Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 05:31 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times

Advertisements

Where do you store a ton of pellets? How big is it? Do they come in 50lbs bags?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 05:50 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Where do you store a ton of pellets? How big is it? Do they come in 50lbs bags?
40lb bags typically. I have 3 tons in the basement. The delivery was 3 pallets. I humped them into the basement myself...but you can store them outdoors if you can ensure they stay dry. Some delivery guys will stack them for you for an extra fee of course.

I was able to reduce the number of pallets from 3 to 2 by stacking higher...so plan on room for 2 pallets.

If you are really into saving money...some pellet companies will deliver you a ton of pellets in ONE HUGE BAG...then you scoop them out as you need them. Not sure where you'd put it though :-)

Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 AM

366 posts, read 1,036,696 times
Has anyone ordered wood pellets from http://www.orderpellets.com? We did, and got ripped off. No pellets and, according to the owner, no refund because he does not have the funds to give refunds. Anyone else have this situation? I disputed the charge on my credit card with the bank. Hopefully, I will be reimbursed? The actual address for orderpellets.com is 105 Depot St
Pine Bush, NY 12566. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE!

UPDATE

I actually contacted the Orange County D.A.'s Office. The investigator took all the info I had and contacted the owner. The owner then called me and said, in essence, no pellets, no refunds, I am broke and am $200K in a hole. This guy is full of it! He bit off more than he could chew. I notified my credit card company and hope to get a reimbursement.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:40 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMAMA4 View Post
Has anyone ordered wood pellets from http://www.orderpellets.com? We did, and got ripped off. No pellets and, according to the owner, no refund because he does not have the funds to give refunds. Anyone else have this situation? I disputed the charge on my credit card with the bank. Hopefully, I will be reimbursed? The actual address for orderpellets.com is 105 Depot St
Pine Bush, NY 12566. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE!

UPDATE

I actually contacted the Orange County D.A.'s Office. The investigator took all the info I had and contacted the owner. The owner then called me and said, in essence, no pellets, no refunds, I am broke and am $200K in a hole. This guy is full of it! He bit off more than he could chew. I notified my credit card company and hope to get a reimbursement.
I hope you can dispute the charges with your credit card. You did not receive the services paid for, so it should be possible. Good Luck!

I'm glad I didn't order. I had thought about it, then ended up getting from Lowes cheaper so I cancelled before giving them my cc number.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 PM

371 posts, read 938,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
They are around...but the price has shot up about $100 a ton since summer. The challenge to find them under $400 a ton right now (with delivery)

Dare I say it...they are not much cheaper than oil :-)
Even if oil was cheaper figure most folks keep heat at 68-70 degrees...Pellet stove gives you 75 if you want it and it's dry and much more comfy too...Your really getting more for less and I think the emissions on the pellets are less too...

Old 12-14-2008, 03:22 PM

371 posts, read 938,476 times
Good luck on the CC charges too!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:56 PM

249 posts, read 515,187 times
I was thinking of setting up a small pellet stove for my 2 car detached garage. Is there a way to regulate the heat to around 55 - 60 degrees? I just want to keep the shop moisture free in the winter.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:01 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
I was thinking of setting up a small pellet stove for my 2 car detached garage. Is there a way to regulate the heat to around 55 - 60 degrees? I just want to keep the shop moisture free in the winter.
You would have to buy one that has the connections for a thermostat. I believe most Englander stoves can have thermostats. Almost any wall thermostat will work...you just have to find the right stove.

Even a small pellet stove that works correctly will heat your garage just fine.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:08 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
Wouldn't a dehumidifier work better to keep the shop moisture free?

With most stoves, the thermostat will regulate the flow of heat, but will not turn the unit on and off. Ones that turn on at a certain temp and off if it gets too hot might be too pricey for a garage.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:52 PM

366 posts, read 1,036,696 times
We are still waiting to hear back from our credit card company about the pellet situation. I will let you know how it gets resolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island