Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:12 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,474,305 times

Advertisements

The "cancer clusters" on LI have been talked about for decades. Most blame it on:

1. The pesticides used to kill off the potato fields back in the 50s/60s

2. The "high tension" LILCO wires

3. All the pesticides people use to keep their lawns green & lush.... ever wonder where all that poison goes once it seeps into the soil or runs off when it rains??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 06:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Let's not forget smoking and drinking also raise the risk of certain kind's of cancer as well. I am going to go with drinking, smoking and the above average amounts of toxic materials in the soil and water supply.

Look at what the Dzus factory did in West Islip by pouring toxic waste into the creek ... and the EPA and NYSDEC does nothing.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:18 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,935,331 times
its a combo of all of the things mentioned here.
Did you know more gasoline is accidentally spilled each year while trying to fill landscape equipment than the amount of the Exxon Valdez spill ?
Yep every year right in the ground.
Never mind the highly toxic chemicals that people use to keep species of grass that are not native to LI green all going into the ground. How about the amount the comes into their homes via the feet of their family & pets.
You know that smell your non-stick cookware makes if you heat it up too fast? Did you ever read up on what those fumes do to lab rats or in some cases innocent pet birds?
The cleaners that we use contain toxins. Kids spend every summer swimming in pools filled with chemicals that you wouldn't put on your food.
For years we've been addicted to parasite filled bottled water and up until recently the bottles were made of the kind of plastic that leeches toxins after time or if it changes temperature, ever leave a bottle of water in your car then drink it anyway?
Microwaving food in plastic storage containers everyone does it-is it a good idea?
cell phones, bluetooths, satellite signals flowing around in our homes & cars, 50 years ago none of it existed, is it part of the problem?
The hormones, pesticides and antibiotics in our food supply is insane. The USDA is probably the most corrupt of all of our government agencies.
I am an organic gardener and I raise animals for food supply, believe me when I tell you the mass produced food in this country is NOT safe.

Most of what we have going on with cancer is caused by human behavior...I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:20 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Like I've said before I work for one of the highest rated cancer centers in the US. All we do is CA, thats it. I can't tell you how many people we get from the island.

What about the fact that most of LI was farmland, for a long time? What about that peach farm up near Port Jeff. that they sold and now they're a ton of townhouses there? How much crap do you think they dumped into soil over how many years? Now your kids are playing in that soil.

Also obesity, poor diet and a miriad of other factors contribute.

P.S. I already know I'm getting a tumor and when I do I'm naming it Crooks.
Gee thanks

crooks

Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 AM

939 posts, read 2,682,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Try not to drink the water. Everyone on LI puts some type of chemical on their lawn for that perfect lawn. The chemicals have to go somewhere. Its a sure bet your body does not like those chemicals!
Very true. Especially since fresh water on LI is from aquifers beneath rather than resevoirs upstate.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:53 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Very true. Especially since fresh water on LI is from aquifers beneath rather than resevoirs upstate.

Guys...unless your drinking out of a well.

Youre fine.
Our aquifer is way deep

crooks

Old 01-03-2009, 07:59 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,603,030 times
I think it's a combination of environmental factors and genetic predisposition.

I grew up in the 1950s/60s on Long Island, and those were the days where people routinely sprayed chlordane around their house, and DDT was widely used as well. However, on the flip side, most people did their own lawns and I don't think the constant use of chemicals was as heavy as it became in the 1980s, 90s, and today. My dad never used fertilizer or weed killer on our lawn, and I don't think most of the neighbors did either. It was enough just to water and mow it!

Then of course there were all those decks that were built during the 1960s and 70s with CCA lumber (arsenic-impregnated); people walked barefoot on it, the stuff leached into the ground with every rain, etc.

The major reason why I would never own a house with well water is that I'd be spending a fortune to constantly test it for contaminants as well as for a state of the art filtration system. At least with Suffolk County Water I know that the testing and filtration is being done properly before the stuff even gets to me. We still use an excellent undercounter microbiological filter for all water that we drink or cook with, but that's a lot less hassle and expense than what I would be putting myself through if I had well water.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,474,305 times
There have also been "cancer clusters" of children... I heard about this several years ago. Some rare forms of cancer in children being found in "clusters" of children on LI....

Old 01-03-2009, 12:45 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,288,785 times
Look at what the Dzus factory did in West Islip by pouring toxic waste into the creek ... and the EPA and NYSDEC does nothing.

Is that the one on Union Blvd. across from Stop and Shop? What did they make there anyway?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

Is that the one on Union Blvd. across from Stop and Shop? What did they make there anyway?
Bolts, fasteners, etc and yes that's the location.

As for cancer, cancer existed long before LIPA high tension wires, cell phones, etc and remember now that we can detect it easier more people will obviously be diagnosed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island