Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:53 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times

Advertisements

Looks like us NYer's wont be able to do anything without paying. Its bad enough we pay the highest taxes in the nation. Now we will be swallowing alot more of the burden. Our schools tax's will be jumping too. He made the biggest funding cut in history to our schools!
Its going to get ugly people!!!

wcbstv.com - Extreme Measures: Paterson Unveils Dire NYS Budget (http://wcbstv.com/local/governor.paterson.taxes.2.888328.html - broken link)

http://www.budget.state.ny.us/pubs/press/2008/press_release08_eBudget0910-2.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 06:05 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Like I said before, I'm annoyed because none of the Governor's cuts eliminate the millions the state spends each year on illegal aliens. Paterson thinks it's more appropriate to make the citizens suffer again. He will be a ONE TERM governor...

Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
Im fired up about the STAR Rebate credit that is getting cut...but the aid for welfare grants is going up 10%. It really just blows my mind!! I dont understand what this admins. is thinking. Taxing reg. sodas, Ipods, clothes and food under $100, beer? I mean lets get real here.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:36 PM

187 posts, read 863,551 times
I think it's a disgrace.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:37 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,602,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Taxing reg. sodas, Ipods, clothes and food under $100, beer? I mean lets get real here.
Not playing Devil's Advocate here but.... Not so long ago, ALL clothing was subject to sales tax. And I see nothing anywhere about groceries being taxed any more than they are already. "Essential" foodstuffs (like, milk, eggs, produce, etc) have always been tax free and I can't imagine that they are going to start now. Please post a link to the "food tax" info because I couldn't find anything about that via Google nor in the links provided.

As far as taxing sugared sodas, they have always been treated as a luxury/nonessential food. Water and milk are essential foodstuffs; sodas aren't. They aren't even good for you. Notice it's being called an "obesity tax" and I applaud the concept of taxing cr*p like this.

Sorry but IMO there are more reasons to "sin tax" stuff like beer, wine, alcohol, and cigarettes than to either not tax them or give them a break. Again, nonesssentials.

Sodas, beers, movies, iPods, and other luxury items are all discretionary spending, not necessities of life. Nobody's twisting anyone's arm to buy any of the things that the taxes will go up on. In fact in the case of sodas, beer, etc etc people would be better off healthwise if they consumed less of those things than they currently do.

The school aid/budgets are another thing entirely. That's an increase that people cannot escape by simply opting not to buy an item, or to buy less of it. The individual has no control over that, and it's a huge part of any homeowners budget.

I'd rather see a whopping increase in the sales tax across the board than the same amount of money raised via decreased aid/increased school taxes.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:55 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,174 times
Well I'd like to be the one who decides if I want Diet or not and in a way the State is making that decision for me.

Also the uptick in welfare benefits is obscene. If I have to see one more welfare case buy ho-ho's with the wic card then hop in the new SUV there will be violence.

Also the illegals issue is relevant. And true. These non-contibutors are sucking the life out of us, all in the name of manicured lawns.

I'd love to walk into work in about a month and tell my boss I'd love to get a haircut but I can't afford the tax.

Also Patterson said the STAR rebates didn't offer real relief??? It was half of my heating bill last year. I wonder if we'd double his heating bill what he'd have to say about it.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:24 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,472,766 times
If it's going to be an "obesity" tax, then they should jump right in and include milk, eggs, and butter in that. People don't NEED milk. Babies don't NEED milk. Milk is nothing but fat juice and it's only good for baby cows. Butter? Arteryclogging FAT. Eggs? Don't get me started. None of these items are essential for ANYONE.

I think is despicable that he's cutting school spending and raising welfare spending. I agree with John --- if they would stop giving illegals free healthcare and make them pay for their child's education, the state could save a fortune.

Here's a great idea: Why not cut the salaries of these overpaid politicians who do nothing but talk crap and kow-tow to whoever is most convenient at the time. They are NOT performing a specialized trade. Why not give them a wage of, say, $18/hour, 3 paid weeks' vacation, and 12 sick days a year? If they want health/dental coverage, they must pay the premiums like the rest of us. They must drive their own vehicles to work (and pay for their own tolls/gas/maintenance) and they must pay for their own meals (including when they take people out to lunch/dinner). I'm sure this would raise a ton of revenue.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:28 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Here's a great idea: Why not cut the salaries of these overpaid politicians who do nothing but talk crap and kow-tow to whoever is most convenient at the time. They are NOT performing a specialized trade. Why not give them a wage of, say, $18/hour, 3 paid weeks' vacation, and 12 sick days a year? If they want health/dental coverage, they must pay the premiums like the rest of us. They must drive their own vehicles to work (and pay for their own tolls/gas/maintenance) and they must pay for their own meals (including when they take people out to lunch/dinner). I'm sure this would raise a ton of revenue.
that seems to be the common idea from "we the people", but "we the people" do not run this government anymore, and do not choose how money is really spent. they should put things like this up for vote.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,472,766 times
It's a shame that "we the people" can't organize a revolution against the crooks that are running our federal, state, and local government.....

Old 12-17-2008, 11:31 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
It's a shame that "we the people" can't organize a revolution against the crooks that are running our federal, state, and local government.....
I know, trust me, I try to get ppl motivated to get involved here and across the internet, seems people love to talk but when it comes time to call and write their reps they are too busy.
Our country is being hijacked by the rich elite "illuminati" and no one seems the wiser, by the time ppl realize it will be too late, the U.S. will have become a 3rd world country of crumbling infrastructure, no middle class, and just the rich few in their gated communities with the rest of us at their mercy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island