Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 24,475 times

Advertisements

Clubs on Long Island--
Farmindale---CLOUD NINE

anyone remember Leone"s in Long Beach--- They had a great band "The Last Word" Recently found their album.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,673 times
Default Long Island of long ago

We went to Capri, then the Colony, then the Sands. Long Island was so underdeveloped when I grew up. Green Acres did not have a closed top. The candy stores had great comic books and toys. Big Top on Elmont Road had all the newest Nancy Drews. Long Island makes me think of Willoughby. It brings out a nostalgia that is very overpowering. What I would give for the sight of a Good Humor truck.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:51 PM

12 posts, read 68,280 times
Default ice cream

We still have Good Humor trucks. Granted, most of them are the larger kind that really look like the generic ice cream trucks. Occasionally I will see one of the smaller style, with the door to the freezer on the outside of the truck. Mr. Softy is still around up here too (Westchester). I remember the ice cream trucks coming around all the time. Now we're lucky if we see them once a week or so and always at dinner time. I miss Jahns and Farrells.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:35 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,154 times

Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM

42 posts, read 137,266 times
Wow! I'm really enjoying reading this thread. I haven't read it all, so this may have been mentioned already. Does anyone remember taking lessons in the morning at the Levittown Rink, skating all afternoon, then going next door to Jahn's with all your friends and ordering the Kitchen Sink? One spoon per friend, and one huge metal bowl of ice cream and whipped cream in the center of the table. That's how I celebrated my 12th through 15th birthdays. Nobody worried about germs back then.

I've been gone from the Island since 1993, but it will always be in my blood and in my memories. I grew up not too far from Matinecock Dairy, and started at Manetto Hill School when it was only one classroom. My Mom grew up in Bethpage, and she and my Dad graduated from Farmingdale High School.

We used to go see the chicks and the incubators at Farmingdale Aggie, then stop at Stern's Pickle Works on the way home. Every Friday night, we'd be at the 110 drive-in early and go on the rides until it got dark enough for the movie to start. Were there rides at all of the drive-ins?

Old 05-10-2008, 04:09 PM

42 posts, read 137,266 times
Oh, I should have read this last page before I posted. I see others remember Jahn's, too.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:42 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,753 times
Does anyone remember the Bungelow Bar truck? It had what looked like a brick roof and chimney.
The Hokey-Pokey truck was green and specialized in Italian Ices.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:59 PM

92 posts, read 476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjorieManhattan View Post
We went to Capri, then the Colony, then the Sands. Long Island was so underdeveloped when I grew up. Green Acres did not have a closed top. The candy stores had great comic books and toys. Big Top on Elmont Road had all the newest Nancy Drews. Long Island makes me think of Willoughby. It brings out a nostalgia that is very overpowering. What I would give for the sight of a Good Humor truck.
Did you live in Elmont? Almost our whole block in Elmont had a cabana at Capri and don't forget El Patio, the exclusive beach club.
My mom, many years ago worked at the Cardinal Shop in Green Acres and we would spend most of the day (on Saturday) at the mall. We actually went shopping from store to store back then. We did not hang out. There was a candy store on Dutch Broadway called "Laura's" where all the kids went for the bubble gum cigarettes and cigars. Also had all the Patsy and Heady and Millie the Model comic books all the girls read. In Houston, no one knows what a candy store or diner is. A different world living here and trying to explain things to my kids.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:00 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Also had all the Patsy and Heady and Millie the Model comic books all the girls read. In Houston, no one knows what a candy store is .

omg, I had totally forgotten about Patsy and Heddy and Millie comics. Comics were only 10 cents then. I used to trade them with a boy up the street. We both had wagons full of them. All of these would be worth a fortune now. If we had only known.
No CANDY STORES ?!?!? ....... they were a highlight of my childhood. A whole bag of candy for a quarter.....

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-11-2008, 05:39 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,753 times
I had a bunch of Patsy and Heddy and Millie the Model Comic Books.
Patsy had the red hair if I remember.
Had the Nancy and Sluggo ones, Archie... as a matter of fact I have a small Nancy and Sluggo lunch box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island