Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 4,059 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am considering purchasing a house in Hicksville. It is located in between Broadway Mall and the Golf Course. I have been looking around the forum and have seen mixed reviews on Hicksville. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who lives near or around the area.
Thanks for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM

119 posts, read 451,875 times
umm... I have mixed reviews about that area... West John Street is not only a main road but its also an industrial area.. So your gonna hear alot of trucks and cars goin up and down that road. Although Living right near the mall is very convienent and the Post office has great hours (even though thats something minor)

As far as the houses are concerned, Some of them look decent and some look good. Im not too sure if that particular area of hicksville has much crime.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:59 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
That area between the mall and the golf course...bad, probably one of the worse spots, large amount of illegal apts and overcrowded homes and illegals.
The 7-11 on W.John St has had problems and has had to put up No Loitering signs.
Of course if anyone saw News 12 today the economy may help alleviate the infestation problem.
If you want Hicksville, I'd say east of Broadway and north of the mall, or, in the section which is closer to Levittown (Spindle Lane area). Those are much nicer and safer.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
I believe, one of the things to look out for is how many owner occupied homes there are vs. how many legal rentals, including apartments.
Generally, the more rentals, the less pride of ownership--you take it from there

Old 02-12-2009, 02:47 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,419 times
Go to the area YOURSELF, and go there, NOT only at rush hours, but off peak hours, to see Just what's going on there.

DONT believe ANYTHING until you see it, and DONT believe the real estate agent...they will sell their Mother to the concentration camps, for a sale during normal times, so you can just imagine how they would LOVE to rip you off NOW !

Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Hicksville

Quote:
Originally Posted by krenonyc View Post
I am considering purchasing a house in Hicksville.

For those who may not be familiar with Hicksville:

Hicksville is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-west part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the east-central part of Nassau

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Jericho and the Hamlet of Syosset; on the east by the Hamlet of Plainview and the Hamlet of Bethpage; on the south by the Hamlet of Levittown in the Town of Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead town line); and, on the west by the Hamlet of Salisbury in the Town of Hempstead and the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/Hempstead/North Hempstead town line).

The Hamlet of Hicksville has a different border than does the "Hicksville, NY 11801" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Hicksville and a place can be in the Hamlet of Hicksville and have other than a "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address): places with a "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Hicksville are in the Hamlet of Jericho; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Hicksville that have a "Bethpage, NY 11714", "Jericho, NY 11753" and "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 02-12-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Go to the area YOURSELF, and go there, NOT only at rush hours, but off peak hours, to see Just what's going on there.

DONT believe ANYTHING until you see it, and DONT believe the real estate agent...they will sell their Mother to the concentration camps, for a sale during normal times, so you can just imagine how they would LOVE to rip you off NOW !
Excuse me, but your ignorance is showing!
I don't know how many of the 25,000+ Long Island RE agents you know personally--obviously not enough or you wouldn't make comments like that.

With regard to describing locations, the Fair Housing Act prohibits us from making specific statements one way or the other. Which is why - as I have stated in another post - I suggest buyers go at different times to get a feel for the neighborhood.

Absolute generalizations such as yours speak of ignorance.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:13 PM

732 posts, read 1,734,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
It's LI Mike. If he didn't post generalizations, stereotypes and trolling, he wouldn't post at all.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
It's LI Mike. If he didn't post generalizations, stereotypes and trolling, he wouldn't post at all.

LOL thanks for the clarification! Still no excuse though...

Old 02-13-2009, 03:25 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Excuse me, but your ignorance is showing!
I don't know how many of the 25,000+ Long Island RE agents you know personally--obviously not enough or you wouldn't make comments like that.

With regard to describing locations, the Fair Housing Act prohibits us from making specific statements one way or the other. Which is why - as I have stated in another post - I suggest buyers go at different times to get a feel for the neighborhood.

PLEASE, your "slip" is showing.

If a person is NUTTY enough to depend on a slimy, real Estate Broker, and their URGE to "Bum Rush" a Customer, into making a BIG decision like this...AND NOT GET OFF THEIR BUTT AND LOOK AT THE NEIGHBORHOOD THEY ARE PLANNING ON GETTING INTO... they deserve to be "taken" to the cleaners !

Don't tell me...you have a House Inspector to recommend too, right ? GEEEE tanks, for Nuttin' !

Don't give me that "Fair Housing Act" crap-ola, either ! Who are you trying to impress ? Your Boss, that you passed your license test ?

WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL, with that BOY SCOUT routine ?

Last edited by longislandmike; 02-13-2009 at 03:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island