Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:10 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,407 times

Advertisements

And I also suspect that if he names Caroline Kennedy to Hillary's Senate seat, he will lose a lot more votes (mine included).

From what I've seen so far, Andrew Cuomo is far more qualified than CK for the job.

I sure hope Paterson isn't going to bow to pressure and pull a McCain/Palin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 06:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I have a suspicion that whoever is advising the Governor is intentionally advising him to propose these outrageous things..... From day one (when he held press conference after press conference to tell the world about his affairs, trysts with hookers, drug use, etc) until now when he's proposing extra taxes on movies, soft drinks, music, etc.... I don't think anyone in their right mind would propose anything like this on their own. Someone in the background does NOT want this guy to be elected in once he finishes Spitzer's term.

Think about it..... most average New Yorkers are struggling everyday to get by and have a good life for themselves and their families. You may want to go to an occasional movie or let your kid buy a music download --- nothing that is absolutely essential to life, but something that is a diversion for a short time and something that people should be able to purchase without paying an extra "luxury" tax.

Guess what, Gov. Paterson.... these average NY-ers that you're placing this burden on are the same ones who will NOT vote for you in 2010.
Interesting thoughts! However, if these aren't his ideas and he is stupid enough to let backstabbing advisors advise him to do these things, then he is too clueless to be governor anyway. Also, maybe he doesn't want to run in 2010. Who knows.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:16 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
And I also suspect that if he names Caroline Kennedy to Hillary's Senate seat, he will lose a lot more votes (mine included).
He'd lose my vote too. I just can't even believe the gall of CK to ask to be appointed a U.S. Senator for the State of New York while having no experience at all serving the public. Whatever happened to starting at the bottom and working your way up? Okay, maybe she would in actuality be a terrific Senator, but we don't know because she is totally untried!!! Things are bad enough. We can't take any chances and I hope our acting governor sees it that way.

I guess maybe CK thought to herself, "If Sarah Palin almost was a heartbeat away from being President, why can't I try for a little old thing like Senator ...?"

Old 12-20-2008, 08:25 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
He'd lose my vote too. I just can't even believe the gall of CK to ask to be appointed a U.S. Senator for the State of New York while having no experience at all serving the public. Whatever happened to starting at the bottom and working your way up? Okay, maybe she would in actuality be a terrific Senator, but we don't know because she is totally untried!!! Things are bad enough. We can't take any chances and I hope our acting governor sees it that way.

I guess maybe CK thought to herself, "If Sarah Palin almost was a heartbeat away from being President, why can't I try for a little old thing like Senator ...?"
I feel the same exact way....I'd rather it be Fran Drescher than Caroline Kennedy. At least she had experience serving the Sheffield family.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:47 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post

From what I've seen so far, Andrew Cuomo is far more qualified than CK for the job.

I sure hope Paterson isn't going to bow to pressure and pull a McCain/Palin.
I totally agree.... We don't need a Senator who was brought up in privilege, never worked a day in her life, and has no clue what "reality" is.

I would like to see Andre Cuomo..... or even Fran Drescher (you have to look at her as a person and not as "the nanny" --- she's a very intelligent woman who has done a lot of lobbying, etc. AND knows what it is to be a middle class NY-er!)

Old 12-20-2008, 10:04 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
Well I'm sure she thinks if Gramps bought Daddy the presidency there's no reason she can't squeeze out a Senate seat.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:07 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
Typical Liberal. Tax everything and everyone. I hate this friggin' State more and more. Can't wait to move when I retire. NY sucks!

Old 12-20-2008, 10:22 PM

877 posts, read 2,767,730 times
Personally I think that his budget is a bluff. He has been trying to get the lesgislature to get up off their behinds and do something about the fiscal crisis that New York is in. All they have done is sit and mouth off without offering one idea. With this preliminary budget, he is forcing them to actually get their heads out of the sand and begin doing their job and think about ways to get New York on the right track. I may be wrong but I think this is the only way he can get them to start doing the work that needs to be done. He tried to get them to do it before and they wouldn't, he goes around and tries to talk to the people so that everyone understands what is happening, and he constantly says he is open to listen to any ideas that anyone has.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:18 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
PatersonÂ’s budget faces 'an uphill battle' -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics/ny-stbudg1221,0,6282377.story - broken link)

Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkss1419 View Post
Seems I am not the only one around here that sees that there are legitimate people on "welfare". I work in the health care industry and see people every day that need these services. They do not drive luxury SUVs or dress in designer clothes. These are honest people who have become disabled for one reason or another (accident, age, disease, genetic conditions) and can not afford the astronomical health care costs.
I ask a relative this all the time - why would a poor person not tied to a job, live in New York? There are other places to live where food is cheaper and it costs less to heat and cool your home, your home is cheaper (rent or purchase), there are a lot of free things to do, you don't pay to go over bridges or drive on highways and God knows they don't try to tax you because they think you weigh too much and have run out of other things to tax. The person I know has no relatives there which is a reason why I could see a sick/disabled person staying. I understand that most people are tied to a location because of a job, but unless you are giving away a whole lot of free stuff using other people's money, why would a poor person without a job want to live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island