Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 PM

222 posts, read 892,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
The test scores for Westbury HS are within the 10 worst on LI. There are many, many positives about this area and I've defended it many times on these forums, but the schools are a huge negative. Maybe the teachers are excellent, and I've never heard that the atmosphere in Westbury HS is dangerously crazy like some other low scoring places get (ie: kids getting stabbed at Hempstead, brawls in Freeport), but as far as things we can actually quantify - the school stinks.

Weird thing about WHS is that it looks like it'd be one of LI's best. Nice looking building sitting up on Jericho Turnpike, it's got footbridges over the road and is surrounded by million dollar homes. Obviously somebody threw a lot of money at it at one point!
True...again...it's been the NC element driving those numbers. Again, many folks simply send their kids to private school because they like the area. Those million-dollar homes across the street from me are also zoned for WHS...do you think that they're kids are attending WHS??? LOL!!! Since you can't rezone NC out of the Westbury SD you basically have to regentrificate NC in order to attract more affluent folks in the area to the schools which will yield scholastic results more in line with L.I. best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 10:48 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
The solution for Westbury schools is what I've said in the past and it's very controvertial. Cut New Cassel loose and have it form its own district where they can deal with their problems without ruining Westbury home values.
The new school bldg could be built off Arbor Ln as well, seems to be a large vacant piece of property there bordering the pkwy.
I know politics wont allow this to happen, but the seperation of New cassel from Westbury would definately help Westbury. Better schools = better property values = better town.
And it would be better for New Cassel too, they'll have a nice new school for the JHS and HS and it will be closer, which would raise their values as well. It certainly won't happen overnight, but it is an idea that should not be dismissed so easily.
Don't know enough about that area to voice an opinion, however, building a new school would significantly raise school taxes... that building has to be paid for and in this economic climate, I don't think anyone is going to vote for spending more money...

Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
True...again...it's been the NC element driving those numbers. Again, many folks simply send their kids to private school because they like the area. Those million-dollar homes across the street from me are also zoned for WHS...do you think that they're kids are attending WHS??? LOL!!! Since you can't rezone NC out of the Westbury SD you basically have to regentrificate NC in order to attract more affluent folks in the area to the schools which will yield scholastic results more in line with L.I. best.
The problem is New Cassel isn't even close to being regentrified. Those new buildings they built are staying empty, and the new apts they built at Union and Maple are "housing projects".
I blame the Town of North Hempstead for alot of this mess, if they just cracked down on all the illegal, overcrowded rooming houses in New Cassel it would go a long way to improving the area.
As far as the commercial development goes, having more bodegas, check cashing places, and medicaid doctors isn't going to cut it. They need mainstream places, banks, store chains,etc. But with a recession now that will be a tall order.
Better enforcement of housing laws and getting mainstream business on Prospect and Union Aves is the best way of straightening out N.C., but I aint holding my breath.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Don't know enough about that area to voice an opinion, however, building a new school would significantly raise school taxes... that building has to be paid for and in this economic climate, I don't think anyone is going to vote for spending more money...
Well maybe when the ecomomic climate improves. You also have to factor in how it would save money, less $$ for busing,etc.
I am generally for smaller school districts, not larger ones. And to think some people want Nassau County to set up a school district!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:24 AM

48 posts, read 137,823 times
Yes test scores for Westbury are horrible but, fortunately the high school is not one of those places where you are bound to fail. Like one poster said, someone went through the entire school district and is now in Harvard. There are many cases like this in the high school. Someone can go to that high school and still end up living a decent life. There are school districts in NY that are way worse.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 PM

172 posts, read 719,032 times
well i decided to place a offer on the house and see what happens. If i do get it then I'll have to see 6-8 year down the line. we never know... things might get better. if not then private school it is then.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:33 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,286 times
To all the people posting that the test scores in Westbury are horrible have you looked at them or just assumed?

If you look at them (Westbury High School, Old Westbury, NY - Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com) they are no where near as bad as you make them out to be. Not even close. The elementary school has even won a few national awards in education. Go to any of the school racking sites (greatschool.com).

Most of the issues people have with the school is who goes to the school. Not the quality of the education.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 PM

172 posts, read 719,032 times
so im confused about "zoning" . are you zoned for the school thats closest to your address or can you go to any school thats in your school zone?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
so im confused about "zoning" . are you zoned for the school thats closest to your address or can you go to any school thats in your school zone?

As a general rule, within a school district, your property is zoned for a specific elementary school, and in those districts with multiple middle schools/junior high school and highs schools, for a specific middle school/junior high school and high school.

From time to time, depending on population trends and/or shifts, the school district's school board can change any or all of these elementary, middle school/junior high school and/or high school zones.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:02 PM

82 posts, read 180,066 times
Default Won't buy ur dime for a quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
To all the people posting that the test scores in Westbury are horrible have you looked at them or just assumed?

If you look at them (Westbury High School, Old Westbury, NY - Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com) they are no where near as bad as you make them out to be. Not even close. The elementary school has even won a few national awards in education. Go to any of the school racking sites (greatschool.com).

Most of the issues people have with the school is who goes to the school. Not the quality of the education.
Anyone that rigs the School Board elections should not be trusted with any test scores.
Westbury School District is Incompetent, bottom line. I know 100%
Maybe next year, with a new board members things might change. I'm sick of paying for lawsuits because of Clark the 300k/year Super.
I hope Rocco Lanzilotta (new board member)can bring the taxpayers in the know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island