Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 06:50 PM

278 posts, read 802,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Anbody remember the place where bands played called " Sundance" ? I forget where it was located though. I know Long Island for sure. From what i remember is that mostly Rock bands played there.

Remember the Long Island band --- Zebra? They actually still tour and recently put out a new CD.

Later
Another wow! My husband and I went on our first date at Sundance, and I still have Zebra's first album on VINYL!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 10:02 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times
There was a club in the Mayfair shopping center called Dimensions, but before that it was called something else and Twisted Sister used to play there does anyone remember the name of the club? Does anyone remember the Centereach movie theatre? or The fox movie theatre in East Setauket or Brent City?Hardees,Arbys and Aprils in Selden? Mayer Deck Hockey?Shoe repair in Red building in Selden? Dragon Island?Blake Auto Parts?Chicken Delight,mini golf behind McDonalds in Centereach,

Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default cooky's or was it Cookies?

Do you remember a restaurant by the name of " Cooky's "? Or was it Cookies?

I'm not sure if they had more then one location, but my parents took us to the one that was in the Walt Whitman Mall ( Huntington ). I cant remember much, except they had a decent salad bar with all you can eat cocktail shrimp!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:16 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,958 times
Cookies was so much fun! There is a Legal seafood there now. Yeah, another chain restaurant but it is good.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:42 AM

156 posts, read 710,921 times
As a former Long Islander, I have many fond memories, most which are no longer there. Here's my list of great places back then...
United Skates of America in East Meadow, Tropics bar in Levittown where anyone, any age could get in and drink, Dune Road in East Meadow that was Zachary's other nights, then transformed to Dune Road on Thursdays, great place, so much fun! I remember Spit, or Uncle Sams in Levittown too! Guess I went out a lot during that time...hee hee!!
But, the best place of all, was in Long Beach, called Chauncey's. Anyone out there remember that place? You basically walked out about 430am, full of beer on your clothes, shoes filthy dirty, but very very happy!!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 AM

i remember Cookys there was one in Stony Brook, and Huntington, does anyone remember the Nathans that stood alone (not in a food court) in Hicksville, near the Broadway Mall back than it was the Mid Island Shopping Center, The Nathans there had a deli in it where you could get a sandwich not just hot dogs! Do you remember flower time? then it was Franks now out of business! What about A&S?Gertz?

Old 02-21-2007, 08:26 AM

278 posts, read 802,405 times
There was a Cookies on Old Counry Road in Hicksville, my Dad loved that place (because of all the free shrimp)!

Old 02-21-2007, 08:36 AM

265 posts, read 1,548,205 times
I remember Cookys' too! Wow, I haven't thought about that place in years.

Here's a non-LI-but-close eatery "blast from the past": Anyone remember eating at an automat? My parents would sometimes take me into NYC and the big treat was going into the Horn & Hardart automat. I was fascinated by the whole concept. Lord only knows how long the food actually sat in those things, but who cared? The whole put-coin-in/revolving tray/door thing was so cool!

Anyway, back to LI: momix5, I used to take my son to Mayer's for deck hockey. He started out playing deck hockey, then roller hockey, then finally ice hockey. It was when Mayer's closed down that he made the switch to RH.

As far as the Nathans in Hicksville, yes I do remember that one! It was directly in front of the Broadway Mall, wasn't it? I think there is a smaller chain-type Nathans (or was... haven't been that way in awhile) a short distance down the road, adjacent to Fortunoffs and the DMV... but not the same ambience as the old one. Wasn't there an arcade room toward the back of the old one?

lvmy3grls, you sound as if you're originally from the East Meadow/Levittown area; so am I. Do you remember "The Quiet Village"? It was right on Hempstead Tpke at the Wantagh Parkway during the late 60s and early 70s. It went through several incarnations after that, and I think even now is some kind of club/bar. But when it was "the Village" it had that whole Disney-kitschy Polynesian decor -- so great!

momix5, Flower Time (sorry, I never got used to calling it Franks!) closing down was a big loss to the area. So many of the independent nurseries have closed down now, it seems like Lowes and Home Depot are trying to take over the local plants market (I refuse to buy from them; there are a few independents left, otherwise I buy via mailorder).

Old 02-21-2007, 09:53 AM

overtaxed- by the way love your screen name! Yes there was an arcade in the back of the Nathans! i remember my Mom getting the chow mein yes chow mein on a bun at that Nathans, I remember the shrimp cocktails that came in little row boats! OMG what a simplier time! I feel that my children are missing out with none of that around! Anyone remember the OBI in Smithtown by St. John's Hospital!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,467 times
Default East Meadow NY

I also lived in East Meadow for a while and does anybody remember a " Record/cd store called " Uncle Phils" on Hempstead turnpike, it was in Levittown near the " Tri County" Flea market.

Is Tri County still there?

And i guess Uncle Phils is gone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island