Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2020, 08:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

My dad mentioned TSS yesterday & I knew exactly what he was talking about.

I think remembering TSS is the point @ when you know you’re old lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 10:02 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My dad mentioned TSS yesterday & I knew exactly what he was talking about.

I think remembering TSS is the point @ when you know you’re old lmao
I miss TSS.
I can remember my parents, as well as other customers, smoking in the store while shopping. I don’t think it was allowed, but people did anyway, and nobody really made an issue of it. Until the war on smoking kicked into high gear in the late 70's or early 80's.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:09 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
The Kitchen Sink at Jahn's was different from the one I just looked at on Krisch's web site. Jahn's KS never contained waffles (ugh) or fiery stuff (however, their Blue Blazer sundae was brought to the table with a liqueur-soaked sugar cube flaming, lol) and it was in a normal dish.

FYI, here's a web page from 2017 with pics of the Kitchen Sink served at the one surviving Jahn's which is in Queens. The ingredients are (and I do remember this being so from the one in East Meadow in the 1950s and 1960s):

It starts with two scoops of every flavor of ice cream Jahn's offers; Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Coffee, Butter Pecan, Cherry Vanilla, Pistachio Almond, Cookies & Cream, Vanilla Fudge, Chocolate Chip, Mint Chip, and Sherbet. On top of that they add fudge and caramel sauces, banana, pineapple and nuts, mountains of fresh whipped cream, and enough sprinkles and cherries to fill your heart's desire

Scoops, Sundaes, Sprinkles, and Shakes: Jahn's Family Restaurant and Ice Cream Parlor; Birthday Edition!

The Bizjournal site said this about Jahns in 2016:

Once, there were 30 outposts of Jahn’s Ice Cream Parlor, most of them in various parts of New York City. They've dwindled down to a single remaining restaurant in Queens, leaving the legacy of Jahn's to a pair of brothers who think that maybe the time is right to expand the brand.

Jahn’s was started by John Jahn in the Bronx in 1897 and was later run by three of his offspring’s. It was known for its massive Kitchen Sink sundae, easily shared by four to eight people. Nick Moukas, who co-owns the surviving Jahn’s with his brother, Peter, said his father acquired only the Jahn’s in Jackson Heights in 1970, which was franchised. About half of the Jahn’s at that time were franchised and half were company-owned. But starting in the late 1970s, most Jahn’s fell on hard times. Many Jahn’s closed because “times changed,” explains Moukas who is 51-years-old.

“When Jahn’s started ice-cream was a treat. Now there’s more competition--frozen yogurt, Carvel, Baskin Robbins, and ice cream sold in grocery stores,” he says. What enables Jahn’s in Jackson Heights to survive was that it didn’t stand pat. It made alterations to the menu, expanded its scope and adapted to modern tastes. Twenty-five years ago, Moukas’ dad made a major change that helped Jahn’s adapt. “He changed the menu into more of a diner than an ice-cream parlor,” he explains.
Wow, I just saw this, and I'm totally shocked.

Jahn's--and The Kitchen Sink--was a popular spot for many years in Fair Lawn, New Jersey.

I had no idea until today that there were others elsewhere. I bet most people who remember it wouldn't know that, either.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 708 times
Cheers was a rowdy musical hall. I saw a band named Crystal Ship which did good “Doors” music. They had good bouncers there to break up the ruckus.

Read more: [url]//www.city-data.com/forum/long-island/47032-you-know-youre-long-island-when-119.html[/url]

Old 11-02-2020, 03:20 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
You know you are from LI when you remember the ads for The Pines Motor Lodge in Westbury and the The Courtesy in Hempstead, both known for the quick turn over of rooms, Wink Wink!

Old 11-02-2020, 05:22 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You know you are from LI when you remember the ads for The Pines Motor Lodge in Westbury and the The Courtesy in Hempstead, both known for the quick turn over of rooms, Wink Wink!
I remember the pines commercials but not the other place. I used to pass the courtesy on my way to my old job in Hempstead.

Old 11-02-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I remember the pines commercials but not the other place. I used to pass the courtesy on my way to my old job in Hempstead.
A couple of friends worked at Kennedy’ airport and those two and the Jade East apparently were well know for the short stay rates they offered.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:42 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
The other night I was telling a friend born in Houston about the 1980s rock clubs down by the marshes, like Speaks and OBI West (I came from Nassau). Went on to mention the LI ritual of going to a diner after clubbing at 3 am, and confided the late nite meal was the best part of the evening.

My friend was a bartender years ago, and loves his fancy cocktails. I told him LI has more of a working class vibe: a beer, wine and sangria in the Italian restaurant kind of place. Cocktails are more for fancy schmancy people up in Westchester.

You know you're from LI if this is understood.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The other night I was telling a friend born in Houston about the 1980s rock clubs down by the marshes, like Speaks and OBI West (I came from Nassau). Went on to mention the LI ritual of going to a diner after clubbing at 3 am, and confided the late nite meal was the best part of the evening.

My friend was a bartender years ago, and loves his fancy cocktails. I told him LI has more of a working class vibe: a beer, wine and sangria in the Italian restaurant kind of place. Cocktails are more for fancy schmancy people up in Westchester.

Not in my day. I was bar hopping in the 70's and nobody drank beer or wine. We all drank Scotch or Rye.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:06 AM

407 posts, read 967,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post

Ny early and teen years were spent living in The Bronx, living on the Island now 23 years. I had a good friend in Brentwood and spent a lot of time there, and he'd take me to all the clubs all over, rarely knew where I was. I agree that LI has/had more of a working man's vibe, but from the Bronx I'd go to Westchester a lot too....and they had some really good places with bands and a working class vibe also (otherwise I would not have gone). Sure they had some uppidy places too, not my cup of beer...I mean..."tea".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island