Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 04:47 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,143,652 times

Advertisements

Remember it? I played the Commack Arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 05:11 PM

410 posts, read 1,675,914 times
Was the Commack Arena the place where the Nets first played before the Nassau Col. was built? Anyone remember?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:33 AM

44 posts, read 234,180 times
They played there for a few years, then moved to the Island Garden in West Hempstead before they moved to the Coliseum.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 PM

2 posts, read 15,209 times
Default Ed's Aquarium

I do remember Ed's Aquarium - in fact, I worked there for a short period of time. I was in my late teens, early '20s and and worked part time for a few months. I loved that store.

Wendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
Not only Jack In The Box, but the Big Steer too! Kleins... OMG, how could I forget Kleins, not to mention Alexanders (the "big" store in Roosefield Field once upon a time).

Anyone ever buy fish from Ed's Tropical Aquarium? (no, not for eating, unless you also had a piranha)

My mom had a part-time job in the dress department at the Mays in Levittown for years! Before that, she worked at Kress's in Hempstead (note: This was back in the 1950s, when Hempstead did not have the same demographics that it does today).

Speaking of the "five and ten"s... remember Kresge's, Kress, Woolworth's and -- oh no, I completely blanked out on the name of the other 5&10 ! Help me out on this, fellow Boomers...??

Old 10-24-2007, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 15,209 times
Default Matinecock Dairy Farm, Jolly Roger

Any people from Long Island who remember the Matinecock Dairy Farm in Plainview - it was a small store and had a drive through.

Also - the Jolly Roger Amusement Park in Levittown - my grandparents used to take me there. I remember the bumper cars and the organ

I now live in North Carolina, but have good memories of Long Island.

Wendy

Old 10-25-2007, 07:42 AM

169 posts, read 632,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyrose View Post
Any people from Long Island who remember the Matinecock Dairy Farm in Plainview - it was a small store and had a drive through.

Also - the Jolly Roger Amusement Park in Levittown - my grandparents used to take me there. I remember the bumper cars and the organ

I now live in North Carolina, but have good memories of Long Island.

Wendy
As a lifelong Long Islander, I've had a GREAT time reading through this entire thread!!!

Yes, I do remember the Matinecock Dairy Farm. Wasn't that the precursor of the later "Dairy Barn Stores"? At least the drive-through milk store concept was.

I grew up not far from "Jolly Roger's" and loved it both as a child (nagging my parents to take me there to ride the carousel and play skee-ball -- I was VERY GOOD at skee-ball ) and as a young teen.

Whatever did happen to the carousel that was at Jolly Roger's? Anyone know? Don't tell me it just got tossed into some dumpster...

Old 10-25-2007, 08:33 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,143,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyrose View Post
I do remember Ed's Aquarium - in fact, I worked there for a short period of time. I was in my late teens, early '20s and and worked part time for a few months. I loved that store.

Wendy
Wendy,
Where was Ed's located and when did it close? My friend's dad would take us up there and it was always fun watching the big fish getting fed. Why do I remember Ed's having Lava Lamps?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Wendy,
Where was Ed's located and when did it close? My friend's dad would take us up there and it was always fun watching the big fish getting fed. Why do I remember Ed's having Lava Lamps?
I remember Ed's Aquarium on Sunrise Highway in Valley Stream.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:27 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I remember Ed's Aquarium on Sunrise Highway in Valley Stream.
Oh yeah, I remember that too! We used to stop there sometimes when we went to Cooky's Steakhouse. Did a place like Cohen's Optical go in the old building?

Old 10-25-2007, 06:16 PM

56 posts, read 244,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Eppi is still around and wearing his green sneakers, George from US Blues is also !!!!

Birthday party for Val Little Buster's RIP Bass Player Wendsday night at The Moose Lodge in Glen Head (by RR station) Free food and really good live band, those guys always show up
Just out of HS I was a waitress at "My Father's Place" about 100 yrs ago. My favorite memories: flushing the drug tips down the toilet (I was a goodie goodie even then!), taking James Taylor an order of fries, 2am runs to China Town w/ Eppie squeezed into the backseat betw Belushi & Gilda Radner way before I ever knew who they were, Giving George Carlin a ride & quizzing him (& what do you do?)the day after he appeared on Johnny Carson and best of all playing the foil in the audience to Andy Kaufman (wasn't he from Great Neck?) It was alot of fun being 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island