Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2020, 07:45 AM

376 posts, read 311,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I have several observations:
1. Cut the price of the house by half or two-thirds and you could be talking about many places around the country, proving we all have more in common than anyone would think.
2. This is just one slice of Long Island. There are many other different family scenarios.
3. This focuses largely on outward appearances, while I’m much more interested in what’s inslde. Values count.
The difference is diversity. The high prices are what keep “people” comfortable with their surroundings. And in no way shape or form am I saying this is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 08:21 AM

412 posts, read 289,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I have several observations:
1. Cut the price of the house by half or two-thirds and you could be talking about many places around the country, proving we all have more in common than anyone would think.
2. This is just one slice of Long Island. There are many other different family scenarios.
3. This focuses largely on outward appearances, while I’m much more interested in what’s inslde. Values count.
I didn't comment on their values. This thread is called "You know you're from Long Island when..."

I just noted what I've been observing.

Many of these folks are indeed rather uncouth and undereducated. But, I make no assumptions.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:29 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Many of these folks are indeed rather uncouth and undereducated. But, I make no assumptions.
Me, ME!

I actually brought my uncouth, confrontational LI ways to the new state I'm living in with relatively low taxes. My grievance actually spurred a home visit from an assessor and then I had to make an appearance at the assessor's office (a beautiful, modern building, as opposed to Nassau County's rundown Depression-era buildings).

I have an addition in the back that doesn't look built to code and probably built with no permit. The assessor man simply added it to the square footage. I look past my yard fence and I think all my neighbors have been doing the same building those back room additions. Try that in the Town of Hempstead (nyuk, nyuk).

Post-grieving, I got a reduction of about $50. Taxes increase here at a rate of about $20 a year, and lower rates are grandfathered in until the house is sold. I suspect people here don't grieve much because they're normal, not Long Islanders.

You know you're from LI when you grieve your taxes everywhere you go. The assessor's office is enemy #1.

If I moved to a place like Alabama, where taxes would be like $500 a year, I'd still grieve because I AM FROM LONG ISLAND.

Last edited by manekeniko; 11-08-2020 at 08:37 AM..

Old 11-08-2020, 10:40 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
When you haven't lived on Long Island for a decade and you still check out this forum.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:05 AM

59 posts, read 82,422 times
>>When you haven't lived on Long Island for a decade and you still check out this forum.<<

Sheena12, you're underestimating a little bit. I haven't lived on Long Island for five decades and still check out this forum.

I grew up on the North Fork in the 1960s and delivered the now defunct Suffolk Sun morning paper on my bicycle. I drove lot cars on the farm roads when I was twelve. And after I became a bit older I eagerly awaited each summer's new crop of city girls to arrive. I worked on the day trip fishing boats out of Greenport where my main job is keeping the drunk city guys from falling over the side.

I attended my first dances at the Wharf House in Southold. I remember many races at Riverhead Raceway and also the go-carts on Sunrise Highway near Bohemia. I recall the first 'big box' store I ever saw called "Billy Blakes." And I remember after getting my driver license at sixteen being in my first of many $100 cars and hearing, 'The Day the Music Died' for the first time on the radio. And on my 17th birthday in 1971 I enlisted in the Marine Corps at the Riverhead recruiting station and left Long Island forever.

It's true what Truman Copote wrote in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' when he said, "I'm always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and their neighborhoods." And so too I always thought I would return to Long Island someday, but after a few visits over the intervening years, I realized what I remembered is long gone. On the plus side it formed a view of life I've always stayed true to and that is - always forward and never back.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:19 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
>>When you haven't lived on Long Island for a decade and you still check out this forum.<<

Sheena12, you're underestimating a little bit. I haven't lived on Long Island for five decades and still check out this forum.

I grew up on the North Fork in the 1960s and delivered the now defunct Suffolk Sun morning paper on my bicycle. I drove lot cars on the farm roads when I was twelve. And after I became a bit older I eagerly awaited each summer's new crop of city girls to arrive. I worked on the day trip fishing boats out of Greenport where my main job is keeping the drunk city guys from falling over the side.

I attended my first dances at the Wharf House in Southold. I remember many races at Riverhead Raceway and also the go-carts on Sunrise Highway near Bohemia. I recall the first 'big box' store I ever saw called "Billy Blakes." And I remember after getting my driver license at sixteen being in my first of many $100 cars and hearing, 'The Day the Music Died' for the first time on the radio. And on my 17th birthday in 1971 I enlisted in the Marine Corps at the Riverhead recruiting station and left Long Island forever.

It's true what Truman Copote wrote in 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' when he said, "I'm always drawn back to places where I have lived, the houses and their neighborhoods." And so too I always thought I would return to Long Island someday, but after a few visits over the intervening years, I realized what I remembered is long gone. On the plus side it formed a view of life I've always stayed true to and that is - always forward and never back.
Yes. I am underestimating it - not a bit, a lot. You are right.

My cousin worked on the ferry from Greenport to Shelter Island for a while.
The first movie I ever saw without my parents, and with my older cousins, was the Beatles movie "Help!". We had rented a cottage on SI for a few weeks.

Truman Capote was right about that. The only thing for me is, the Long Island I loved and understood, just isn't there anylonger.

Old 11-15-2020, 03:43 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. I am underestimating it - not a bit, a lot. You are right.

My cousin worked on the ferry from Greenport to Shelter Island for a while.
The first movie I ever saw without my parents, and with my older cousins, was the Beatles movie "Help!". We had rented a cottage on SI for a few weeks.

Truman Capote was right about that. The only thing for me is, the Long Island I loved and understood, just isn't there anylonger.

Funny thing is we are friends with people that are native to this town and are now in their mid and late 60's and they have the same lament.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:11 PM

855 posts, read 452,091 times
You know you're "on" LI when you're surrounded by sensitive sissies who complain about leaf blowers and the noise from airplanes flying overhead.

Truly spoiled 1st world problems.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:58 AM

85 posts, read 60,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
when you hear nimby's complaining about leaf blowers. I seldom here them in my neighborhood, my neighbors landscaper come once every two weeks and so does mine. 15 minutes it takes them.
Good for you?

Old 11-18-2020, 11:02 AM

85 posts, read 60,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
You know you're "on" LI when you're surrounded by sensitive sissies who complain about leaf blowers and the noise from airplanes flying overhead.

Truly spoiled 1st world problems.
Yea we live in a 1st world and pay for it, if it's not a problem for you then keep you trap shut, doesn't mean it's not a problem for someone else...

The true sissy is you, constantly opining on here giving your worthless opinion on other peoples concerns...get a life! you just hide in your basement all day that's why nothing OUTSIDE bothers you...most of us didn't work hard all our lives to listen to leafblowers every single time we step outside our homes...you probably can't relate because you either live at home with mom, live in some bumblehick area where people can't afford a landscaper, or are so old you can't hear anyway lol

so stop insulting other people's concerns that they consider real to them you sissy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island