Church (how ironic).

Every class went on field trips to the Rabbit Farm and the Carriage House.

And of course, that great fresh ink smell of a paper copy right off of the mimiograph machine.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
And of course, that great fresh ink smell of a paper copy right off of the mimiograph machine.
Fresh dittos! I remember the teacher passing them out. I was always toward the back of the class; but I knew they were fresh when the first child's face went headlong into the stack. I couldn't wait to bury my nose into one!

(And they wondered why kids would sniff glue! LOL)

Old 06-02-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroknot View Post
Every kid on the block out playing in the street. Mr. Softee and the Good Humor Man would come around and we'd all tell them to keep going - we wanted to wait for Bungalo Bar (Tony was the guy driving the truck in my neighborhood and he knew every kids name). Eating Marino's Italian ices with the little wooden spoon- the best part was at the bottom.
Marino's were the best. Scrape the sides until you had enough room to flip it over and then eat the iced syrup first. Cherry was always my favorite... then again, I think it was every kids favorite.

My wife & I (mostly her) opened an Italian Ice shop out here in Cali a couple of years ago (recently closed), but more like "Ralphs'" or "Rita's". It was a GREAT product, just not enough foot traffic to get people to come in. But we had alot of regulars who were originially from NY. Whenever I worked the store (which was rare since I have my own full time job) I'd get ex-NY'er some in and pick me out as "one of them" as soon as I started talking -- I still have that "lawn guyland" accent -- and quite often they'd bring up Marino's.

Such great stuff (and great memories)

Old 06-02-2008, 02:07 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times
Smile did anyone mention??

The Bay Shore Roller Rink.......(still sitting there empty after god knows how many years).....whenever I hear "Say you Say Me" by Lionel Richie I think of holding some strange boys sweaty hand and skating around in circles....lol......Life was great back then..lol

What about the Islip Speedway........we used to go to the races when I was little with my family......they did away with it because the entire area was built up around it.....so the residents had racing cars in their backyard....

also way back when Chevy's was Hammerheads there was a little mom and pop ice cream shop.....we used to walk there since I grew up on the other side of sunrise hwy in west islip....

also there was a disco club in East Islip in the shopping center where
applebees is now right on sunrise hwy....it was called Escapes.....I saw
"Expose" there.....Come go with me...yadayyyaaa come go with me....Your taking me.....to the point of no return.....oh oh ohhhh

Ok.....now I've put myself in a time warp.......

Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 AM

36 posts, read 120,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
The Bay Shore Roller Rink.......(still sitting there empty after god knows how many years).....whenever I hear "Say you Say Me" by Lionel Richie I think of holding some strange boys sweaty hand and skating around in circles....lol......Life was great back then..lol

What about the Islip Speedway........we used to go to the races when I was little with my family......they did away with it because the entire area was built up around it.....so the residents had racing cars in their backyard....

also way back when Chevy's was Hammerheads there was a little mom and pop ice cream shop.....we used to walk there since I grew up on the other side of sunrise hwy in west islip....

also there was a disco club in East Islip in the shopping center where
applebees is now right on sunrise hwy....it was called Escapes.....I saw
"Expose" there.....Come go with me...yadayyyaaa come go with me....Your taking me.....to the point of no return.....oh oh ohhhh

Ok.....now I've put myself in a time warp.......
OMG, the Bayshore Roller Rink...that just brought back memories...
Chevy's, the speedway...I remember that well. I'm still floored the Peter Pan Diner is still there just outside of Brightwaters...

Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 AM

8 posts, read 51,072 times
Default growing up in North Massapequa

I remember seeing Batman and Robin in the sixities at holiday park Shopping center. I remember just about everyone child in North Massapequa was abused if you grew up in the 50's or 60's with today laws we would all been in foster care??

Does anyone remember texas rangers in freeport - would love one right now

Yes my dad worked for grumman.

Went to plainedge, high southedge jh
Hung out at Hoilday park shopping center spent alot of time at stan's and pizza place. Remembert Grants! across the street was a little candy store before walbaums was built and if you went to Scwarting elementary school there was and old man the live in the schack betwwen the candy store and the school yard.
Everyone played handball against the walls of Picken elm school. Drank in tackapusha at the third log. 36 cents for a pint of port gallo wine. no problem buying booze or cigareetes in that day. Does anyone remember crazy roco the barber at the other shopping center wher baskins and robins was.

Last edited by onenana; 06-05-2008 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
My first year in Southedge was the last year the school was open - 76-77. They closed it, sold the land and slammed up a lot of houses.

The Baskin and Robbins shopping center is Calvert, if I remember correctly. I worked at the 5&10 and the owner would send me to get coffee for him at John's luncheonette.

Drinking at Tackapausha -- some things never change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island